Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,171 times

Advertisements

I 've had the Vitamix for over a year doing smoothies and decided to want to make juice also, so I tried different juicers and ended up with the Omega 8006 masticating. This is better for leafy greens. When I have avocados or bananas, I have to make smoothies since you cannot juice them. I'm not happy juicing mangos lately either so I will blend them. I juice or blend the green drink from Fat, Sick......etc. I do like blending to keep the fiber but enjoy quick energy without digesting from juicing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well, since juicing isn't necessary, and you can get all the nutrients AND the fiber AND the freshness from simply eating all those foods you're trying to put in the juicer...

why not just do that instead?
Right ON. I was thinking the very same thing. Replace most of those carbs with veggies and fruits. It's not that it's hard to do - it's that people don't WANT to do it!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Green juicing should not replace eating whole fruits and veggies - Vita-Mix processing (liquifying) breaks open the cell walls to release maximum nutrition from whole foods, more than you can get any other way. Many of the vitamins in fruits and vegetables are in the skin and seeds - when you are able to liquify the whole fruit or vegetable including skins and seeds, you get maximum nutrition because all is digestible (you can even liquify pineapple skin). Granted, this does break down the fiber to some degree so you still need to eat whole fruits and vegetables to get the benefit of insoluable fiber. Liquifying is just a way to incorporate the benefits of additional vegetables and fruits in your diet in a fast and flavorful way with maximum nutrition. Let's face it - most people do not eat enough vegetables and green smoothies are a tasty way to get plenty of veggies.

You don't need much fruit to make a green smoothie taste sweet - many leafy green vegetables are often quite sweet on their own - surprisingly so. Add a frozen small banana, 1/2 a cup of frozen or fresh blueberries, maybe 1/2 an apple and a whole lot of kale, spinach, chard, parley, beet greens, maybe a carrot too, a little almond milk or plain Greek yogurt (or water) - smoothies for 3 or 4 people. We use organic veggies.

We just ordered a Vitamix this week - we have so many health conscious friends who are long time Vitamix users - green smoothie advocates - our smoothie-using friends are all full of energy, very healthy, slim and trim people who drink 2 to 3 green smoothies a day (12 ounce smoothies).

Last edited by Cattknap; 08-30-2012 at 03:51 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Green juicing should not replace eating whole fruits and veggies - Vita-Mix processing (liquifying) breaks open the cell walls to release maximum nutrition from whole foods, more than you can get any other way. Many of the vitamins in fruits and vegetables are in the skin and seeds - when you are able to liquify the whole fruit or vegetable including skins and seeds, you get maximum nutrition because all is digestible (you can even liquify pineapple skin). Granted, this does break down the fiber to some degree so you still need to eat whole fruits and vegetables to get the benefit of insoluable fiber. Liquifying is just a way to incorporate the benefits of additional vegetables and fruits in your diet in a fast and flavorful way with maximum nutrition. Let's face it - most people do not eat enough vegetables and green smoothies are a tasty way to get plenty of veggies.

You don't need much fruit to make a green smoothie taste sweet - many leafy green vegetables are often quite sweet on their own - surprisingly so. Add a frozen small banana, 1/2 a cup of frozen or fresh blueberries, maybe 1/2 an apple and a whole lot of kale, spinach, chard, parley, beet greens, maybe a carrot too, a little almond milk or plain Greek yogurt (or water) - smoothies for 3 or 4 people. We use organic veggies.

We just ordered a Vitamix this week - we have so many health conscious friends who are long time Vitamix users - green smoothie advocates - our smoothie-using friends are all full of energy, very healthy, slim and trim people who drink 2 to 3 green smoothies a day (12 ounce smoothies).
Did you end up getting the Vitamix and if so, how do you like it? I am trying to figure out what to buy as well. I want to get full benefits of mixing all of this stuff together!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Yes - we bought the Vitamix and we love it - use it every single day....we drink a green smoothie (with fruit), hydrated chia seeds, sometimes hemp powder, sometimes plain Greek yogurt, a different green every day or two (always organic - kale, spinach, mustard greens, beet greens, collard greens baby bok choy, chard, mixed baby greens)...try to stick with the low-glycemic fruits as much as possible - kiwi, apples, berries - if we use a banana, we use 1/2 a banana (high glycemic fruit)...sometimes we add cucumbers, always one whole lemon cut in quarters and usually a hand full of cilantro or parsley.....once in a while some fresh ginger....we sweeten with some liquid vanilla flavored stevia.

We love the Vitamix....I also make soups in the Vitamix and grind nuts and grains for different flours/meals

Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 AM

108 posts, read 134,975 times
I have a Vitamix. I bought a refurbished one (5200 BPA-free carafe) and even that with tax was over $400! However, I don't have cable, iPhones, Internet service. It's amazing how those things add up in one year's time.

There is no comparison between a VM and a crappy blender. VM breaks down the plant's cell wall, which releases the nutrients from the insoluable fiber! So it's very good for nutrient delivery into your body. And why wouldn't you make raw soups and the like with it? It's good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss