Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

(Disclaimer- I am not considering "detoxing," or juice fasting or anything). I want an easy, quick way to take in more vegetables, period. I have been working with a naturopathic nutritionist who is very firm on Paleo diet, and she has been absolutely correct about my carb cravings, junk/pastry binges, and no refined carbs being the way *for me* to go. I am also taking some nutritional supplements that I am not trying to sell or push here, but I do think they've helped make it possible for me to walk past refined carbs, even when a co-worker brings in great chewy gourmet cookies *every night*. (We work third shift, and it is all too easy to eat whatever is around for entertainment, and then the cycle of craving goes on. For me, that is).
I make a protein drink, usually with frozen berries and some of the liquid nutr. supp. she suggests, which tastes lousy and is hidden by the berries. I use water and skim milk. I tried putting kale in once, but my cheap blender only chopped it up some and the drink tasted like... kale.
I would like a juicer/blender that leaves the pulp or fiber in from fruits and vegetables and use it as a way to get more vegetables in quickly. Also, would protein powder mixed with a vegetabletype-drink be disgusting?
I've seen people praise the Vitamix, which, besides being pricey, does appear to make stuff that I don't need it for, like soup and ice cream and all. I'd appreciate juicer recommendations for making a vegetable juice and keeping fiber, if there is such a thing. Thanks for the info I hope for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
since you're looking to keep the fiber, you're not looking for a juicer.

Question is, why does it have to be mixed into ONE drink? Why can't you keep the protein shake and vegetable/fruit smoothie separate?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:18 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Juicing the right way works!

I have to be careful here with commercial endorsements, or when they are seen to be that... but I have to tell you: my wife & I both got on the... OK, no names... famous juice-only fast that a guy (Joe Cross from Australia) did his now-famous-video on. Fat, sick and.... well, you go look up the rest.

Anyhow, I had given our son a Waring Pro Juicer for Xmas two years ago and yeah, it works, sorta. Leaves a lot to be desired, and it spits about, oh at least, 30% of the stuff you "feed" it right into it's pulp collection area, which also quickly becomes plugged up anyhow.

So I went with the one that Aussie Joe uses, which start with a "B". A "Br" to be more specific. Their unit that sells for about $149 is wonderful. Easy to clean as well, but most importantly, it gets the max juice out of whatever you put into it.

Just another note: when you want to juice citrus in any juicing machine, you pretty much have to peel it first. You don't just jam a complete full orange in there; the strong and/or very bitter taste would be overwhelming. But it's also a big ol' pain to have to peel them, so I started using my wifes very old regular citrus juicer, the kind you use by cutting the orange or grapefruit in half and then pushing it down onto a then-rotating head that sits over a pulp screen.

Voila! Fresh citrus juice, no hassle. Then I dump that juice right in with the juice out of my Brev... oh... I'm sorry... my brand-name juicer.

This diet has been absolutely astounding. 19 lb in the first 5 days, no feelings of cravings, my BP dropped about 25 points on average, my insulin requirements have been halved, and I feel a whole lot better!

So: don't give up; give this stuff a good honest try. PS: For more info, you can always DM me!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I have to be careful here with commercial endorsements, or when they are seen to be that... but I have to tell you: my wife & I both got on the... OK, no names... famous juice-only fast that a guy (Joe Cross from Australia) did his now-famous-video on. Fat, sick and.... well, you go look up the rest.

Anyhow, I had given our son a Waring Pro Juicer for Xmas two years ago and yeah, it works, sorta. Leaves a lot to be desired, and it spits about, oh at least, 30% of the stuff you "feed" it right into it's pulp collection area, which also quickly becomes plugged up anyhow.

So I went with the one that Aussie Joe uses, which start with a "B". A "Br" to be more specific. Their unit that sells for about $149 is wonderful. Easy to clean as well, but most importantly, it gets the max juice out of whatever you put into it.

Just another note: when you want to juice citrus in any juicing machine, you pretty much have to peel it first. You don't just jam a complete full orange in there; the strong and/or very bitter taste would be overwhelming. But it's also a big ol' pain to have to peel them, so I started using my wifes very old regular citrus juicer, the kind you use by cutting the orange or grapefruit in half and then pushing it down onto a then-rotating head that sits over a pulp screen.

Voila! Fresh citrus juice, no hassle. Then I dump that juice right in with the juice out of my Brev... oh... I'm sorry... my brand-name juicer.

This diet has been absolutely astounding. 19 lb in the first 5 days, no feelings of cravings, my BP dropped about 25 points on average, my insulin requirements have been halved, and I feel a whole lot better!

So: don't give up; give this stuff a good honest try. PS: For more info, you can always DM me!
I also use this ikonic juicer and it works great for juicing. But! The OP isn't looking for a juicer, they want to blend the pulp too!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Wink Oppps. Sorry. But still, some more free advice!

Sorry: I probably misinterpreted this line from the OP:

"I'd appreciate juicer recommendations for making a vegetable juice and keeping fiber, if there is such a thing. "

So... Perhaps one could then re-blend some of the separated pulp back into the juice? The effect of a good micro-juicer like the Big B, is that it so effectively releases the micro-nutrients out of the raw veggies by such ultra-fine processing, but I do also wonder about what I lose when I then feed the pulp to my grateful chickens.

(They gobble it all up no even cackling when I drop it in front of them twice a day! I think it's a pure gourmet treat for them! They do then go on to produce some wonderful and VERY ORGANIC eggs, btw... and our chickens, to my wife's dismay as regards her garden... run quite lose, picking up insects, worms, etc. Truly... a lot of fun to watch!)

Oh, and I get to eat one of those eggs each morning along with some wonderful bread: Dave's Killer Breads! Check them out on Google too. Really good tasting stuff! (No commercial endorsements allowed...)

Another late add-on idea: I have also made a smoothie with my juice, some yogurt and a raw egg (horrors!). You could easily add in a 1/4 cup, let's say, of the pulp you get out of your juicer. Like the easily separated carrot pulp. Or put that into a muffin?

Have fun, and a-santé!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Vitamix and BlendTec are the two of the most notable and effective blenders bragged about on YouTube videos. I have the former, which I chose because every smoothie establishment I visited used that particular brand. Yeah it looks ugly, but it does the job.

Breville makes a blender. Not too sure about the quality. Check Amazon for reviews.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
The Vitamix may be expensive but it is, imo, worth the cost and it will last "forever".

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Thanks to all for responding. I guess I don't know the different between a juicer and a blender, and what I have is a cheap blender that doesn't liquify vegetables.
I guess I could have a protein/berry drink and a separate veg thing. So is that still that I need a juicer?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Juicers -extract- juice from "things that have juice in them" and leave most of the solid material behind to discard (or use in cooking for those who do that).

Blenders pulp and pulverize the entire food item, giving you a combination of juice and pulverized solids.

An example to help you visualize:

With a juicer, you cut a lemon in half. You put half the lemon into the juicer, and turn it on. It will extract the lemon juice, filter out the fiberous segment things, and leave the lemon rind and seeds intact at the top. The only thing in the bowl at the bottom, will be the juice, and some of the pulp.

With a blender, if you put that half of a lemon in the blender and turn it on, it will crush the pulp, the seeds, the rind, the fibrous segment things, and mix it all in with the juice, and you'll have a big lumpy bitter mess.

Blenders blend. They mix the contents of what's in them, together.

Juicers extract. They -remove- contents (the juice) and compartmentalize it away from the rest of the item.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Thanks for that info, Anon Chick. I hadn't known most of that.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss