Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
That isn't the point. The point is, you as a consumer have -no way of knowing- whether the stuff you're consuming came from a dairy farm that uses the artificial hormone or not. And further, the dairy cooperative that collects raw milk from thousands of cows at hundreds of farms, has -no way to test- the milk to know whether or not it came from cows injected with the hormone, or if the hormone present in the milk came from the cow naturally.

ALL dairy has BST in it. All of it. There is no way to seperate it out of the milk. And because ALL milk has it, and because there exists -no way to tell- whether or not that bst came from the cow naturally, or came from the cow that was injected (or both...) then it's pointless to make any claim that the milk comes from cows that weren't injected. You can say it til the cows come home (I hope you saw what I did, there).. and it won't make any difference at all. The claim is -meaningless-.
And yet no one was making a claim anon--jerseygal was wondering if it's possible that the reason we gain 15 lbs right off the top when we come to the US is b/c of growth hormones in our food supply. It certainly is possible b/c I was eating more food and calories when I was overseas and weighing less and it's either our adulterated food supply or the fact that I was walking a lot more when I was overseas, but then I'm at the gym more and dancing a lot more when I'm here. I didn't even have to try to lose weight in France. Or Turkey, or any other country but this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
I sometimes think just entering the US airspace automatically puts the pounds on. It only gets worse once you've hit the ground.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
It almost seems that way.

There are big differences in the way people work here and abroad, and that affects the way people eat.

(1) People who work together don't have lunch together;
(2) Many people here eat at their desks;
(3) Many people don't want to have a 1-hour sit down leisurely lunch (and some don't even get an hour to do so)
(4) Some bring a sandwich or leftovers from home and eat in little breakrooms;
(5) Many eat while actually working.

I have read that eating with others causes people to notice food more, and people eat more slowly and less unhealthy stuff? Maybe by doing that it helps us eat slowly and notice what we're eating, and we eat less, more healthy foods, etc.

But then there's again the issue of driving everywhere and not using the legs much, so we end up having to have memberships at clubs to move our bodies there (some of us, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I sometimes think just entering the US airspace automatically puts the pounds on. It only gets worse once you've hit the ground.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Here is what wikipedia has to say about Jim Fixx:
Jim Fixx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On July 20, 1984, Fixx died at age 52 of a fulminant heart attack, after his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.[3] Although there were opponents of Fixx's beliefs[who?] who said this was evidence that running was harmful, medical opinion continued to uphold the link between exercise and longevity.[4] In 1986 exercise physiologist, Kenneth Cooper, published an inventory of the risk factors that might have contributed to Fixx's death.[5] Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed (his father died of a heart attack at age 43 and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart), and had several lifestyle issues. Fixx was a heavy smoker prior to beginning running at age 36, he had a stressful occupation, he had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 220 pounds (100 kg).[6]

Aside from that I think the article you posted was pretty good
Why didn't this guy's doctor tell him that running was contraindicated for someone with his family health history and an enlarged heart? Doctors today are so passive, they end up killing their patients out of neglect. I know a guy with serious disc issues in his back, and he runs every day. I told him people with his back condition should not be running, and I even checked with a couple of doctors about that, and they agreed that running would only make the problem worse. And yet this guy's doctor knows he runs, but says nothing. Doctors need to be more accountable for their patients' health. In some countries, doctors are paid extra for keeping patients well, for preventing illness.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why didn't this guy's doctor tell him that running was contraindicated for someone with his family health history and an enlarged heart? Doctors today are so passive, they end up killing their patients out of neglect. I know a guy with serious disc issues in his back, and he runs every day. I told him people with his back condition should not be running, and I even checked with a couple of doctors about that, and they agreed that running would only make the problem worse. And yet this guy's doctor knows he runs, but says nothing. Doctors need to be more accountable for their patients' health. In some countries, doctors are paid extra for keeping patients well, for preventing illness.
Doctors are not accountable for the decisions of their patients. Why do you assume the doctor did -not- tell Fixx that he shouldn't run? I interpreted that paragraph completely differently - that the medical records showed there were risks, which implies that the patient knew there were risks, and chose to do whatever he chose to do, knowing full well that he was at risk.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
My husbands orthopedist and my recent physical therapist plus myself have all told my husband he should not run because of his knees and that he is asking for major trouble. Does he listen? No.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM

326 posts, read 703,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

One of my doctors once told me that I would lose vision in one of my eyes in the next few months -- that didn't stop me from using my eyes - and they still work!

True story and that was years ago -- I think doctors are more concerned about not getting sued for malpractice than anything else these days and that keeps them from being proactive about their patients health. Which in my opinion is a good thing- I've luckily have had good health but just given what I've seen in my limited experience with doctors I am just glad google has my back...

Old 02-10-2019, 11:00 AM

233 posts, read 155,218 times
I've been wrestling with my weight ever since I got poisoned by back to back prescriptions for antibiotics, I told the dentist I was already taking them, and he said I had to take them anyways, and at that time, I was dumber than a box of rocks, and so took them, within 90 days I was swelled up like a farm animal, I gained 60lbs.

But as a result I learned lots about gut health and foods...and it is a minefield of traps and snares and bad info. The quacks still have so many buffaloed it's sad.

Then nov/2017 I had a stroke and even learned more, and a retired holistic dentist friend of mine took me to a doctor who did iv treatments to clean out my veins, as the VA hospital did an mri, and it showed only 61% circulation, so I needed that addressed, AND she said she didn't know of any stroke victims that didn't have some dental issues, and so I got a picture taken and a consultation, then chose a new holistic type dentist who examined me and removed the root canaled
teeth as well as the amalgams , so there's no longer any poison in my mouth.

I took, iv chelation, then in capsule it works, the quacks used to do it but dropped it in favor of making more money off blood thinners. Then I took liposomal colostrum, and was taking it around the time the teeth were pulled and amalgams removed and my dentist was amazed at how fast I was healing, I just gave credit to the colostrum and my dentist witnessed it. Then my last healer was Bioplasma@max rate on label for 2 weeks, but kept on taking it as I was getting unexpected improvements, and I'm still taking it.

It wasn't til I read the brochure [ westonaprice.org/wp-content/uploads/MainBrochure.pdf ] just copy/paste into browser and go, then download and read. Then it all made sense as to why I had no back pain and was more flexible and even my eyesight was slowly improving..probably the vitamins I always took is why I never had arthritis, but my friend, my age, has it a bit, but he's just a stiff necked Israelite and don't know it.

So the western diet is a two edged sword, it makes some of us fat, screws up most of or teeth, gives us high blood pressure, and diabetes and more....so it's not natural, but it is in another way of thinking, if you know that a loss in nutrition will give results to make the need for doctors and dentists, it does make sense.

We've been conned out of our common sense, and healthy oils and such, AND even the vitamins are barely enuf to help, they do, but we truly need more nutrition BUT how does one walk around with all the fresh foods one needs in their hip pocket ? They can't...but making adjustments to the diet is needed, the warning against butter and coconut oil is hogwash we need it for good health, but the system needs us sick so they can earn a living, running useless tests, and giving us unhealthy options in our mouths...it's all insane....maybe you'll agree, maybe not.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:57 AM

164 posts, read 127,198 times
Hi,
In my opinion, dieting is not a solution for weight loss.
Here are some tips to lose weight naturally:
1. Stay hydrated.
2. Do exercise regularly.
3. Eat slowly.
4. Say no to frying.
5. Sleep properly.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss