Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

A troubling thing about loosing weight is that everyone is different. Several years ago I got serious about loosing some wieght and joined WW and started to walk with a like minded friend. She had some serious health problems unrelated to weight so we figured things would work out evenly for us. They didn't. I counted my points and walked with her 3 minles daily and was loosing up to 1lb a day at times. It's like my body WANTED to be thinner and I just needed to do my bit to get it to where it wanted to be. My friend didn't have the luck I did and would sometimes go a couple weeks and only loose 1lb even though we were doing the same things. Years later as I had my own health problems, surgeries, etc. I decided to do it again so I joined WW and counted my points and started walking 3 miles a day again, expecting the same results I had 8 years earlier. Nope. I can't say what changed but something did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I read somewhere that we are the only nation on earth that the poor people are fat and the skinny people are rich. Other nations have it the other way around. Now I am not saying that we don't have rich fat people or poor skinny people because we do. Still if you think about it our poor people don't seem to be missing many meals.

The other day I was watching a documentary on obese people and what they had to do to lose weight. It is amazing. Those that have a lot of fat also seem to have hearts that are not working as they should. They are oversize and innefficient. What happens is that the obese don't have the energy that a slim person may have. They get tired quicker because the blood and oxygen can not get to where it needs to be. Veins are slimmer allowing even less blood and oxygen to where they need to be. This makes the large person not want to exersize or work out. They feel tired and to get a boost of energy eat something loaded with sugar, drink soda that is loaded with sugar, all to get going. It is a cycle that can be hard to drop.

I for one have to work at it. I have to watch what I eat and hit the gym all the time. My kids as well. I watched as many in my family yo yo'd back and forth between weight ranges and didn't want to go thru that. I know for a fact it is even harder to try and break the cycle of being obese.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I read somewhere that we are the only nation on earth that the poor people are fat and the skinny people are rich. Other nations have it the other way around.
Im pretty sure thats more or less the same in the UK and Canada. Maybe parts of continental Europe too.

Why do people think the USA is the only wealthy country on the planet?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Reference: Fat acceptance movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
www.naafa.org- We Come In All Sizes

Why does this exist and why are people taking it seriously? Am I honestly expected to believe that being obese is alright? Is Alcoholism Acceptance going to be the next big movement?
You are missing the point on this. Its no secret that obese people have been looked down upon and discriminated against solely because of their weight/size. Its not about "celebrating" obesity, its about friggin' equality and being accepted. Discrimination is always always always WRONG no matter how you look at it.

OMG I sound like a friggin' lib dem.

I personally will never understand how people who are obese come to terms with it and accept it in themselves, but I do understand that the world is much tougher for them because of their size. I remember verbally blasting some of my old bosses with a very large financial institution because they didnt want to hire someone I CHOSE TO ASSIST ME and my department because they were disgusted with her being overweight and not "pretty" enough. I went ballistic on them and eventually made the hire. Sure they made jokes about having to call in the guys from American Chopper to fabricate special chairs to hold her, but in the long run, she was so good at her job that they apologized to me for not wanting to hire her.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Well its why you are even here. You seem unaware of the fact birth control is not an option in those parts and that half die before a very young age. So you would be a lot less likely to have six. Maybe two will make it. Maybe.
There are other forms of birth control besides pills and condoms ya know. The rhythm method and abstinence are better than no birth control at all.

Also you seem to forget that I had no choice in being born. However I will be doing my part by refraining from having any children.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im pretty sure thats more or less the same in the UK and Canada. Maybe parts of continental Europe too.

Why do people think the USA is the only wealthy country on the planet?
I am just saying what I read. Here are some articles that show both sides though.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/wor...orldfat_2.html

http://www.obesitypanacea.com/2008/1...f-history.html

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050...ing-in-obesity

http://www.totalhealthbreakthroughs....or-people-fat/

http://www.docshop.com/2007/11/20/obesity-and-poverty-examining-the-link (broken link)

Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
That's entirely an assumption. Weight and obesity aren't simply a matter of "eat less, exercise more". Otherwise the diet and exercise industries would work far, far better than they actually do.

There are unhealthy thin people just as there are unhealthy fat people? Why are you insisting that fat people change their lifestyle, but not thin people?
I am insisting that fat people should change their lifestyle so they are healithier. If a thin person is unhealthy I would suggest they do the same. I also did not say that ALL obese people have the issue of eating less and exercising more. There are some who genuinely have a problem. However, when I see someone who is obese walking down a buffet line with their plate mounded a foot deep with food I think they probably don't have a thyroid problem or another health problem. When you see kids who are extremely fat that are always playing video games and eating junk food I think it's safe to say they don't have a health problem (in this case it is ignorant parents).

Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A troubling thing about loosing weight is that everyone is different. Several years ago I got serious about loosing some wieght and joined WW and started to walk with a like minded friend. She had some serious health problems unrelated to weight so we figured things would work out evenly for us. They didn't. I counted my points and walked with her 3 minles daily and was loosing up to 1lb a day at times. It's like my body WANTED to be thinner and I just needed to do my bit to get it to where it wanted to be. My friend didn't have the luck I did and would sometimes go a couple weeks and only loose 1lb even though we were doing the same things. Years later as I had my own health problems, surgeries, etc. I decided to do it again so I joined WW and counted my points and started walking 3 miles a day again, expecting the same results I had 8 years earlier. Nope. I can't say what changed but something did.
What most likely changed is, as a result of aging you have less muscle mass, and that means your metabolism is even slower than before and your calorie needs are less. The older you get, the harder it is take off weight. WW and walking as you used to do isn't enough. You have to work harder.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
What most likely changed is, as a result of aging you have less muscle mass, and that means your metabolism is even slower than before and your calorie needs are less. The older you get, the harder it is take off weight. WW and walking as you used to do isn't enough. You have to work harder.
I've not noticed this.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
True. But the thing is I am unlikely to "work harder" as I actually have a life not devoted to working out and fitness, and less mobility becasue of past injuries. I know I'm not going to keep upping the exercise and cutting the calories as I age. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss