Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,659,449 times

Advertisements

I try real hard to follow Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants."

Avoiding processed foods, drinking only coffee (one cup), tea and water and one glass of wine with dinner keeps me in decent shape.

I don't keep sugary or any snack foods in the house. My will power is weak so I don't bring the stuff home. A snack might be celery with a little nut butter or a sliced apple with a bit of nut butter.

When my sweet tooth cannot be denied I answer the call with a good dark chocolate. That's real satisfying.

My biggest challenge is portion control--if something tastes delicious, I want more of it...

Luckily I love salads and often have one for dinner topped with some sliced chicken breast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,360 times
What?!
I think that a jelly donut and a margarita is the perfect meal because it has all four of the major food groups:
Refined sugar, saturated fat, salt, and alcohol!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I try real hard to follow Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants."

Luckily I love salads and often have one for dinner topped with some sliced chicken breast.
I agree. Correct advice.
We need to use all available means, for example, I used diet, jogging and Raspberry (natura-meds.net).
All together gave a great result!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
For me, the best thing is to not have any unhealthy/bad food items in the house. If I dont buy it at the market, it wont be in my house, which means I wont eat it. Simple.

Drink only water with meals. For certain occasions (monday night football, bbq, etc.) drink beer or 6oz of red wine but NEVER any sugary/carbonated or fruit juice.
My favorite post of the entire thread.

Remember, this thread is asking about eating HABITS so this is one of the best habits you can have.

Also, I do the following:

Go very easy on the fruits. Too much fruit = too much sugar. Fruits are NOT a free food. Too many people who are not well informed on healthy nutrition are ignorant to this and load up on the fruits and end up in not a good place.
Go heavy on the green veggies. Heavy in moderation. Well balanced nutrition intake is important.
Learn proper nutrition. This is about as simple as it gets, yet for so many people, they seem to either refuse to do this, or, they are incapable of doing it.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM

840 posts, read 1,146,963 times
I try to drink green tea with my meals and throughout the day. If there isn't any, I drink black (It provides the same benefit to the lesser extent). 1. It provides antioxidants. 2. It increases hydration of your skin 3. It's anti-inflammatory. 4. It suppresses hunger 5. It reduces advanced glycation end product formation( you know the stuff that makes your skin wrinkley as you age). I've also switched my at home rice consumption to black rice, which provides more antioxidant than blueberries.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
My best habits are...

1. I do not keep junk food in the house.
2. I plan my meals.
3. I prepare all of my meals at home.
4. I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
5. I keep a food journal.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
My favorite post of the entire thread.

Remember, this thread is asking about eating HABITS so this is one of the best habits you can have.

Also, I do the following:

Go very easy on the fruits. Too much fruit = too much sugar. Fruits are NOT a free food. Too many people who are not well informed on healthy nutrition are ignorant to this and load up on the fruits and end up in not a good place.
Go heavy on the green veggies. Heavy in moderation. Well balanced nutrition intake is important.
Learn proper nutrition. This is about as simple as it gets, yet for so many people, they seem to either refuse to do this, or, they are incapable of doing it.
As a newly diagnosed diabetic, I completely agree with this. A lot of people on diabetes forums report feeling their blood sugar spike with just a single banana. People tend to forget that fruits have natural sugars that can be just as bad as regular sugars.

I guess my best healthy eating habits is that in the last 10 years I have embraced vegetables a lot more. After pretty much hating vegetables my entire life prior to that, I am glad I can eat them now and enjoy them.

Another good thing is I got rid of all unhealthy food in my house and gave it all to my neighbor or told my BF he can eat it all. Plus now after being extremely healthy for the last 2 months, anything unhealthy pretty much grosses me out. Since I have had to cut down sugar, I don't even crave it anymore like I used to. It generally takes about 2-3 weeks of any kind of change before you either give up or go forward.

The best thing I did was decide to use an app to track my eating and exercise habits. I can't even begin to tell you how much of an eye opener it is when you realize just how much crap is in foods you eat every day. Even what people think are healthy options are not. A multi grain bagel with low fat cream cheese from Dunkin Donuts is 500 calories. When you're on a 1200 calorie diet, that's a lot.

So far I'm down 15 lbs since Thanksgiving, and I've dropped my blood sugar from 126 to 112 and glucose from 7.2% to 6.8% since the middle of December.

Last edited by Miss J 74; 01-22-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,047,178 times
I agree with you about bananas. I buy the smallest organic bananas that i can find and eat half. They are densely carbohydrate and full of sugar...fruit is wonderful and good for you in moderation. Leafy greens and lots of them are so good for you. Miss J you are doing well. Good luck to you.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,360 times
I don't eat unless I'm hungry.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM

525 posts, read 760,787 times
I eat blackberries everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss