Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Eat REAL food (nothing with a label)

Water water water water water water.
Not being snarky here, but do you make your own bread, tortillas and pasta, or just not eat it? Do you ever eat beans from a can or tomato sauce, or make all that from fresh ingredients?

Kudos to you if you're really not eating anything with a label, but it makes me wonder about how long it takes you to fix dinner. I'm going to cook what I consider "real food" for dinner, but I'll be using some elbow macaroni out of a box along with some diced tomatoes, as well as local grass fed beef and some fresh veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
I don't know how this is going to work, but I read a book about French parenting and it included a lot of information about the French style of eating (the French Paradox). The author was writing about how French women remain slim and lose their weight from pregnancy within months.

I picked up some tips.

What caught my attention was that they didn't eat protein at dinner...only soup (vegetable) with some hearty bread or a salad and maybe a bit of pasta or potato.

The protein was eaten at lunch only.

They had a light snack/tea (with a bit of pastry) at around 4 and ate dinner late, around 8 PM. That's not going to work for us, we like to eat at 6-6:30 PM>

They did not snack at all.

So, I'm trying the no protein thing at dinner. And it's hard to break the habit of poultry, beef, fish or pork for dinner. Tonight we had half a baked squash and a large green salad with home-made citrus/vinegar dressing. It was good. My husband said he found it filling.

I'll report back. Quite a change in our usual way of eating. I want to eat more vegetables and this seems to be a way to do it.

Your thoughts?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,408,175 times
1) I eat when I'm hungry. I'm usually not hungry in the morning, so I don't eat breakfast; I'll have a small fruit snack in the afternoon and for dinner, a protein, carb and maybe a salad, water and either a glass of wine or crystal light. Sometimes I'll eat breakfast on the weekends, but I'll have to be in the mood because I go big - eggs, bacon, French toast, grits and fruit.
2) No sodas. I may have one on the weekends if I'm really craving one.
3) Limit eating out to once a week. When I do eat out, I don't restrict myself.
4) I don't eat after 6 or 7pm.
5) I give in to my cravings - if I feel like eating fried chicken wings for dinner, I'll do that, but I'll make it a point to eat better the next day.

I think you have to try different things and find what works best for you. Everyone's different. I've done the 6 small meals a day, instead of 3 and listened to the nutrionists and ate breakfast everyday. I didn't lose any weight (didn't gain either) and I was miserable because I was bloated, gassy and sleepy all day. Following the above, I've lost 20 pounds and I feel better than I have in years.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,839,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I don't know how this is going to work, but I read a book about French parenting and it included a lot of information about the French style of eating (the French Paradox). The author was writing about how French women remain slim and lose their weight from pregnancy within months.

I picked up some tips.

What caught my attention was that they didn't eat protein at dinner...only soup (vegetable) with some hearty bread or a salad and maybe a bit of pasta or potato.

The protein was eaten at lunch only.

They had a light snack/tea (with a bit of pastry) at around 4 and ate dinner late, around 8 PM. That's not going to work for us, we like to eat at 6-6:30 PM>

They did not snack at all.

So, I'm trying the no protein thing at dinner. And it's hard to break the habit of poultry, beef, fish or pork for dinner. Tonight we had half a baked squash and a large green salad with home-made citrus/vinegar dressing. It was good. My husband said he found it filling.

I'll report back. Quite a change in our usual way of eating. I want to eat more vegetables and this seems to be a way to do it.

Your thoughts?

I work in a building that has a cafe in the lobby. We are in the most touristy part of NY so we get a lot of tourists in the cafe, especially in the morning.

I see TONS of skinny french women ordering the biggest pastries, and other europeans ordering ham and cheese sandwiches at 9am. They are all skinny. I have tried doing this as well, eating a bigger, heartier meal in the morning, I have to say I don't really want anything big by dinner.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,059,067 times
We stay thin by eating an average healthy vegan breakfast and our main meal is lunch with a green protein smoothie for dinner and we have lost/maintained our weight this way....and we have protein at dinner - really we need protein with every meal. Whether the French have protein or not with their late meal has nothing to do with them being thin.

Not snacking is huge in maintaining weight. Portion size is so important. Europeans in generally walk more than we also.

There is no magic formula for staying thin regardless of where you call home - it all boils down to the same thing - smart eating, exercise...simple formula, not always so easy to do.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM

123 posts, read 246,140 times
My best and most healthy eating habit is NOT EATING!!

I fast on a regular basis to give my body a break and keep my weight down. For anyone who is interested, check out my thread on the 5:2 diet. You, too, can be in control of your weight once again!

Cheers!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
My best and most healthy eating habit is NOT EATING!!

I fast on a regular basis to give my body a break and keep my weight down. For anyone who is interested, check out my thread on the 5:2 diet. You, too, can be in control of your weight once again!

Cheers!
Yes, starvation always makes you lose weight. People can control their weight but they don't have to go without eating.....just eating smart is what the body needs not starvation.

You have no idea if there are those on this forum that have low blood sugar or high blood sugar - fasting is not something to advocate to people with those issues. What you are suggesting could be dangerous for some and you need to state that when you encourage people that they should be going through periods of starving themselves.

I'm glad it works for you - but the body was made to run on clean fuel not starve.

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-20-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Not being snarky here, but do you make your own bread, tortillas and pasta, or just not eat it? Do you ever eat beans from a can or tomato sauce, or make all that from fresh ingredients?

Kudos to you if you're really not eating anything with a label, but it makes me wonder about how long it takes you to fix dinner. I'm going to cook what I consider "real food" for dinner, but I'll be using some elbow macaroni out of a box along with some diced tomatoes, as well as local grass fed beef and some fresh veggies.
Hahah! Seriously. I eat food with a label. And I make sure that (most of the time) those ingredient are real things I can actually get in a store. Like pasta = wheat, water, salt, egg. Or beans = beans, water, salt.....

Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hahah! Seriously. I eat food with a label. And I make sure that (most of the time) those ingredient are real things I can actually get in a store. Like pasta = wheat, water, salt, egg. Or beans = beans, water, salt.....
It is getting harder and harder to do this...although I do like Whole Food's own 365 brand - organic and no GMO food. The lining cans (as in canned foods) is supposed to be unhealthful...I'm trying to buy the tomatoes (for chili, etc.) in the boxes...more expensive. Let's face it - it would take a full-time cook to make everything from scratch...no time for that.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
It is getting harder and harder to do this...although I do like Whole Food's own 365 brand - organic and no GMO food. The lining cans (as in canned foods) is supposed to be unhealthful...I'm trying to buy the tomatoes (for chili, etc.) in the boxes...more expensive. Let's face it - it would take a full-time cook to make everything from scratch...no time for that.
Right? If the choice is either no beans or getting a can. I am just getting a can.

As for the tomatoes? I still have some cans in my pantry to use up. I am trying to convert...but it is hard, those boxes are expensive. And sometimes I just need diced not crushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss