Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My gf is 5'2" (but 106 pounds) and she can ride all the roller coasters at six flags.
Never been to a six flags. Do they have those poles/signs where you had to be so tall to get on the ride? Its been awhile since I have been that short but I remember around the age I was some rides were borderline. I may of been shorter but I was around 5 ft ish

Cedar Point has a website with the standards there:
CP Mobile

Maybe the OP's park has one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM

207 posts, read 535,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think she would still be 5'2". You don't think so?
oh oh lol i thought you were shoving how skinny she is in my face.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,351 times
I have rode on Six Flags rides when I was around 250lbs with no problem at all. Granted most of my weight is concentrated on my hips/thighs. I have not been there in ages, as it is more catered to children. Maybe you can just stay at home, I would prefer to stay at home then be around screaming kids in the hot, humid sun.

But these amusement parks should shut down all year or whatever amount of time is needed to accomdate larger guests. The nation is just getting bigger and should accommodate to us. Same goes for airports. They are only losing more and more revenue each year if they don't comply with customer expectations.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM

207 posts, read 535,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I have rode on Six Flags rides when I was around 250lbs with no problem at all. Granted most of my weight is concentrated on my hips/thighs. I have not been there in ages, as it is more catered to children. Maybe you can just stay at home, I would prefer to stay at home then be around screaming kids in the hot, humid sun.

But these amusement parks should shut down all year or whatever amount of time is needed to accomdate larger guests. The nation is just getting bigger and should accommodate to us. Same goes for airports. They are only losing more and more revenue each year if they don't comply with customer expectations.
I don't plan to stay big. Thats why I am on weight watchers and by going and plus i am wearing what I don't wan to wear but my nephews begged me to come and to ride the big rides with them. And if I go and feel out of place.. It's teach not to go off weighgt watchers it would push me even more. I am watching my life pass me by and sick and tired of it.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Quote:

No....people that big should take personal responsibility as the OP is doing and consider it a wake up call that can save their life.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Never been to a six flags. Do they have those poles/signs where you had to be so tall to get on the ride? Its been awhile since I have been that short but I remember around the age I was some rides were borderline. I may of been shorter but I was around 5 ft ish

Cedar Point has a website with the standards there:
CP Mobile

Maybe the OP's park has one?
Yes, they do. They have a pole before you get in line.... and they also have a guy holding the stick at the front of the line to make sure no one tries to sneak on.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
oh oh lol i thought you were shoving how skinny she is in my face.
No, sorry for the confusion. I was responding to the individual who said your height might be a problem. I think you're tall enough for all the rides.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

Then you'll be happy to know that Disneyland re-inforced their boats for It's A Small World. Really. Heavy people were starting to swamp the boats.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I've been on roller coasters when I was around 240 lbs. No problem getting the safety bars to fasten. They won't let the ride take off until the bars are down, so if it doesn't fasten right, they'll make you get off...but if it fastens, it's not going to give out suddenly halfway through the ride.

If your chest hurts on the ride, like you said in that first post, that's probably a sign that you shouldn't be riding them though.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
firslty if you have a heart condition or other similar problem you shoudlnt ride...no matter what your weight...
if you have no existing health conditions then theres no reason why you cant unless you dont fit...

now not fitting is 100% depenant on the person, how they carry their wieght and the ride itself...

at my biggest i was 350lbs and 5'8", i carried it very eavenly ove my body but mostly chest and belly...
i could EASILY ride all the rides at our 6flags, there were no warnings of weight restrictions, and the saftey equiptment fit me without any problems, the seats were wide enough (but i have always had a flat butt, even at that size) the seatbelts plently long enough with room to spare, the saftey bars that come up and down over shoulders ect clipped without a problem (and i was an DD cup at the time) i never once felt unsafe, and if those bars hadnt closed 100% fully with multiple clicks to saftey i wouldnt have stayed on...

BUT i have a friend who at the time was about 220lbs, and she carries it mostly in her rear and thigs and there were many rides that I at over 100lbs more than her could easily ride safely that she couldnt ride as the saftey features wouldnt lock properly or the seats wernt wide enough.
ive got another frined who was 180lbs solid muscle (body builder) and he couldnt ride certain rides because his shoulders/chest were too wide to comfortbaly fit in the saftey restraints...

so it 100% depends on HOW you carry that weight...

its great that your working on the weight! congrats!
but dont let your current weight stop you from trying...

that being said as already pointed out, if these rollercoasters make your chest hurt or you feel nauseous ect your body is telling you something and you shouldnt go on them for THAT reason...(id also talk to your dr about the chest pain on coasters, potential heat issues shouldnt be messed with)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss