Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM

662 posts, read 313,088 times

Advertisements

Caffeine is an addictive drug. I can't imagine science ever allowing people addicted to cocaine, marijuana, opiates, or other addictive drugs that come from plants to conduct studies on their drug of choice. But in the case of caffeine, most of the research is done by caffeine consumers which honest science would dismiss due to potential bias issues. Not to mention the coffee industry funds most of the studies.

My take? If you can't start your day without caffeine, regardless of source, you are physically and psychologically addicted to it. While some people may do just fine on it, I don't consider being addicted to a substance that causes a physiological stress response to be healthy.

It took me years to finally stop listening to the caffeine pushing industries convincing me to go back to my caffeine addiction for some BS health benefit being touted by their latest paid for studies. Once I stopped the addiction, I can say that I feel much better without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Caffeine is an addictive drug. I can't imagine science ever allowing people addicted to cocaine, marijuana, opiates, or other addictive drugs that come from plants to conduct studies on their drug of choice. But in the case of caffeine, most of the research is done by caffeine consumers which honest science would dismiss due to potential bias issues. Not to mention the coffee industry funds most of the studies.

My take? If you can't start your day without caffeine, regardless of source, you are physically and psychologically addicted to it. While some people may do just fine on it, I don't consider being addicted to a substance that causes a physiological stress response to be healthy.

It took me years to finally stop listening to the caffeine pushing industries convincing me to go back to my caffeine addiction for some BS health benefit being touted by their latest paid for studies. Once I stopped the addiction, I can say that I feel much better without it.
Your take is flawed.

I started suffering from migraines when I hit puberty - around 12 years old. I was a soda drinker, but certainly not addicted; I'd have one glass with supper, and during summer camp I'd have one can on hot days (we were only allowed to visit the soda machine a few times weekly). I didn't have my first cup of coffee til I was around 25 years old. By that time I had also started experiencing blood-sugar drops whenever I got hungry. If I didn't get either some sugar or starch down my throat within 10 minutes of noticing my stomach rumble, I'd get a headache - and that headache would -always- become a migraine, that would sometimes last three days.

I noticed that when I had a cup of coffee in the morning, any migraine headache I might have that day, wouldn't start til after lunchtime. Previously, if it was "that time" of the month, I'd get a migraine the morning before.

So my morning routine is: get out of bed, go to the bathroom, get dressed, and get my cup of coffee. If I wake up late, I get the coffee before I get dressed. I -rarely- drink a second cup any time during the day. Addicted? Nope. Dependent? Sure. But hey if that's what keeps me from getting a migraine, and keeps my blood sugar at a safe level after I roll out of bed in the morning, then I don't mind being dependent on a single morning cup of coffee. It's either that or prescription meds with a myriad of potentially dangerous side effects.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 PM

662 posts, read 313,088 times
Okay, addicted OR dependent.

Addictions and dependencies aren't automatically good or bad. Cultures in South America have chewed the leaves of the coca plan for ages now. Used in its very mild plant form is really no big deal for them and probably does very little if any harm in most cases.

If coffee has an effect on your headaches that keep you from using other drugs, that is good. It does cause vasoconstriction in certain parts of the brain, which is why it is included in some OTC headache pills like excedrin.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMartin100 View Post
Coffee is good for health and it is good to drink coffee daily. It burns extra fat and calories from body and also provides us freshness to our body and mind. It is good to drink coffee everyday specially in the morning because it has many health benefits.
You're talking about the post-morning-coffee five pounds that I ritualistically sit down and shed each morning while reading the morning headlines on my smart phone.

Rock on! Best part of the day right there.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,863 times
I drink two cups of coffee in the morning. It gives me the energy I need for the day. Sometimes I add a splash of Almond Milk to it. I am not a fan of sugary coffee concoctions.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM

34 posts, read 32,383 times
Its very hot, not good for people who gets acne.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM

34 posts, read 32,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I drink two cups of coffee in the morning. It gives me the energy I need for the day. Sometimes I add a splash of Almond Milk to it. I am not a fan of sugary coffee concoctions.
You're correct. But it may come as addiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss