Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,584 times

Advertisements

I was on the South Beach Diet for about 4 months a year ago. I lost about 15 lbs, but have since put it back on. The first two weeks were hard, but I did feel good after being on for 3 weeks. Cutting out the sugar and white flour was a good thing. I just couldn't go without pasta. I like mediterranean/italian dishes. I'm trying now to just not eat the sugar, and started riding a bike 4 months ago for 10 miles a day, 5 days a week.
I can't seem to stay on any restrictive diets. I think as someone suggested, cut back on portions, exercise, and eat healtier. I've only lost 3 lbs, but I don't feel deprived. Also, I felt dizzy and nauseated when I cut out the carbs so dramatically the first 2 weeks on the SB diet. I don't think it's good to cut them off completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 PM

255 posts, read 821,409 times
Default Low carb pasta

I was skeptical about it at first, but Dreamfields makes a low carb pasta in different varieties, and it actually tastes good: Dreamfields Pasta Tastes Great, Healthy Pasta for Low Carb Diets, Diabetes Diets, Low Glycemic Index.

While you can order it online from different vendors, I've also found the Dreamfields penne and spaghetti at Safeway.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 PM

67 posts, read 228,670 times
Thanks Pink String. I use Olive Oil and I mostly use the sardines as meat. Growing old will clogg your arteries just as fast as food will. Cherries yes. I tried all of the diets and I can't do them.Someone turned me on to this salad and because of its nutritional value, it stopped all of my food cravings. Then I added the green tea and was able to give up the five cokes a day. Now, I hardly drink soft drinks. I will tell anyone to do what works for them and get healthy. God Bless.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,152 times
I am not familiar with this diet, but I use a Fat Burner very effectively with any diet. Just to kick your metabolism alive! GL

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-02-2007 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 AM

448 posts, read 1,049,722 times
I lost over 30 pounds after reading the south beach diet book and using some of the ideas. I think what did it was just the inspiration factor. I didn't really follow the diet, but what I did do is use the accepted snack list. I cut back my carbs, but did not eliminate them. If I ordered a burger, I removed the top bun and ate it like an open faced sandwhich....that kind of stuff. The huge thing was carbs as snacks. You eat a ton of calories with snacks. I made my self snack bags that I measured out myself based on the suggested snacks in the SB diet book (mostly trail mix). I made sure I ate my snack each morning, afternoon and evening and discovered I was less hungry at meals and ate less in general. So I say go ahead and read the book and see if there is something you can use in it for modifying your lifestyle. I agree with the people who say youwill gain it all back when you go off the diet. The point is to make changes you will stick to, not do extreme things you will never be able to maintain.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
Quote:
I'm skeptical about the individual's claim that she was able lose to the amount of weight claimed without exercising (unless it took her a long time) -
When I was 19 I lost 45 lbs. in four months on Jenny Craig with no exercise. I was a hairdresser so it's not like I sat on my butt all day but I did no traditional exercise and kept it off. Not that I'm advacating no exercise I do now, I'm just pointing out that it is possible.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:36 PM

186 posts, read 352,720 times
The only diet I know to lose weight is running 4 times a week for 40 minutes. This diet works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,176 times
I have tried SBD due to the recommendation of a Cardiologist. He was not recommending it in the strictest sense but I knew that I had to go all the way or not at all. Over a period of about 5 months or so I lost about 35 pounds on the diet alone. Phase 1 was killer. No grains, no fruit, etc. I usually eat out and had to prepare all of my meals for the first two weeks, which was really hard but worth it. After that there are things that you can basically never eat, though they include them in some of their own products. I would recommend signing up at the website, it is really the most comprehensive way of following understanding and keeping with it. You chose what you want (from a list) for every meal. It includes recipes and shopping lists. I love their pizzas, chocolate soynuts, cookies (when I can find them) and their various versions of cereal bar type products are okay. Not a fan of the frozen entrees or wraps. Many of their prepackaged items which would normally be sweet do contain artificial sweeteners, so you have to be okay with eating that or not having any sweets. My husband just found a bunch of no sugar added candy at the Sweet Factory and I find things here and there that I can eat but it is really hard and I have become an avid label reader. Other than the artificial sweeteners, this is really just a very healthy diet, no excessive fats, etc. like Atkins, something that anyone, especially a diabetic, can do. I typed up a cheat sheet for items I can eat, since I went back to eating out a lot. On one side it has the do’s and don’ts, like rices, fruits, breads and vegetables and on the other is a list of items at specific restaurants and fast food when eating out. It is in my purse at all times. This can all be found at the website. (When I signed up in October 2007, I think it was $5.00 a month with a three month billing and minimum. I also paid a few more dollars a month to have access to a dietician through email to answer any questions.) Realistically, you only need the website for a few months than you already know everything you need to live on it. And that’s really what you have to do, live on it. There’s really no going back. I allow myself one day a month where I basically eat whatever I’m missing the rest of the month, as well as special occasions like holidays and my birthday, etc. If you understand a little bit about how the body works you would know that the way we process food is different from one person to the next. Some people actually use carbohydrates for energy and some just get fat. I still to this day don’t know if I succeeded because I got rid of all of the bad carbs or because I simply eat less and better. For the sake of eating a better diet or living a healthier lifestyle and losing weight, I would recommend this diet to anyone. I definitely consider myself a success story.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
I have done the south beach diet many times. The first three days are the hardest, but YES, it really does work! I lost 12 lbs in a month but was on phase 1 the entire time. You have to really want it to make it happen. I easily loose 5 lbs in a 2 weeks period, but am also older and have two kids from the first time I did it. I am 5 ft 6 1/2 inches and am now back up to 166. I cheat for 3 days and gain the 5 lbs back - its that quick. I also am VERY bad, so know its my fault. Sundas chocolate, chips, yo uname it! I almost over do it since I know I already messed my day up by cheating a little. You cant do this! I am back on it today, and hope I can stay clear. With Valentines Day this weekend, I will probably cheat again, but want to look good for the summer - Hope I've helped! PS I also had a friend who got me on this. He was over 400 lbs and got down to 175! its awesome and does work, and I didnt even work out. You can tend to get saggy though, so try to excercise to stay toned - GL!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
If the South Beach diet works how come you had to do it 'many' times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss