Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
A lot of it goes back to our puritan heritage. Sometimes it serves powerful interests - instead of fixing inequality, we lecture the poor on their personal habits. Instead of rebuilding our cities, or providing better child care to families, we give folks ideas on lifting weights in the car, or cooking a week at a time planning out every meal. Will many folks actually lift weights in their car? No, but it sure beats paying taxes to rebuild our cities, eh?
Rebuilding cities isn't going to convince someone to keep their chubby kid away from McDonald's. Child care for families is not going to explain to a southerner why macaroni and cheese shouldn't be considered one of the major food groups. And - most American citizens are -not- able to claim a Puritan heritage. The Puritan ancestry can only be claimed by around 16 million people and there were around 309 million people as of the 2010 census. So that's just over 5% of the total population with Puritan ancestry. Can't blame today's society on an ancestry most of the country doesn't share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Rebuilding cities isn't going to convince someone to keep their chubby kid away from McDonald's. Child care for families is not going to explain to a southerner why macaroni and cheese shouldn't be considered one of the major food groups. And - most American citizens are -not- able to claim a Puritan heritage. The Puritan ancestry can only be claimed by around 16 million people and there were around 309 million people as of the 2010 census. So that's just over 5% of the total population with Puritan ancestry. Can't blame today's society on an ancestry most of the country doesn't share.

Rebuilding cities can make us more active. Child care for families will reduce parental stress and ease the home preparation of healthier foods.

And the puritan heritage is in our culture, not our genes. We get it in our folklore, books, the backgrounds of our films (even when Hollywood was dominated by eastern european origin Jews) and our public school systems. Its a basic part of our discourse. You misread me - im not blaming John Winthrop. Im blaming the automatic focus on individual moral failings as the sole topic worthy of discussion when a social problem, from unemployment to obesity, comes up.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What's wrong with airports and larger people? Or is your complaint really airplanes?

No - the world doesn't need to adjust to larger and larger people. Increasing the toleration of unhealthy lifestyle habits needs to stop.
I rarely get on airplanes I can count how many times I have been on one using my fingers. But they are notorious for discriminating against large people. And yes it is discrimination and it needs to stop.

The world needs to adjust and just accept larger people. Not every girl can have the body of a size 0 bikini model and not every guy can be Popeye. I don;t understand you people, I don;t know if it;s the way we look that disgusts you or our "unhealthy" lifestyle that disgusts you but either way you cannot tell another adult what to eat and how to eat. If you don;t like the way we look, look the other way. If you don;t like our "lifestyle" then its really none of your business. How is being fat a lifestyle anyway? Why do people always assume fat people eat all junk food? Right now I am traiinnig myself to eat healthier foods like fruits, salads, and lean pieces of meat meanwhile my skinny "healthy" friend continues to devour fast food, fried chicken, and various sweets.

Unless you want to dig into your pocket and bribe all of the fat people in your neighborhood to mimic your "healthy" lifestyle? No? I didn't think so.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I rarely get on airplanes I can count how many times I have been on one using my fingers. But they are notorious for discriminating against large people. And yes it is discrimination and it needs to stop.

The world needs to adjust and just accept larger people. Not every girl can have the body of a size 0 bikini model and not every guy can be Popeye. I don;t understand you people, I don;t know if it;s the way we look that disgusts you or our "unhealthy" lifestyle that disgusts you but either way you cannot tell another adult what to eat and how to eat. If you don;t like the way we look, look the other way. If you don;t like our "lifestyle" then its really none of your business. How is being fat a lifestyle anyway? Why do people always assume fat people eat all junk food? Right now I am traiinnig myself to eat healthier foods like fruits, salads, and lean pieces of meat meanwhile my skinny "healthy" friend continues to devour fast food, fried chicken, and various sweets.

Unless you want to dig into your pocket and bribe all of the fat people in your neighborhood to mimic your "healthy" lifestyle? No? I didn't think so.
Stop justifying your *previous* poor choices and the poor choices of your family, by pretending that we're discriminating against you. I'm oversized and NEVER have felt "discrimination" pointed at me.

Then again, I'm not so oversized that I bang into everyone seated in an airplane when I try to walk down the aisle to my seat. I don't break chairs when I sit on them, and I don't risk breaking flimsy beds when I go into a bedding store for a new mattress and lay down to try them out.

As mentioned before, it is a matter of SIZE. Not weight. You are big. Your size puts you in the way of other people trying to do what they do. If there were two of you standing next to each other, hip to hip, you would probably block traffic in a supermarket aisle. If you were only 3 feet tall, at your weight, you would still be too big, and you would still be in the way.

Your skinny friends are skinny because they didn't let themselves get fat. You did. And so now you have to pay the price, OR accept the result of not paying the price. That's your choice. Either continue to be fat, accept it, and accept that you are physically too big for things that are built smaller, or get smaller and fit into those things.

No one built a rollercoaster with "Oh I think I'll make this too small for 800 pound people to fit in neener neener they all lose". They built it with "what will fit most efficiently in this space at the amusement park, and how can I efficiently accommodate the most common demographic expected to show up for it, and still be safe, and structurally sound?"

It's not that they intentionally excluded you (which WOULD be discrimination). It's that they intentionally INCLUDED the majority of people who would show up expecting to ride. And that majority - is not you. If you lost weight, you would be included. No one has anything against your weight. It's a law of physics: their seats have to fit in a certain amount of air space, and you are bigger than that space. They can make bigger seats, but those seats would still have to accommodate the same amount of space. And that means they'd have to make fewer seats. And that means they'd serve fewer paying customers. It is not economically sound to do that.

You fail to grasp simple logic. This might be why you ended up your size.

Also, I'm not a size 0, I'm a 12-14. I fit in airplane aisle, and airplane seats, no one ever cringes when I attempt to try out a new mattress or chair at the store. You say no one has to be a size 0. You're right. No one does have to be a size 0. I was never a size 0. I'd never want to be a size 0. Thankfully, the world DOES accommodate people bigger than a size 0, and in fact, it accommodates a wide range of sizes. You, however, have fallen FAR out of the realm of "accommodatable" sizes. You're like the semi that shows up in the Burger King parking lot and takes up 8 car spaces during the lunch rush. And then you don't understand why the store manager is giving you the evil eye.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Stop justifying your *previous* poor choices and the poor choices of your family, by pretending that we're discriminating against you. I'm oversized and NEVER have felt "discrimination" pointed at me.

Then again, I'm not so oversized that I bang into everyone seated in an airplane when I try to walk down the aisle to my seat. I don't break chairs when I sit on them, and I don't risk breaking flimsy beds when I go into a bedding store for a new mattress and lay down to try them out.

As mentioned before, it is a matter of SIZE. Not weight. You are big. Your size puts you in the way of other people trying to do what they do. If there were two of you standing next to each other, hip to hip, you would probably block traffic in a supermarket aisle. If you were only 3 feet tall, at your weight, you would still be too big, and you would still be in the way.

Your skinny friends are skinny because they didn't let themselves get fat. You did. And so now you have to pay the price, OR accept the result of not paying the price. That's your choice. Either continue to be fat, accept it, and accept that you are physically too big for things that are built smaller, or get smaller and fit into those things.

No one built a rollercoaster with "Oh I think I'll make this too small for 800 pound people to fit in neener neener they all lose". They built it with "what will fit most efficiently in this space at the amusement park, and how can I efficiently accommodate the most common demographic expected to show up for it, and still be safe, and structurally sound?"

It's not that they intentionally excluded you (which WOULD be discrimination). It's that they intentionally INCLUDED the majority of people who would show up expecting to ride. And that majority - is not you. If you lost weight, you would be included. No one has anything against your weight. It's a law of physics: their seats have to fit in a certain amount of air space, and you are bigger than that space. They can make bigger seats, but those seats would still have to accommodate the same amount of space. And that means they'd have to make fewer seats. And that means they'd serve fewer paying customers. It is not economically sound to do that.

You fail to grasp simple logic. This might be why you ended up your size.

Also, I'm not a size 0, I'm a 12-14. I fit in airplane aisle, and airplane seats, no one ever cringes when I attempt to try out a new mattress or chair at the store. You say no one has to be a size 0. You're right. No one does have to be a size 0. I was never a size 0. I'd never want to be a size 0. Thankfully, the world DOES accommodate people bigger than a size 0, and in fact, it accommodates a wide range of sizes. You, however, have fallen FAR out of the realm of "accommodatable" sizes. You're like the semi that shows up in the Burger King parking lot and takes up 8 car spaces during the lunch rush. And then you don't understand why the store manager is giving you the evil eye.
You should try riding a camel

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I am currently paying taxes to pay for sidewalks and bike paths. And hiking trails and other facilities in parks.

I hope everyone takes advantage of those.

I am also paying taxes for CDC to provide advice on healthy eating and weight loss - I hope people use those too.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 PM

47 posts, read 132,198 times
Just found this thread...my main motivation for losing weight is so ill be able to fit on all the rides comfortably at disney world..At my heaviest i was 370 pounds and i fit on all the rides at disney world but i was still majorly uncomfortable with my size. I spilled over into my son's seat . Im very tall and i carry my weight evenly and well...Im dieting and excercising like crazy . Im down to 348 lbs so ive lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks by dieting and excercising. I want to go to Universal Studios and ride harry potter and all the thrill rides so I absolutely have to lose weight. My kids couldnt go on a roller coaster last year because i was too big to ride with them This summer I want to be able to go on everything with them and just have a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss