Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:09 PM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

I've gone from vegetarian back to being a omnivore. I do go days without eating much animal product, but then I get a craving and feel a need for eggs or a stir-fry using chicken, pork and rarely, beef. Possibly, it may be a vitamin B need that cries out for meat that creates the craving. This seems to work well, I'm very healthy and take no meds, weight's normal. Guess it's kind of a Mediterranean diet I'm following, more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Its easy for an ovo lacto vegetarian to get all needed nutrients, using eggs and dairy. Even easier for a pescatarian, who eats fish as well. Its more difficult for pure vegans, but possible with planning.

Many more people are taking steps short of even vegetarianism - they are limiting their sources of meat to ones that are humanely farmed (to address ethical issues) or are limiting total meat consumption without eliminating it (to address environmental and/or health concerns) this last is called "flexitarianism"

Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
We get -everything- we need, just by eating as we are intended to eat. If we eat otherwise, we have to find substitutes. Hence, soy "milk" and "soy patties" and "alternative protein substance" and whatever else. You -can- get what you need with substitutes, alternatives, and supplements, as a vegetarian. But as an omnivore, eating AS an omnivore, you don't need to substitute, alternate, or supplement.

You only need those if you are A. vegan and B. need convenience

A non-vegan vegetarian can get complete proteins from Eggs, milk or fish (depending on what kind of vegetarian they are) A vegan with sufficient time for cooking can get complete proteins by combining WHOLE legumes with whole grains.

I am NOT a vegetarian, but find occasional use of Soy milk, vegetarian patties, etc, fits well into my lifestyle.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
What has been demonstrated by long-term, strict vegans is that a diet comprised 100% of vegetable material is nutritionally sufficient and may be sustained indefinitely so long as the practitioner is consuming a large enough volume of food to meet his or her caloric needs. That said, it isn't a natural diet at all.

Here's a link to an interesting paper supporting the "Paleo Diet" and low-carb macronutirent ratios... Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets

Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Here's a wacky question from left field..do you think vegetarians are more pacifist and less violent than omnivores or carnivores? I'm thinking of examples from the animal kingdom...but does this apply to humans, too? For example hungry cows are pretty non-violent compared to a hungry tiger..is it the same with people?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here's a wacky question from left field..do you think vegetarians are more pacifist and less violent than omnivores or carnivores? I'm thinking of examples from the animal kingdom...but does this apply to humans, too? For example hungry cows are pretty non-violent compared to a hungry tiger..is it the same with people?
Having watched PETA members break into and vandalize private property, throw ink and other nasty things on celebreties who "dare" to wear furs, I'd say no - vegetarians are no more or less violent than anyone else.

Also, regarding your cow example: try annoying a bull some time. Let us know how that works out for ya.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM

Yep, that angry bull could gore me or stomp me, but likely wouldn't eat me..but ultimately the same result.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
What has been demonstrated by long-term, strict vegans is that a diet comprised 100% of vegetable material is nutritionally sufficient and may be sustained indefinitely so long as the practitioner is consuming a large enough volume of food to meet his or her caloric needs. That said, it isn't a natural diet at all.

Here's a link to an interesting paper supporting the "Paleo Diet" and low-carb macronutirent ratios... Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets

No.......UH, no. The ability of people to utilize nutrients varies a LOT. A percentage of people MAY do ok on the wacky Veganc*lt diet.....many will get sick and fail to thrive.

Myself as an example. I have anemia.......I have to eat iron rich foods at least 3 times a week......iron rich as in liver, heart, lung.....etc. If I was to adopt a diet that is composed of vegetables, which are low in high quality iron, as are all plant sources of iron.....yikes, I could possibly die.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
No.......UH, no. The ability of people to utilize nutrients varies a LOT. A percentage of people MAY do ok on the wacky Veganc*lt diet.....many will get sick and fail to thrive.

Myself as an example. I have anemia.......I have to eat iron rich foods at least 3 times a week......iron rich as in liver, heart, lung.....etc. If I was to adopt a diet that is composed of vegetables, which are low in high quality iron, as are all plant sources of iron.....yikes, I could possibly die.
I dont know what diet you are calling "wacky" but becuz you are anemic and need the iron from meat, does not mean a vegetarian diet is wacky. It's very healthy and many people can live on it and thrive, including athletes, pregnant women, children, and all types of active adults.

Most vegatarians i know dont eat "meat substitutes," but yes they are out there. I dont eat them nor do i eat soy. I use almond milk becuz i need something on my cereal and i dont want cow's milk.

I totally disagree that MANY will get sick and fail to thrive. If someone has a medical condition and cant be a vegetarian - that is one thing.

Many on the regular diet of the US are sick and failing to thrive.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I dont know what diet you are calling "wacky" but becuz you are anemic and need the iron from meat, does not mean a vegetarian diet is wacky. It's very healthy and many people can live on it and thrive, including athletes, pregnant women, children, and all types of active adults.

Most vegatarians i know dont eat "meat substitutes," but yes they are out there. I dont eat them nor do i eat soy. I use almond milk becuz i need something on my cereal and i dont want cow's milk.

I totally disagree that MANY will get sick and fail to thrive. If someone has a medical condition and cant be a vegetarian - that is one thing.

Many on the regular diet of the US are sick and failing to thrive.

A percentage of people MAY do ok on the wacky Veganc*lt diet.....many will get sick and fail to thrive

Uh, if you did not notice I was referring to the Veganc*lt. Yeah I think that you can be very healthy on a vegetarian diet........vegan........if you are strict it is a rare few that will do good on that diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss