Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 05:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,315 times

Advertisements

So far there's no proof that anything can beat genes. Sure, if you overly abuse your body, you'll be headed down a slippery slope, but genes cannot be modified by going overboard with health theories. Genes simply cannot be modified.

I believe the best anyone can do is avoid abusing one's body with too much crap, and keep one's body in some sort of motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The thing with genetics that makes it a slippery slope, is that some people use it as an excuse to -not- take care of their health. "Oh well who cares if I eat this twinkie, I'm genetically inclined toward obesity. This extra 50 pounds I have hanging off my thighs and stomach is genetic, not cause of the twinkie. I could go on a healthy, balanced diet today, and join a gym and become its most active member, and I'll still weigh 50 pounds too much tomorrow, because it's GENETIC."

And that can't be further from the truth.

Yes, there is a -propensity- toward obesity if you have the genetics for it. But again - if you are aware of that, then you can adjust for it, and maintain a healthy weight and a fit body. Apply genetics to anything "lung cancer runs in the family so who cares if I smoke 2 packs a day. I"ll get lung cancer regardless." "Alcoholism is genetic on my mother's side. So don't give me any crap about the 6-pack I drink every night, buster. I'm destined to be an alcoholic, and no amount of abstaining will prevent it."

Well guess what. Death is genetic too. Think about the implications of that, while you munch your twinkie, wash it down with beer, and smoke a Camel when you're finished.

Genes determine our -present existence.- They don't predict our future. They only predict the -capacity- for certain future issues. Your brown hair is genetic. Your baldness is genetic. Your alcoholism is not genetic. However, the *potential* to become addicted to alcohol, IS genetic. So if you avoid drinking in the first place, you won't become an alcoholic.

Same with obesity. If you spend your life being careful of what you eat, and how you exercise, you will "beat" the "genetic" propensity toward obesity, and not become obese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Genes cannot be modified in humans (the same can't be said for "genetically modified foods"). However, genes do not determine whether or not you -will- be obese. They determine whether or not you -are likely- to be obese. YOU determine whether or not you will be obese.

Your choices in food and movement determine the final outcome of your likelihood to become obese. All the females in my family, on my father's side, are genetically predisposed for breast cancer. And yet, most of the females in my family, on my father's side, who have since passed from old age, did -not- get breast cancer. My father's mother did. I had a couple of lumps, none worse than a benign cyst. Just because you're predisposed for it, doesn't mean it's guaranteed. The possibility exists more for you, than it does for someone without that genetic predisposition. That is ALL it means.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Obesity is definitely a problem in this country. From personal experience, I think it has to do with the fact that this country is not very walkable. Each time I lived abroad I had no trouble with my weight. Each time I landed here, bam, I had 15 lbs on me in no time at all, but I barely walk here, whereas I walk everywhere abroad. Then I'd return abroad and the weight comes off.

Maybe a bit of it also has to do with the way we eat here. When I live abroad, I eat differently.

Coffee for breakfast in the a.m. upon getting up;

A 10:30 a.m. croissant with butter with latte or hot chocolate (with co-workers at a coffee shop across the street);

A 2:00 p.m. sit-down lunch at a local, inexpensive, small restaurant with co-workers (definitely not at a desk at work - that would be a sin!) consisting of maybe fish, veggies, small salad, wine, potatoes, bread, maybe a dessert;

Wine at the local pub with hubby and friends after work almost every day;

A really quickly made sit-down dinner with hubby at home around 10:00 p.m. that might consist of a sausage and egg omelette and tomato salad;

Sure wasn't the paleo diet, but it's VERY different from the way I eat here. Here, I sometimes eat at work at my desk, the foods are different, I eat alone a lot, have some sandwiches, barely eat any meals with a group of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Genes cannot be modified in humans (the same can't be said for "genetically modified foods"). However, genes do not determine whether or not you -will- be obese. They determine whether or not you -are likely- to be obese. YOU determine whether or not you will be obese.

Your choices in food and movement determine the final outcome of your likelihood to become obese. All the females in my family, on my father's side, are genetically predisposed for breast cancer. And yet, most of the females in my family, on my father's side, who have since passed from old age, did -not- get breast cancer. My father's mother did. I had a couple of lumps, none worse than a benign cyst. Just because you're predisposed for it, doesn't mean it's guaranteed. The possibility exists more for you, than it does for someone without that genetic predisposition. That is ALL it means.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:13 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Obesity is definitely a problem in this country. From personal experience, I think it has to do with the fact that this country is not very walkable. Each time I lived abroad I had no trouble with my weight. Each time I landed here, bam, I had 15 lbs on me in no time at all, but I barely walk here, whereas I walk everywhere abroad. Then I'd return abroad and the weight comes off.

Maybe a bit of it also has to do with the way we eat here. When I live abroad, I eat differently.

Coffee for breakfast in the a.m. upon getting up;

A 10:30 a.m. croissant with butter with latte or hot chocolate (with co-workers at a coffee shop across the street);

A 2:00 p.m. sit-down lunch at a local, inexpensive, small restaurant with co-workers (definitely not at a desk at work - that would be a sin!) consisting of maybe fish, veggies, small salad, wine, potatoes, bread, maybe a dessert;

Wine at the local pub with hubby and friends after work almost every day;

A really quickly made sit-down dinner with hubby at home around 10:00 p.m. that might consist of a sausage and egg omelette and tomato salad;

Sure wasn't the paleo diet, but it's VERY different from the way I eat here. Here, I sometimes eat at work at my desk, the foods are different, I eat alone a lot, have some sandwiches, barely eat any meals with a group of people.
Funny, when I lived abroad I also lost 15 lbs right away, without even trying, and put it all back on when I came home. Mind you, I was eating anything I wanted. French bread, chocolate croissants, vietnamese coffee, turkish kebabs. . .

Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM

467 posts, read 664,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
"Mr. Roddy and Mr. Stone write blogs are based on their independent studies and personal self experimentation. They are independent investigators who offer their interpretation of various health theories based on their own personal experiences. "

Exactly.
What is wrong with independent thought? As opposed to what? Well, good luck finding a health info online; you could start with Mercola's site. There's a whole hodge podge of gobbledygook on there to explore.

Don't be a victim of your genetics, take control of your health!
Natural Health Information Articles and Health Newsletter by Dr. Joseph Mercola

Just googled nutrition expert Ph.D. & got this:
Interview with Nutrition Expert Darcy Johannsen PhD

Metabolism naturally slows with aging (although we are not sure why) and it is more difficult to lose weight once your metabolism slows. Restrict calories if some weight loss is needed.

Expert advice we can all feel great about. Even highly trained experts don't know why metabolism slows as we age!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM

I'm so glad you said that! I've told people about that and some don't believe me. It is kinda hard to believe, but it's true. I ate chocolate bars all the time. Here, if I eat a chocolate bar a day, I put on weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Funny, when I lived abroad I also lost 15 lbs right away, without even trying, and put it all back on when I came home. Mind you, I was eating anything I wanted. French bread, chocolate croissants, vietnamese coffee, turkish kebabs. . .

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
So far there's no proof that anything can beat genes. Sure, if you overly abuse your body, you'll be headed down a slippery slope, but genes cannot be modified by going overboard with health theories. Genes simply cannot be modified.

I believe the best anyone can do is avoid abusing one's body with too much crap, and keep one's body in some sort of motion.
No, genetic determinism is dead. Google and start to learn about epigenetics.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 PM

I'm glad to hear you're modifying your genes. You're going to have to contact some scientists about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post

Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you're modifying your genes. You're going to have to contact some scientists about that.
Huh? This is kind of an interesting article:
Genes, Carbon Dioxide and Adaptation.

The idea of "genetic determinism" says that our traits are the result of the specific proteins that are produced by our specific genes. The doctrine allows for some gradations, such as "half a dose" of a trait, but in practice it becomes a purely subjective accounting for everything in terms of mysterious degrees of "penetrance" of genes, and interactions with unknown factors.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Funny, you posted on another thread about the genetic connection with obesity and told us that your parents were both slim and you've always been slim never had to do anything in particular to keep your weight down either. The problem I have with you is that your coming on here to tell us how to lose weight is similar to how it would be if I were to get up and tell alcoholics how to stop drinking. I've never been an alcoholic and I've never had a problem with drinking any more than moderately, so why would they listen to me? Or maybe I should tell smokers how to stop smoking--they'll laugh me off of here when they find out that I have never smoked. Now if you'd just lost 200 lbs and wanted respectfully to share with us all how you did it, we'd love to hear it. You don't have all the answers b/c your experience is entirely different from ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss