Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM

181 posts, read 499,767 times

Advertisements

I have TWO bowls of cereal in the morning, with milk (obviously).

I usually have at least two full glasses of chocolate milk as well.

I was always told milk prevents you from shrinking in height, so ever since I drink it every oppurtunity.

Is this bad that I drink so much milk? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
I do not think it is bad as long as you are at a healthy weight. If you need to lose weight I would cut that in half at least.
You do not need to drink that much however to get the calcium benefits.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,496,000 times
I drink a lot of milk too. I go through not quite 3 gallons a week by myself. I drink milk on my cereal every morning, and as my beverage many meals as well.

On the downside, if the milk is even a little off, I notice it really quick. I've changed brands 3 times over the last few years, as one brand is having processing problems of some sort the the milk changes taste.

On the upside, my bone density is off the charts every time I go to the doctor.

The only other downside I can think of is that it may lead to stones. Kidneystones, gallbladder stones, etc. I think they are made of calcium, so I would assume that drinking a lot of milk could make you more likely to develop a stone. But that is my totally not-scientific guess. Just something you might look up.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM

155 posts, read 252,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
Do I Drink Too Much Milk?
Are you at a healthy weight right now?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM

181 posts, read 499,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient View Post
Are you at a healthy weight right now?
I'm 5'8 and around 140 pounds.

Either way I drink Skim milk, so I'm confused as to why milk is an obstacle to losing weight?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 AM

175 posts, read 847,105 times
MOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,254,749 times
I am a milk-drinker also. I don't sleep well at night, waking up from my stomach growling, so I drink it. It has helped me not to eat junk, so it helps me lose/maintain weight. I started this habit because I was concerned with bone density. Mine, too, is great.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:06 AM

289 posts, read 568,418 times
I always drink milk from cows who eat grass. If I bought it today, instead of having "Buy by June 15" on the jug, it would have "Use by May10." The taste is of such a different quality it's unbelievable. And the lowfat milk has two Weight Watcher points, not three. :-)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM

155 posts, read 252,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I'm 5'8 and around 140 pounds.

Either way I drink Skim milk, so I'm confused as to why milk is an obstacle to losing weight?
Milk is fine.
Alta Dena milk is the best.
Chocolate milk is a no no for anyone looking to lose weight though. Its not the milk, its the sugar that is bad.
Two bowls of cereal is also a no-no for anyone looking to lose weight.

So, swith to Alta Dena milk, stop the chocolate milk nonsense, and eat only one bowl of cereal. Do this along with a clean diet and intense exercise program and you should be good.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Alta Dena is a local dairy cooperative in California. They buy milk from farms and add condensed milk during the homogenization/pasteurization process. They claim none of the cows they get the milk from, was injected with rBST. Thing is though, they have no way of proving it. There exists no way to know, whether or not one cow on one of those farms, wasn't injected. The end product won't show any difference at all. Cows produce BGH naturally - it stands for Bovine Growth Hormone. Just like people produce HGH - Human Growth Hormone. BGH and rBST are chemically identical; there is absolutely, positively, zero difference in milk from a cow that produced it naturally, and milk from a cow that was injected with it.

And since Alta Dena gets its milk from thousands of cows on dozens of farms, all mixed into the same batches, there's no way of knowing if "this drop of milk" came from a cow that was injected, when "this drop" is part of "that batch" of 10,000 gallons of raw milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss