Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times

Advertisements

There are several types of juicers. Here a web site link that discusses three types of juicers:

How to Choose the Best Juice Extractor / Juicer Machine for You | Juicer Recipes Now

I have the Breville Juice Fountain Elite juicer. It's not very efficient at juicing some fruits (berries and melons) and vegetables (green leafs), leaving behind a lot of juice with the fiber. That's why I purchased a VitaMix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
This is the juicer I have:
Amazon.com: Trudeau 12-Ounce Juice Reamer, Orange: Kitchen & Dining

Though this is the type I used when I worked in a coffeehouse that served fresh-roasted coffee (roasted in the roaster in the basement of the building) and juice squeezed-to-order:

Manual Citrus Juicer - 932 available from Hamilton Beach

My blender is equally mundane - a run of the mill old-fashioned cheap Hamilton Beach with a plastic container top. You know the type, it starts to smell like it's burning when you run it longer than 60 seconds.

I don't own a Cuisinart or a Mixer. I do have a Mouli cheese grater and one of those funky Popiel chopper contraptions that you punch the top until your knuckles hurt, and it minces your tomatoes for you.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,193 times
I use a cheap blender to make a green smoothie. I usually put spinach, carrots, celery, strawberries, banana, and broccoli. The key is to use enough fruit to balance the vegetables.

The Ninja blender works well. It has 6 blades.

I have a cheap one and it takes a little more work. I just add some water and blend a few vegetables up. Then I have to stop, push the stuff down to the blades, and start again. Once it takes a smoothie form, it is easier to blend the stuff in there, but I still have to push/mix with a spoon. It also smells like it's burning after 5 minutes.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I just ordered a Vitamax after reading reviews of others that ended up being close to that in price. I really want to be able to increase my intake of leafy greens outside of salads, and I think this will do it for me.
I continue to be open to any suggestions about what to use, how to use it, and so on.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Congrats on your purchase. Since my purchase of the Vitamix blender, I have almost no use for my Breville juicer. I didn't like tossing the fiberous pulp, and I hated to clean it after each use. I just may give it to my brother.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Thanks. So does the Vitamix smash up the fiber into the drink itself? I don't see wanting to get rid of it (unless it's kale-tasting!)

Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Yes, if you drink the juice immediately. If you store it in a glass bottle in your refrig, the fiber will consolidate loosely into a lumpy mass. Just shake the bottle to remix the ingredients. Also, don't forget to add water, milk, cocunut water or whatever to the jar prior to mixing.

The taste of kale can be neutralized by adding lemon or apple. Sometimes I'll sweeten the mix by adding a little organic raw blue agave syrup.

You may want to check out Youtube videos on juicing recipes.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Yes, if you drink the juice immediately. If you store it in a glass bottle in your refrig, the fiber will consolidate loosely into a lumpy mass. Just shake the bottle to remix the ingredients. Also, don't forget to add water, milk, cocunut water or whatever to the jar prior to mixing.

The taste of kale can be neutralized by adding lemon or apple. Sometimes I'll sweeten the mix by adding a little organic raw blue agave syrup.

You may want to check out Youtube videos on juicing recipes.
+1! 1 of each makes things VERY nice.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Lemon juice is one of my few (if not only) cooking secrets!
Vitamix should arrive today.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Lemon juice is one of my few (if not only) cooking secrets!
Vitamix should arrive today.
OOoo! Tell me more! what do you use it in!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss