Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:34 PM

819 posts, read 1,130,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Second, just because a group wants something, that doesn't mean the science (ie, risk) or the government will bend to their will.
I agree, but that has nothing to do with my statements. I said specifically that this group is trying to redefine obesity, medically. You stated that I didn't have a good argument to disapprove of this, because apparently the economic impact isn't a justified gripe.

You do realize smokers are in a different class RE: health care, correct? They are also discriminated against. How is being obese any different whatsoever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,200,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
The same has often been said in the past about homosexuality.
What is unhealthy about being gay? People who had an anti-gay agenda would try to argue that being gay caused the transmission of HIV. But that is nonsense.

Being gay is not so much a lifestyle choice as a state of being.

Quote:
The thrust of the fat acceptance movement isn't about why people are obese.
Actually I think it kind of is. You make reference below to being shamed "for no other reason than their physiques." As their physique is born to them like being gay or having a birth defect.

The truth of the matter, the vast majority of overweight people can effect a change in their bodies. Once you get past teen years, there are precious few people whose bodies are not directly a result of their habits and choices.

By deciding that one's body composition is akin to a birth defect is to deny one's very ability to change it.

Quote:
It's that being obese is not a moral failing any more than having a birth defect is. Being fat doesn't make a bad person or deserving of being shamed any more than being thin makes you a good person or deserving of being loved. And yet people will assume that fat people are deserving of being shamed for no other reason than their physiques.
Well I don't think it is a moral failing to be fat. It certainly does not render one less lovable. I think it is a moral failure to model unhealthy habits and raise fat kids.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 PM

819 posts, read 1,130,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well I don't think it is a moral failing to be fat.
Gluttony is a sin, and therefore I do think it's a moral failing to be fat.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM

936 posts, read 2,062,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
People talk about health care costs...But what about global cost to the environment? Food production contributes to a lot of waste. So if you are obese and on a diet you are not a problem. But to be obese and just keep gaining when you have resources at your fingertips to stop? That is a shame because its not needed and causes more problems than it solves. Its a unhealthy behavior that affects more than just the person under the influence of those choices.

Fat acceptance is annoying because:
1. You should not have to tell grown adults how to behave
2. Being fat is good for no one- OBVIOUS -and yet people want to ignore its destruction much like a junkie does.
3. the world makes people so miserable they act like addicts over food
4. food industry makes products for profit and problems, not people
5. people want food cheap when they have had more than enough. WE CAN AFFORD IT BY THE LOOK OF WAISTLINES!
6. Its such a sick stupid move to pull and waste any time or resources on when people are DYING because they haven't eaten in so long. And we are suppose to coddle the ones who have resources to share? That just seems off.
1. That's the point--no one should tell adults how to behave. That includes telling them that they should lose weight.
2. Air pollution from cars is good for no one. Should we ban cars?
3. If that's true, then how are fat people the problem? Isn't the problem then the things that make them miserable?
4. I'm not seeing how that applies to discriminating against fat people.
5. Again, what does that have to do with disriminiating against fat people? I'm not seeing how the price of food applies either.
6. So are you saying that other people are starving because fat people are eating all the food?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
I'm no doctor so I wouldn't know. But again, I'm talking about the type of overweight that can be controlled. Some people just let themselves go.

I do agree that it's not right to discriminate nor make hurtful comments towards obese people. It's not anybody's place to make others feel inferior or bad about their weight, as if they weren't having a hard enough time already. The same goes for very thin people. When I was younger and 10 pounds under my ideal weight, I received some ugly comments about being too thin and even called anorexic. What gives anybody the right to make those kind of comments? They don't know what's going on with that person's body or their life, so why even say anything? People need to mind their own business and learn not to judge, period.
I was called anorexic, too. Of course, I actually was so... But there were a lot of people that were not that nice to me because of it. I've battled eating disorders my entire life - I know how hard it is. Overeating is also an eating disorder. These things aren't as easy to overcome as people might think. It can be just as hard for an anorexic to eat as it can be for an overeater to not eat.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,276,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Wrath and pride are sins, and therefore I do think it's a moral failing to behave like you are in this thread.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM

936 posts, read 2,062,472 times
Quote:
Gluttony isn't just eating a lot. It's also taking long showers, running the AC all day, not carpooling, and eating Kobe beef and foie gras. Do you think those are moral failings as well?

Lust is a sin. Let's sew red A's on the clothes of people who fornicate.

Sloth is a sin. Let's ban X-Box and PlayStation.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM

946 posts, read 2,919,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I was called anorexic, too. Of course, I actually was so... But there were a lot of people that were not that nice to me because of it. I've battled eating disorders my entire life - I know how hard it is. Overeating is also an eating disorder. These things aren't as easy to overcome as people might think. It can be just as hard for an anorexic to eat as it can be for an overeater to not eat.
See, the thing is, I was never anorexic. Just a few pounds underweight. I probably looked too thin because I have a smaller frame than most people and even when I'm at my normal weight, I seem to look too thin. But it's my body type and my genes. If people don't know, they shouldn't comment.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,814 times
Quote:
Eh....Ever heard about the rate of Metabolism? Did the Bible fail to mention how that would come into play?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,456,260 times
Quote:
You know that gluttony includes an over consumption of certain alcoholic beverages right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss