Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well yeah as a topping...but when you include "sour cream" in a list of "full serving" type foods such as veggies, meat, fish...I thought they were talking about like - eating half a cup of the stuff.
Yikes. I think that would make me feel ill. Although I guess if you put onion soup mix in it and dipped chips into it that would be doing the same thing.

Good suggestion on the greek yogurt. Although it still has a lot of calories to just chow down by the cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yikes. I think that would make me feel ill. Although I guess if you put onion soup mix in it and dipped chips into it that would be doing the same thing.

Good suggestion on the greek yogurt. Although it still has a lot of calories to just chow down by the cup.
Greek yogurt is awesome. Although 1 cup seems high calorie, you also get a big chunk or protein and calcium as well. It is hard to finish and entire cup, it has about 20 grams of protein.

You can do a lot worse with 1 cup of something.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Greek yogurt is awesome. Although 1 cup seems high calorie, you also get a big chunk or protein and calcium as well. It is hard to finish and entire cup, it has about 20 grams of protein.

You can do a lot worse with 1 cup of something.
Too many carbs for my way of eating.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,515,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
First of all, congratulations on the 94 pounds so far.
Second, I've never heard of sour cream as being a diet food. It's a pretty rich, ultra-fat product.
Third, eliminate the soda entirely, and that might just be the push you need to get the next phase. Do -not- replace it with "diet" anything. Just replace it with plain, unflavored water, or if you absolutely must flavor it, add a squeeze of a wedge of lemon or lime to the glass, no sweetener.

LEAN red meat is a good protein, and if you're not eating fish, fruits, veggies, or red meat, you might be lacking protein. Add a little. Just a few ounces per day.

Try to add at least one green salad every other day, with romaine, spinach or baby spinach, green-leaf and red-leaf lettuce, a couple cherry or grape tomatoes, a pinch of cheese for flavoring, maybe a few brocolli florettes, some snap peas, a couple of fresh baby carrots, a leaf or two of endive or curly-leaf lettuce, a half dozen or so chickpeas, and dress it simply with a splash of olive oil and vinegar.

Reduce whatever potatoes or other starch (corn, bread, pasta) to 1/4 less of whatever you're currently consuming. So - if you're having a plate of pasta, have 3/4 of a plate of pasta. If you're having 2 slices of bread, have just 1 big slice instead. If you have a full ladle of mashed potatoes, have 3/4 of a ladle of them.

If you do all that AND excercise, the rest should come off easy, and still give you plenty of food options to enjoy.

Definitely walk! Or turn on the stereo and dance in the privacy and comfort of your living room, for at least 15 minutes, twice every day (minimum 30 minutes total daily)!
Good advice, thank you! Cutting down portion sizes was the main thing I did that worked for me. Now I think exercise is the missing component to get me back to losing weight.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM

20,940 posts, read 28,455,262 times
How about giving weight watchers a try? I know I keep saying that in every thread but I think it's the best out there. I hope when I get to goal and maintain I can become a leader.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:33 PM

525 posts, read 762,005 times
People's body weights remain remarkably stable over a decade. When poepl are not trying to change their weight, they usually remain stable.

NOBODY can consciously match the MANY, MANY MILLIONS of calories ingested to expended over a decade. Our bodies do it for us.

Body weight is , for the most part, NOT consciously controlled. We have extremely complex homeostatic INVOLUNTARY regulatory systems for body weight.

Obesity is as genetic as HEIGHT.

YOUR BODY IS IN CONTROL in the LONG TERM. We ONLy "control" or "choose" to be about 10 pounds less) at the lower end of our setpoints. Beyond that our BODIES are in control

Obesity is NOT a personal failing. Look into Dr Douglas Coleman Dr Arya Sharma - REAL OBESIY RESEARCHERS AND SCIENTISTS

Diet advice? DO NOT DIET. ALL these things are SCAMS from the UNSCIENTIFIC FRAUDULENT commercial diet industry.

LONG TERM, eating well and exercising do NOT affect body weight much. THey are FOR HEALTH MAINTENANCE, NOT weight loss.

We need to respect the extreme limited potency of voluntary factors to affect weight

SCIENCE has demonsrrated this.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 PM

20,940 posts, read 28,455,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
People's body weights remain remarkably stable over a decade. When poepl are not trying to change their weight, they usually remain stable.

NOBODY can consciously match the MANY, MANY MILLIONS of calories ingested to expended over a decade. Our bodies do it for us.

Body weight is , for the most part, NOT consciously controlled. We have extremely complex homeostatic INVOLUNTARY regulatory systems for body weight.

YOUR BODY IS IN CONTROL in the LONG TERM. We ONLy "control" or "choose" to be about 10 pounds less) at the lower end of our setpoints. Beyond that our BODIES are in control

Obesity is NOT a personal failing. Look into Dr Douglas Coleman Dr Arya Sharma - REAL OBESIY RESEARCHERS AND SCIENTISTS

Diet advice? DO NOT DIET. ALL these things are SCAMS from the UNSCIENTIFIC FRAUDULENT commercial diet industry.

LONG TERM, eating well and exercising do NOT affect body weight much. THey are FOR HEALTH MAINTENANCE, NOT weight loss.

We need to respect the extreme limited potency of voluntary factors to affect weight

what makes you an expert on this?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
Quote:

Peer reviewed evidence please.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,094 times
Quote:

Just not true.

Eating a balanced diet won't make anyone fat unless they are in a diseased state. 10lbs...don't think so jack...otherwise I wouldn't be where I am at and stayed here for years. I also never would of gained the weight to lose.
Calories are just units of energy to support body mass. Eat too many calories your body will make them muscle or fat depending on your activity level and genetics (some people bulk more easily). Obesity is just a reflection of a diseased state or overeating. When people who are overweight and don't try to change their weight they usually continue to gain a bit every year until the cardiologist puts them on a diet because of high BP or a heart attack. Or maybe the GP diagnoses them with diabetes. Science and everyday life has demonstrated that.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,515,014 times
Quote:

Sorry to rain on your "pet cause" there Chief, but I started dieting and eating well and have lost almost 100 lbs. You're wrong and welcome to take your crusade elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss