Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
dr. Friedman trumps alan aragon and his cohorts easily. There is no contest.
Says who?

Quote:
Aragon and krieger do not represent science. They represents book sales.
LOL really?

Read Krieger's bio (I doubt you had even heard of him before I posted) and tell me this man doesn't "represent science".

About James » Weightology

(and Krieger hasn't even written a book!)

Quote:
All advertising is lies- no exceptions.
That's false.

Quote:
Genuine science is uncertain and admits to unknowns. Obesity is far from figured out.
I don't think anyone has said that there aren't still some unknowns with obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
I'm confused. Rick tells us that "internet book salesmen" are not to be trusted...and then tells us to go download a book?

Very lost right now.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM

37,121 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
RIGHT ON.

I am not genetically predisposed to slimness. I am tall and muscular, and took after my German ancestors, with broad shoulders, broad cheekbones, strong hands, and overall strength. I have always been taller than average and when I am at my ideal weight and look my very best, I am at the very top of my "ideal healthy weight" on the charts. When I was a child, I had a very healthy diet (my parents were 70s "hippies" and "back to the earth" types so we ate organically, grew our own vegetables, even ground our own wheat!) and I played outside for hours every day. I was never overweight, but also never slim. I've never been slim a day in my life, but I am the picture of health - not only do I feel great but I get a physical every year and all my tests come back BURSTING with healthy numbers.

My mother is a different body type than me. She is even taller than me, but very slim and smaller boned. She's the Audrey Hepburn body type. She eats like a horse, even today at age 74, and never seems to gain a pound. Even when she had a stroke a few years ago and was more confined over the next year due to a long recovery, she didn't gain weight.

I have had to watch my caloric intake closely for many years. When I had a serious health blow myself, and a long recovery, I gained weight quickly as soon as activity level dropped. If I ate what my mother eats every day, I'd be as big as a barn. I have to limit my caloric intake to about 1800 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight, and to 1200-1400 calories a day to lose weight.

Though my mom is thin, I inherited the stocky build of my father's side of the family - not my mother's tall, willowy side. It's just a reality. Reality is what I deal with.

I KNOW what I have to do to maintain a healthy, attractive weight, so I just do it. This means that I make sacrifices. This means that when my mother is having cake for breakfast, I'm having yogurt. When she's happily eating three or four pieces of pizza, I'm eating one with a side salad - with oil and vinegar dressing, not bleu cheese! This means when my mother is reaching for a Coke, I'm drinking unsweetened iced tea.

It is what it is. Life's too short to be bitter - or to be overweight.
If your mother eats the way you describe, does that mean she would not lose weight if she ate less, though? That's the whole point of the thread.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If your mother eats the way you describe, does that mean she would not lose weight if she ate less, though? That's the whole point of the thread.
Some thin people have a bad diet, but they don't eat a lot of calories. I've seen some who skip meals but will eat a big piece of cake as a snack.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM

37,121 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Default An interview with Dr. Friedman

NOVA | Obesity: Expert Q&A

Dr. Friedman mainly discusses leptin and the forces that drive hunger and appetite.

But, he also says,

"My advice would be to accept who you are and do what you can to improve your health. This would include starting an exercise program, eating a heart-healthy diet to minimize cardiac risk, and trying your best to lose a small amount of weight (on the order of 10-20 pounds) instead of trying to lose much more weight than that, which for most people is not realistic."

" It appears that roughly 5 to 10 percent of extremely obese subjects can maintain substantial weight loss with diet and exercise over long periods of time. While there are ongoing studies of these people, it is not clear why they can achieve weight loss while the majority cannot."

On the set point range:

" ... my sense is that the range is 15 to 20 pounds. This is not to say that one cannot move outside this range. Rather it means that the further away one moves from this range, the greater the strength of the biologic forces that resist it."

And finally, on calories, the debate over fat vs. carbohydrate,

" ... my bias is that a calorie is a calorie and that the source of the calories is not as important."

All Dr. Friedman is saying is that there are biologic forces that promote weight gain. He does not say that someone who eats less and exercises will not lose weight.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-27-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Dr. Friedman mainly discusses leptin and the forces that drive hunger and appetite.
The problem with blaming obesity on having a bigger appetite is that few obese people eat more because they are actually hungrier than others. Most obese people eat for emotional reasons that have nothing at all to do with appetite. Nobody eats chocolate or ice cream because they are hungry. They are eaten because they taste good and they are comfort foods. They are pleasure.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM

525 posts, read 761,890 times
Quote:

But, he also says,

"My advice would be to accept who you are and do what you can to improve your health. This would include starting an exercise program, eating a heart-healthy diet to minimize cardiac risk, and trying your best to lose a small amount of weight (on the order of 10-20 pounds) instead of trying to lose much more weight than that, which for most people is not realistic."

" It appears that roughly 5 to 10 percent of extremely obese subjects can maintain substantial weight loss with diet and exercise over long periods of time. While there are ongoing studies of these people, it is not clear why they can achieve weight loss while the majority cannot."

On the set point range:

" ... my sense is that the range is 15 to 20 pounds. This is not to say that one cannot move outside this range. Rather it means that the further away one moves from this range, the greater the strength of the biologic forces that resist it."

" ... my bias is that a calorie is a calorie and that the source of the calories is not as important."

All Dr. Friedman is saying is that there are biologic forces that promote weight gain. He does not say that someone who eats more and exercises will not lose weight.
NO , HE SPECIFICALLY SAYS WE NEED TO MOVE ON FROM "EAT LESS MOVE MORE" BECAUSE IT DOES NOT WORK. HE SAYS IT IS NO MORE LIKELY TO WORK NOW THAN BACK THEN IN HIPPOCRATES TIME. HE SAYS THERE NEVER WAS ANY SCIENTIFIV SUPPORT FOR IT . HE CALLS IT A SIMPLISTIC NOSTRUM AND SAYS IT IS INEFFECTIVE . HE SP[ECIFICALLY SAYS IT IS NOT AT ALL A SCIENTIFIC APPROACH TP PBESITY.

HE THEN LISTS THE SCIENTIFIC APPROACH

YOU IGNORE WHAT HE SAYS AND DID NOT WATCH THE LECTURE.

HE SAYS IT SEVERAL TIMES IN THE LECTURE.

AND TO THE ALAN ARAGON SYCOPHANTON HERE:

NO, "Modern Science vs The Stigma of Obesity" is NOT a book you IDIOT. It's a piece of scientific work and a SUMMARY OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE AMONG SCIENTISTS.

READ IT. IT SHEDS LIGHT ON THE WORK OF DR DOUGLAS COLEMAN AND THE SWITCHED VIEWS OF THE OBESITY RESEARCHERS. HIS WORK WAS PIONEERING.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameriscot View Post
the problem with blaming obesity on having a bigger appetite is that few obese people eat more because they are actually hungrier than others. Most obese people eat for emotional reasons that have nothing at all to do with appetite. Nobody eats chocolate or ice cream because they are hungry. They are eaten because they taste good and they are comfort foods. They are pleasure.

wrong.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

But, he also says,

On the set point range:

All Dr. Friedman is saying is that there are biologic forces that promote weight gain. He does not say that someone who eats more and exercises will not lose weight.
DR. FREIDMAN IS A DIETARY AGNOSTIC AND ADMUITS IN THE LECTURE THAT THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION OF IF CERTAIN DIETS RAE MORE FATTEING IS UNKNWON

HE STRESSES THIS IT IS UNKNOWN

His calorie is a calorie comment is his OWN view . This does NOT mean he supports eat less mocve more

DR JEFFREY FRIEDMAN DOES NOT AT ALL- AT ALL SUPPPORT EAT LESS MOVE MORE- AT ALL.

ONLY PEOPLE OF VERY LOW INTELLIGENCE USE THAT NOSTRUM

Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
wrong.
You said you weren't posting any more, RICK! You lied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss