Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight227 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. SB does not recommend eating large amounts of meat. It focuses on large amounts of vegetables, whole grains, only lean meats, fruits, legumes, and tofu. That's pretty healthy and balanced. Not anywhere near Atkins all meat, eggs, and cheese plan.
Starrynight is correct. The South Beach diet is NOT heavy on meat and dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 AM

673 posts, read 3,145,327 times
Thanks so much I have alot of good feedback on this forum. I think I'll keep excercising and then possibly give it a try...and also talk to my doctor about it and get his opinion on what's the best way to lose weight.

Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
With any diet, (and I've tried most of them) it's a good jump start but the important thing is to learn how to control your portions.
I agree with Vasinger that we should be able to eat all foods. We can't go through all our life turning down foods that aren't allowed on the diet.
SB, along with other diets have forbidden foods. How boring is that? I've done better and kept off the weight by eating any food I choose, smaller portions, of course but SB is a good jumpstart.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
I was talking to a doctor who goes to our church the other day and he suggests that people try not eliminating but cutting their current carb intake about in half. I personally am going to try to cut my carb intake and see what happens. (I'm dieting anyway, but feel I need to do a little more.)

Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Starrynight is correct. The South Beach diet is NOT heavy on meat and dairy.
Listen to cil. I find much of what South Beach recommends to be very helpful to my diet. As someone who has problems with food caused health problems, I found the South Beach Heart Program to be logical, doable and maintainable. I was only on a diet for a few weeks, and did more to change my eating habits than count calories or any of that. Dr. Agatston, the author, lets me makes the choices, and gave me enough to choose from that I can live happily with them.

BUT I have come to the conclusion that seeking one diet to cure all my problems is stupid. There is no more one-size-fits-all in health than there is in apparel. I also recommend Eat Drink and be Healthy by Dr. Walter Willett of Harvard who reviews all the claims and counter claims and helps sort the truth from the biased. He does have a diet to sell, just good nutrition.

The one common factor in all the diets I have explored is that the corporate agribusiness monopolies are not concerned with the long term effects of all the foods they produce to make America fat. Cows aren't in pastures anymore, chickens never see a bug to peck at, and vegetables are raised in chemical fertilizers rather than letting nature do its job. Simple corn has been transformed by chemists into thousands of derivatives, many or which require transformations on the molecular level and are still claimed as foods.

The supermarket has become a very dangerous place for your health these days.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:55 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,241 times
Doing SB right now, and losing. I eat way less meat and dairy on this, and feel much more energized and feel like the foggy head feeling is gone. Eating lots of veggies, both cooked and raw, and low fat chicken and fish. I feel better than I have in awhile. I choose organic when there is a choice, in my small town, there's not always organic available. And I have in the back of my head my oncologist from a few years ago being so in favor of lower/sensible carb eating. I do not miss any of the sugary, processed stuff I've been eating my whole life on this food plan. I may drift into vegetarianism because of all this. I thought I couldn't live without meat and potatoes, but am finding it quite easy. To be honest, I did try SB a few years ago, and was unsuccessful, but this time my midset is different, and I feel more focused toward me, for me. And I am not hungry. I eat within the parameters of SB, and feel full. I don't think of SB as a gimmick, or a short term solution. I hope to continue to feel good, and lose weight along the way...

Old 09-23-2007, 05:57 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
After phase 1, the whole point of SB is to get rid of processed carbs. Human beings were not meant to eat those things anyway, so I don't understand the controversy of giving them up.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:36 PM

67 posts, read 228,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
I went back a few threads and didnt see anything on this topic (although I probably overlooked it) so I'm sorry if this is a repeat. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the South Beach Diet and if it really worked? I know someone who claims she lost alot, like 60lbs, on SB without excercising. She was pretty large and I'm questioning that.

I currently do excercise, or try to, at least 30 minutes a day. I ride bike, walk, and swim. I've also tried to cut my portions in half but of course the holiday weekend ruined that. I was thinking about trying South Beach but would like to hear from others who have tried it.

Thanks!
YOU NEED A LARGE SALAD BOWL

Shredd five leaves of a lettuce
chop one fourth of an apple
handful of slivered almonds or any kind of nuts
four cherry tomatoes quartered
tablespoon of raisins
three cheeries
teaspoon of cherry juice from the cheeries
shredded cheese half of a handful
two rings of purple onions
one radish chopped
shredded carrots half of handful
three leaves of spinach (fresh)
four slices of cucumbers
few chunks of whatever meat is left over in the refrigerator from yesterday
vinegar and oil dressing
glass of distilled water

Eat some pineapples alone. Not with a meal. It is an antiinflammatory agent if eaten alone. If eaten with the meal, it helps with digestion.

Eat this for Breakfast and eat whatever you want to for dinner. Trust me you won't want to each much after you eat this in the morning. I eat this for breakfast and a baby ruth for dinner. Drink distilled water throughout the day. Within two days, not only will you have lost weight, you will feel much better and have more energy, In two weeks, your hair, skin, eyes and personality will have changed for the better. This is a real good salad. I use sardines soaked in hotsauce for meat. I have gone from a 16 to a 10 and I am not on a diet. I DO NOT EAT OR DRINK DIET ANYTHING. I DO EXERCISE. IF YOU HAVE A MATE, THAT IS THE VERY BEST EXERCISE. I just eat this salad in the morning and it stops stopped my cravings. TRUST ME, YOU ALREADY HAVE MOST OF THIS STUFF IN YOUR FRIDGE OR IN YOUR CABINETS.

Last edited by nadinethehowlingdemocrat; 09-23-2007 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: ADD THE SALAD BOWL

Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM

443 posts, read 1,792,727 times
Southbeach diet taught me alot about what foods are good and what foods aren't as good. I still do southbeach but we occassionally let ourselves eat whatever we want about 1 meal a week. I've lost about 25lbs since Feb. Give it a try it certainly cannot hurt.

Check out their forums

SB Diet Message Boards :: Index

Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadinethehowlingdemocrat View Post
YOU NEED A LARGE SALAD BOWL

Shredd five leaves of a lettuce
chop one fourth of an apple
handful of slivered almonds or any kind of nuts
four cherry tomatoes quartered
tablespoon of raisins
three cheeries
teaspoon of cherry juice from the cheeries
shredded cheese half of a handful
two rings of purple onions
one radish chopped
shredded carrots half of handful
three leaves of spinach (fresh)
four slices of cucumbers
few chunks of whatever meat is left over in the refrigerator from yesterday
vinegar and oil dressing
glass of distilled water

Eat some pineapples alone. Not with a meal. It is an antiinflammatory agent if eaten alone. If eaten with the meal, it helps with digestion.

Eat this for Breakfast and eat whatever you want to for dinner. Trust me you won't want to each much after you eat this in the morning. I eat this for breakfast and a baby ruth for dinner. Drink distilled water throughout the day. Within two days, not only will you have lost weight, you will feel much better and have more energy, In two weeks, your hair, skin, eyes and personality will have changed for the better. This is a real good salad. I use sardines soaked in hotsauce for meat. I have gone from a 16 to a 10 and I am not on a diet. I DO NOT EAT OR DRINK DIET ANYTHING. I DO EXERCISE. IF YOU HAVE A MATE, THAT IS THE VERY BEST EXERCISE. I just eat this salad in the morning and it stops stopped my cravings. TRUST ME, YOU ALREADY HAVE MOST OF THIS STUFF IN YOUR FRIDGE OR IN YOUR CABINETS.
I'm assuming the 'cheeries' are actually cherries.
The salad above sounds pretty good, but leave out the meat and cheese. Both contribute to clogged arteries and weight gain.Feed it to your dog, but don't eat it. Also, leave out the oil. Very bad for weight loss. Since oil is 100% fat any way you use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss