Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times

Advertisements

Anyways, to get back to this post. I guess tricks for me would be:

1. Eating all the time, but never getting that full and tired feeling.
2. Dont waste time on the gym. It's a farce. Use that time if you will to look into how your body works when you feed it. If you work extremely hard for an hour at the gym, you MIGHT burn 300 calories (and that's sweating your socks off). Do you know how quickly in a day you can blow that whole gym work out with just one single serving of low fat chips? Trust me, you'll get out of the gym and be hungry and needing energy and what's the first thing you do? You eat. Even healthy food has calories. Goodbye 300 that you just burned.
3. Stay away (for the first while anyways) anything that will turn to 'glue' in your system. Think of whatever food you want to eat. Imagine it going into a bowl and you pouring hot water over it. After 30 minutes, does it just turn into a paste? If so, STAY AWAY. That's what it's doing in your insides and it's hard to burn off.[/quote]

Are you kidding? Exercise is most definitely NOT a farce. If you work hard for an hour at the gym to the point of sweating you're going to burn a lot more than 300 calories. Our bodies need exercise and physical activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 6,680 times
Exercise IS a farce for weight loss. Its healthy for your body and you should get some form of exercise, but if you're trying to loose weight, it's very inefficient. Sorry.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I have seen people at the gym that never seem to lose weight. I asked one time about that and one of the trainers told me this:

Lets say that you drink a can of Pepsi (150 calories) a candy bar (120 calories) and it takes you maybe 5 minutes or less to get that into your body. How much time does it take to burn that off? an hour? a half hour? Get the idea?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflyst View Post
I lost 135lbs 4 years ago and I've kept every pound off since. I'm 5'9 and weigh 145lbs today.

I get so sad when I see people, including my own family, struggle to loose weight and just get it .... wrong. I eat more today (and not just the healthy foods either) than did at any other point in my life, and I'm going on 38. Plus, I haven't worked out a day in all that time and dont intent to. Working out sucks and is a big fat waste of time.

In a lot of ways, it's super simple, but there are a lot of things you need to know on how your body processes food and why it retains, vs sheds the calories. Anyone can find out if you research like I did. I'm not some super smarty pants, just got sick and tired of being fat.

While it is not overly complicated, it takes a lot of typing out that I just don't have time for at the moment. I'll give you a quick snapshot.

To know about your metabolism: Think of it like a paper shredder or garbage disposal. You don't want to jam in there more than the machine can handle and you also don't want to let it run dry for any more than a short period of time. It's a 'sweet' spot of how much to give it so that it runs at peak performance. It's the same thing with your metabolism. Most people are either stuffing your belly too full, or then they diet and they don't give it enough. The absolute WORST is when you don't give it enough. because it quickly 'learns' there is something not right and it will store all those calories you DO give it as fat. There is a reason your stomach gives a hunger pang and when you tell it you are ignoring it, it freaks out and will conserve. Never EVER let your stomach go hungry. Take food with you where ever you go.

You are going to have to learn to listen to your body and feed it when it wants food, and don't stuff it full when it doesn't. It takes some practice, but before long you will forget about it and it will just become second nature. My sister (who is over weight) complains all the time how I can be skinny yet eat 24/7. I used to be much heavier than her, but its not just WHAT you eat, but the key is when and how much. Also, forget dinner. You dont eat meals now, you eat when you are hungry. I probably eat 'something' more than once an hour and I'm up until probably 2am most nights and that goes on all day for me. I've been up for less than 2 hours and I've already ate 4 eggs, 2 ricecakes smothered with peanut butter, and an apple and I'll probably get up and find something to eat again real soon.

The other major thing to know about is the food aspect and 'what' to eat. Once you loose the weight and get your metabolism working for you again, you can pretty much eat anything you desire, but until then, it takes a bit of work to eat the right things to get to that point. I could probably give a list of good and bad foods, but I'm pressed for time, so I'll just keep it short for now. Sugar is bad. It will go straight to your thighs. And I mean all sugar, which includes bread, pasta, rice, fruits, ... it all turns the same in your body. Now I have sugar all the time (both good and bad sugar), but at first you cant give that to your body because it will store it vs shedding and burning it - not what you want. At the beginning, concentrate on eating lean proteins (chicken breast, tuna, lean turkey, salmon) and vegetables. You must eat this all the time. Don't starve in any way, so you'll be making and munching A LOT. This is where my family gets confused. My sister says she must be doing something wrong because she eats and within 20 minutes she's hungry again. THATS PERFECT!! It's training your metabolism sooo good an yet you want to stop it? Arg. Needless to say, she doesn't get it. If she would keep that going for just a short while, she could go back to slowly introducing all the crap she already eats and her body would just burn it off.

Anyways, to get back to this post. I guess tricks for me would be:

1. Eating all the time, but never getting that full and tired feeling.
2. Dont waste time on the gym. It's a farce. Use that time if you will to look into how your body works when you feed it. If you work extremely hard for an hour at the gym, you MIGHT burn 300 calories (and that's sweating your socks off). Do you know how quickly in a day you can blow that whole gym work out with just one single serving of low fat chips? Trust me, you'll get out of the gym and be hungry and needing energy and what's the first thing you do? You eat. Even healthy food has calories. Goodbye 300 that you just burned.
3. Stay away (for the first while anyways) anything that will turn to 'glue' in your system. Think of whatever food you want to eat. Imagine it going into a bowl and you pouring hot water over it. After 30 minutes, does it just turn into a paste? If so, STAY AWAY. That's what it's doing in your insides and it's hard to burn off.
Very interesting take on everything. I've never in my life heard of this method to lose weight. But it's interesting. I just drastically changed my diet, and I'm noticing I'm hungry frequently--like every hour or two. I usually will try to eat something, but today I went volunteering and I wasn't able to eat for 5 hours after I originally ate, I was hungry in between that time, but wasn't able to eat. Now I'm not hungry but eating because I only had 1200 calories, and I've lifted weights, walked a ton today and breastfeed. So I tried eating some fruits, green beans, a glass of soymilk, and peanut butter with brown rice(when I first got home). I think your method is interesting--how did you know when it was okay to start eating the bad stuff?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 AM

7 posts, read 6,680 times
It's not really a 'method'. It's just doing what works, I guess.

Being hungry is good. It means there is nothing in your tank and your body is asking for food (and who doesnt want to eat?). Feed it and feed it fast and you'll be set. Just make sure that until you train it that it will always get food and never go hungry, or get stuffed with more than it can handle, you cant just feed it anything at first. Feed it what you would call diet food. Vegetables and protein mainly. Always keep that engine going, always giving it just enough to keep working and before you know it, it will burn off whatever you throw at it. I promise. I know it sounds stupid in a way, but I guarentee you.

Also, I know you're trying to count calories, but it's not really the best way to go about it. Just listen to your stomach and feed it when it signals you. Just remember for the first bit, healthy food only. No 'paste' especially. Not even wheat bread. Dont give your body anything to 'hang' onto, and that paste stuff does just that.

Brown rice is super high in carbohydrates. Any rice is. I know brown rice is better health wise, but stay away from all the starchy stuff for a bit. I dont mean to sound preachy, but it just doesnt help you in the weight loss. If you're interested, I could probably give you a do's and dont's for a list of foods in the beginning if you want (just from my own tastebuds and finding out what works anyways).

As for knowing when you can start eating 'bad' foods? There's not a schedule for it, but I'd probably say around the 2-3 month mark should be more than enough time. You'll know it when you step on the scale the following morning if your body can handle it yet. As an example, I used to starve myself. I tried every diet for years. I would go months without eating much at all (worst mistake!!). As just one example, one night I had a weakness where I had to eat something and I nuked 1/2 a bag of frozen peas. The next morning I'd gone up 4lbs. My body was literally hanging into every calorie, good or bad, and every drop of fluid that I was giving it. You'll know how your body does based on what it hangs onto and what it doesn't. I still weigh myself every morning and that's how I know how my body is doing. Of course now I go to the all you can eat buffets, but that's a few years in where I've gotten my metabolism up. Dont get me wrong, every couple of weeks or so I go up a few lbs and it tells me I need watch the chocolate bars and such, but it only takes a day or so and I'm back on track. And I annihilated my metabolism for years and years (and years). If mine can bounce back, so can anybodys.

Anyways, hope this helps some

Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have seen people at the gym that never seem to lose weight. I asked one time about that and one of the trainers told me this:

Lets say that you drink a can of Pepsi (150 calories) a candy bar (120 calories) and it takes you maybe 5 minutes or less to get that into your body. How much time does it take to burn that off? an hour? a half hour? Get the idea?
So in layman's terms for anyone who doesn't understand this; watch the calories and you'll do fine?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,238 times
1. Choose food and drinks that provide high vitamins and/or antioxidant.
2. Cut out the simple carbs. It's empty calories.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflyst View Post
Exercise IS a farce for weight loss. Its healthy for your body and you should get some form of exercise, but if you're trying to loose weight, it's very inefficient. Sorry.
No, it's not a farce. Not by a long shot. If you are burning more calories than you are taking in you will lose weight. However if you make up the calories that you burn by exercising then you will not lose weight. Muscle mass ups the metabolism a bit to burn calories more efficiently and also after a good workout the body will continue to burn calories at a higher rate for a few hours. So, it's not a farce.
Exercise is necessary for people who reach their goal weight to maintain that weight. Exercise is so important for a healthy body it cannot be stressed enough.
A lot of different dieting theories come and go, but the tried and true will always be the gold standard - eat a variety of whole fresh foods, use moderation, stay away from processed foods, and simple carbs. Burn more than you take in. It takes dedication, will power and determination.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I drink a ton of water (which is drinking and not eating)
Always eat breakfast
Always eat something before I work out (to reduce risk of hypoglycemia). Typically a big tablespoon of peanut butter (because it is easy and fast here at work) or a protein shake.

Buy on sale and in bulk if possible, especially things like cheese.
Buy things that aren't mechanically processed or individually wrapped as that adds cost.
Buy store brand for bulk things like oatmeal, sugar, flour, etc. (check price per ounce and compare)
Drink work coffee because it is free.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exercise is necessary for people who reach their goal weight to maintain that weight.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Exercise is so important for a healthy body it cannot be stressed enough.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss