Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,356,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im quite sure its POSSIBLE to get everything one needs from non animal sources. Am I the only one here who learned about the whole legumes plus grains = complete proteins thing? Which is why peasant/poverty cuisines the world over have grain plus legume combinations? Pita with hummus, red beans and rice, tofu and rice, pasta fagioli, even peanut butter on bread. Animal protein was historically too scarce (in agricultural societies) for poor people to rely on.
Yes... and the societies that eat the least meat are often the healthiest and have the leanest bodies, also.

You can say all you want about "needing" meat or a diverse diet - YES people need diverse foods, but they DONT need meat or animal products for their proteins or vitamins. I see a nutritionist and doctor who agree - and they are "normal" people in their professions and not special holistic health doctors or anything. Vegetarianisn or near-vegetarianisn is becoming much more normal now. (WTS - people can be unhealthy on any diet, eating ANYthing.)

Yes, fresh fruits and veggies are the best things for you, along with nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains. If you want to eat animal protein it's fine, but you dont need it to be healthy, or to be active and live a long, full life.

This is known in the medical and dietary community now, it's not 'mad (hippie) science' anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:30 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,543,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I just finished a book about human behavior as related to the study of primates, especially Chimps--our closest relatives.

Chimps are omnivores, they hunt, kill and consume meat--including other primates such as smaller monkeys.

Does that translate into we humans are meant to be omnivores, too, and eat meat? Is it wired into our DNA from our distant relatives, the Chimps?
I can't believe this thread has gone on this long and nobody has addressed the obvious:

Omnivores eat both plants and meat. It's from the Latin for "anything."

What you're asking is whether or not we're MEAT eaters, which is CARNIVORE.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
tickyul, everyone is asking the same question to you here, and you keep answering something that no one is asking. People here are asking you to please clarify a specific word:

Veganc*It

That - above. Is it a brand name of a specific diet? Is it a phrase from a book or a website? You keep using this word over and over again, but no one seems to know what it is, or what it means. It sounds like a brand of vitamins, to me, and not a diet at all. But having no way of looking it up, all I (and everyone else) can do is guess. Obviously we keep guessing wrong, because you keep telling us about it assuming we all know what you're talking about.

What, please, does Veganc*It MEAN?
If.........................uh....................u h...............uh, you cannot figure out what the missing letter is, well......I won't say.

Or maybe you want me to stop censoring myself so you can try to get me suspended.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im quite sure its POSSIBLE to get everything one needs from non animal sources. Am I the only one here who learned about the whole legumes plus grains = complete proteins thing? Which is why peasant/poverty cuisines the world over have grain plus legume combinations? Pita with hummus, red beans and rice, tofu and rice, pasta fagioli, even peanut butter on bread. Animal protein was historically too scarce (in agricultural societies) for poor people to rely on.

Really.....true B12.....from non-animal sources........nope. Dha/Epa in sufficient amounts on a Ve***c*lt diet..........nope.

It is not always what is available from foods.....it is how well your body can absorb and utilize what is in the foods. For example, iron from plant sources is absorbed at rates of 2-10%. Iron from beef is absorbed at a MUCH higher rate......20-35%. I have anemia, there is no way I could rely on plant based iron to truly help my anemia.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I would certainly agree that someone with anemia could have problems with only non-heme dietary iron and you're probably smart not to try it (as anyone with a legitimate medical condition would be), but I think it's inaccurate to represent that only a small portion of people would do fine on a wacky diet. Most people would do fine. A large part of the success our species has enjoyed is due to our ability to eat anything.

I don't disagree that ethical veganism can be a marker for a particular kind of wackiness, but it isn't necessarily the dangerous diet that it gets portrayed as unless it's undertaken by someone without the wherewithall to educate themselves about what they need to eat in order to stay alive.

I don't espouse that philosophy (I'm just a plain old born meat-eater) but I wouldn't pass any judgement against someone for making that decision or assume that they were stupid - I would just understand that we weren't going to have any meaningful and enjoyable discussions about hunting and fishing and they would have to understand that I've heard all of the talking points about how meat is murder, I've seen Food, Inc., I've seen Earthlings and none of the hyperbole or graphic depicitions therein have had a profound enough impact on me to put an end to my pursuit of animal proteins. I don't need to believe that I can't thrive on a vegan diet to justify killing my food - I accept what I am, the roots of my species and have no problem with it.
How about someone who forces the V**anc*lt diet on their kids or an infant/toddler................and they fail to thrive or worse yet get very sick from deficiencies?????????

Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,356,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
How about someone who forces the V**anc*lt diet on their kids or an infant/toddler................and they fail to thrive or worse yet get very sick from deficiencies?????????
Since none of us here (I dont think) know what diet you are talking about, we cant answer with exact knowledge about what they're eating.

The child should be seeing a doctor and the parent can learn how to meet the nutritional requirements. It does NOT have to be with MEAT or animal products. We can go on like this forever...

Parents ARE usually the ones in charge of their infant or toddlers food, and often they give them fast food and processed food sources which are VERY unhealthy. I know WAY more parents that feed their young kids Happy Meals with fries and nuggets, Hamburger Helper, and hot dogs than i do vegetarian or vegan diets. Those are not full of nourishing ingredients and vitamins.

If you know someone who is doing this, you should recommend they take their child to the doctor for a checkup, not feed them meat.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
That's not within the scope of my statement.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Tickyul, I'm sorry we're all being so dense. Are you talking about the vegan diet in general, just giving it a name you thought up, or is there a type of veganism with this special name?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Really.....true B12.....from non-animal sources........nope. Dha/Epa in sufficient amounts on a Ve***c*lt diet..........nope.

It is not always what is available from foods.....it is how well your body can absorb and utilize what is in the foods. For example, iron from plant sources is absorbed at rates of 2-10%. Iron from beef is absorbed at a MUCH higher rate......20-35%. I have anemia, there is no way I could rely on plant based iron to truly help my anemia.

Its not clear that for the non anemic among us that that lower absorption rate is a problem. And I read that some plants have higher rates.

As for B12, some vegans apparently claim some plants have substances that substitute for it, but scientific studies show that to be correct. Myself that would be reason to add animal sources OR a synthetic supplement to my diet - but then Im not one of those people who considers mainstream nutritional science to be a giant hoax pursued by agribusiness.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
Could it be Vegan Cult?? If it's not, I give up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss