Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM

82 posts, read 224,331 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of the Medi Weightloss Clinics in the Triangle and I'm considering it... all the reviews I read seem fake (posted on the same days, and very "commercially")... just wondering if anyone's used them before and if you got results.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,426,651 times
A friend did a couple of yrs ago and looks and feels great - said there were dr's and nurses there (I think she had a heart condition) - no personal or other experience w/ it though (interestingly, we got an ad in today's paper about them too, we live in the northeast)

Old 05-13-2012, 07:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittnmouse View Post
There are a couple of the Medi Weightloss Clinics in the Triangle and I'm considering it... all the reviews I read seem fake (posted on the same days, and very "commercially")... just wondering if anyone's used them before and if you got results.
When you write "does it work?" what do you mean? Losing weight or keeping it off?
What is this outfit's track record for people keeping it off for more than a year?

How long have you been overweight?
How many different diets have you tried?
What's the most weight you've lost and kept off for one year?
If you put it back on, why did you put it back on?
If you start this new plan and loose weight, will you keep it off?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
the only reason it works is because you're eating 500 calories a day. Once you're done with, you gain it all and then some back. I"ve seen it happen over and over and over and over and over again.

find a healthier way

Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,990 times
I have been in the 290-300 lb range for many years. I am 6'4" tall. Tried all kinds of diets and nutritionists. In many cases the expert at some hospitals were overweight so I had no desire to listen to them. To make a long story short, I enrolled in Weight Watchers For Men online on January 8. Bought me a inexpensive WW scale at Wal-Mart. On January 8, 2012 I weighed 290 lb. Yesterday, May 13 I weighed 248 lbs. A loss of 42 lbs. in a little over 4 months. I enter everything I eat (everything!) online. It instantly gives me a point count. I have not been hungry one time. Eating regular food and eating out! Just making better choices and smaller portions. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Inexpensive diet plan that works. No meeting and do not have to purchase special meals. I am 74 years old and feel the best I have felt in 40+ years!
A very good doctor friend once told my father there was only one diet that works. "Every time you bend your elbow, close your mouth."
Good luck with whatever plan you decide on. But the main thing you will need is willpower. It took me 40+ years to get mine. Still a work in progress.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Oh man I just read the ingredients of the vanilla shake - that's just NASTY. At over $2 per 8-ounce shake, you'd be better off having a field greens salad with cracked pepper and parmasean cheese with a drizzle of oil and vinegar, and a 4 ounce cup of vanilla low-fat yogurt for dessert. It'd be around 5x as filling, cost less, and be MUCH more nutritious.

Then we have their daily multivitamin, which is a joke. Here's a summary:
D = the OLD RDA of 400 IU, which has been raised in the past years, and is no longer considered 100%.

B1 (thiamin) = 1333% (not a typo)
B2 (ribofalvin) = 1176% (not a typo)
B8 = 1250% (not a typo)
B12 = 1250% (not a typo)

Calcium, only 5% RDA. Iodine, 150mcg (100% RDA which means you shouldn't have ANY more iodine, which means no fish, no salt, added to ANY foods, for the rest of the day). Zinc = only 5%, potassium only 3% RDA (why?). And in this multivitamin, they advertise - brag, in fact, that it contains inositol to help brain function. Guess what kids - little druggie flashback: inositol is baby laxative used to cut cocaine.

All that for $28.75 for a 30-day supply. And that's just ONE pill you are supposed to take. There are several others, that you have to get from the clinic at the clinic's price, which they don't advertise on their website.

So just assume you'll be dishing out around $300 per month, for visits and pills and nasty chemical-rich sucralose-sweetened artificially-flavored filtered water (which means it's tap water).

And then you have to actually buy the food. Like how about this tasty-sounding salad dressing: water, vinegar, another vinegar, a third type of vinegar, sorbitol, cheese made with modified corn starch, mono and diglycerides, and a bunch of preservatives and artificial flavors. This can be yours for the low low price of $11.50 for 12 1-ounce cups. That's just under a buck per meal, JUST for the dressing. Woo!

Oh you can exercise with them too, buying a big rubber exercise loop for around $30.00 (the same type you can buy at Sports Authority for $9.99)

Do yourself a favor. Make an appointment with a nutritionist. Buy a 300-count supersized plastic bottle of childrens' chewable multivitamins and a 100-count bottle of Tums, regular strength chewables. Buy some Special K fiber bars on sale, $6.00 for 2 5-packs and expect to eat one every other day for a mid-day "I'm jonesing for carbs and chocolate and if I don't eat them now I will consume a hot fudge sundae with 5 scoops of ice cream at 8PM tonight" snack.

Maybe buy a yoga mat so you can do situps and planks in your living room, and roll it out of the way so you can do jumping jacks and jog in place as well.

You'll spend around $275 less per month, get better results, and be able to maintain your dignity because you didn't get suckered by slick advertising gimmicks.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
A very good doctor friend once told my father there was only one diet that works. "Every time you bend your elbow, close your mouth."
Good luck with whatever plan you decide on. But the main thing you will need is willpower. It took me 40+ years to get mine. Still a work in progress

Good for you, bluecomet. Keep up the good work and check back anytime you get a little discouraged.. You have a great attitude.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 23,316 times
I tried the lemon detox it did not work for me but I tried another thing I tried to watch my sugar intake switching drinks for water just a couple times a day and it has helped me but if you would like to know more on sugar you should check out this website I found [url]Http://www.detoxfromsugar.com[/url]

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
But the main thing you will need is willpower. It took me 40+ years to get mine. Still a work in progress.
I wouldn't consider it a success to use will power to achieve a goal.

All you're doing is trading one undesirable situation (overweight) for another (will power, deprivation).

Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
If by "deprivation" you mean "I can't eat a whole party-sized bag of ruffles while laying on the couch sucking down my third six-pack of beer today and watching General Hospital," then I guess that's deprivation for you.

For me, deprivation would be "no cheesecake for the next two years, or until I lose 30 pounds, whichever comes first." Thankfully, I don't have to deprive myself. I can have that cheesecake next week if I want! There's a limit though - I can only have one small piece of it. Thankfully, that's all I need to satisfy my cheesecake desires. So there's no deprivation at all.

Deprivation means not being able to have something that you want. Will power means being able to have what you want, BUT not stuffing yourself silly just because the food is there, and knowing when to say "I've had enough of this food, it's time to put the fork down."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss