Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,679 times

Advertisements

I would like to lose 50 pounds.
So far my plan is cutting out soda,most fast food and..
Exercise 3-4 days a week.Im hoping to hit my goal in 3 months.
There are big changes so im hoping for big results!
Is this doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
How much do you weigh now? 50 pounds is nearly impossible for 3 months unless you are morbidly obese and plan on really restricting your caloric intake and exercising like a mad man.
Realistically you should be aiming for 2 lbs a week. That is normal and SAFE amount to lose. You are looking at 6 to 8 months, which is not that long.
I do not get why people feel the need to get the weight off in a hurry. You did not gain 50 lbs in 3 months, why would it come off in 3 months?
A well thought out plan of action with realistic goals will give you the results you want. Pie in the sky expectations will almost always end in failure.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
That sounds pretty excessive. 30 pounds in 3 months is a lot more realistic, but shooting for 20-25 is even better. The slower it comes off, the more likely you are to keep it off.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
You're asking something that contradicts the thread title. You're asking if 50 pounds in 3 months is doable. I say - yes, it is.

Your thread title suggests you're seeking realistic expectations. I say, no, this is not a realistic expectation.

You CAN lose that much in that soon. It isn't a realistic goal, but if you starve yourself, take laxatives, have enemas, drink water only and consume copious amounts of vitamins and mineral supplements, then sure, you can lose that much. You might end up in a hospital, but hey - you'll be a slim, trim, patient waiting to die.

If you set a goal of 2 pounds per week, -that- would be a realistic expectation.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,844 times
I think even 2lbs per week is pretty tough to do over an extended period of time. There are some weeks when the body just doesn't want to give anything up!

I think getting too caught up in trying to lose x amount of weight in a set period of time can be a mistake. I think your other goals make more sense - for example, your goal this week is to not eat any fast food or drink any soda. That's a great goal and easily achievable! That also gives you something to build on - perhaps your next goal will be to go one week without any processed foods or alcohol or HFCS.

Then, at the end of 3 months, if you have lost 20lbs then that will be a great success - you will look and feel much better. Just keep doing the good habits you are building on and the other 30lbs will be gone before you know it!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Is this doable?
Well just cutting the soda and fast food will most likely give you an instant water weight loss in the first week. So that should be about 5-10 for most people. So that leaves you with we shall say 40 pounds of real weight to lose.
Ideally you want to shoot for about 8lbs a month for healthy weight loss. You will probably lose more than that if you are obese.

Use this for guidance to eat to lose and maintain your efforts:

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

You can track your exercise there.

I think you are off to a good start but you may not hit 50. The body likes to hit the pause button on loss every 25 lbs or so it seems for a lot of individuals. If that happens to you don't freak out. Its just your body adjusting and your loss will start again if you are doing things properly. Spark can help with that.

If you eat fast food and soda a lot you will see a change in your looks if you improve you diet. Look for that too. Usually it shows in the skin first.

I suggest if your goal is 50 just leave it at that. Deadlines are for paperwork, not dieting. The body is not like a mechanical machine. It sets its own timelines based on limitations and healthy habits. Just keep pushing forward with your healthy habits and you will meet your 50 lb goal. It just may not happen in 3 months.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM

20,940 posts, read 28,455,262 times
I have lost 47 lbs and it took me 1 year to loose 50 lbs in 3 months is un realistic and not healthy.I still have 25 more to go. 1-2 lbs per week weight loss is good.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:34 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Is this doable?
Yes, it is doable if you stick to a more stringent diet like I have for quite some time. This is probably the healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off.

1) Eliminate all wheat from diet. This is a GMO food and it is harder for many to lose weight when consuming a carbohydrate dense food that elevates blood sugar levels more than eating a candy bar or drinking a soda pop.
2) Restrict carbohydrate count and focus on eating healthy grains like rice, quinoa, organic corn, vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Three square meals/day.
3) Yes, increase the exercise.
4) READ ALL LABELS as wheat is in many processed foods.
5) Watch the weight come off and report back.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,995,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, it is doable if you stick to a more stringent diet like I have for quite some time. This is probably the healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off.

1) Eliminate all wheat from diet. This is a GMO food and it is harder for many to lose weight when consuming a carbohydrate dense food that elevates blood sugar levels more than eating a candy bar or drinking a soda pop.
2) Restrict carbohydrate count and focus on eating healthy grains like rice, quinoa, organic corn, vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Three square meals/day.
3) Yes, increase the exercise.
4) READ ALL LABELS as wheat is in many processed foods.
5) Watch the weight come off and report back.
I would just eliminate all processed foods. There is a lot more bad stuff in there than just wheat!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Heh yeah I'd say corn is a whole lot worse than wheat. Corn is starch, sugar, and -un-digestible fiber. So you consume some corn, and the only thing that sticks in your system is the starch and sugar. Everything else ends up in the toilet, often in recognizable form.

At least whole wheat has some useful nutritive value. And not all wheat is GMO food; that's just nonsense from the conspiracy crowd. Genetically modified food is available in ALL varieties, including every single thing GraniteStater recommends.

I rode a horse through a wheat field in Montana once, on vacation. There wasn't a Monsanto truck anywhere near it. It was winter wheat, and the field was maintained by a family who'd been reseeding with their own wild-grown seed hybrids since the early 1900's.

I'd trust that farm's wheat flour bread, over anyone's bag of corn meal.

Also, just because it's been genetically modified, doesn't mean it's bad for you. PEOPLE are genetically modified too; any time the human race shifts its physiology, it means they are genetically modifying themselves. It's called mutation. Some people have webbed feet. Some have an extra long tailbone. I know one girl who was born with gill slits behind her ears, but they closed up within a week of her birth. They're vestigial traces of ancestral mutations, and that makes them, by definition, genetic modification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss