Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,565 times

Advertisements

The thing about the surgery is it forces a life long change in your eating habits. Right now I've been depression and stress eating a lot of crap, something I simply won't be able to do post-surgery. The procedure removes my ability to binge by virtue of being unable to do so without discomfort.

The aother benefit to the VSG is the removal of the portion of the stomach that releases the hunger hormone, Ghrelin. so cravings and appetite will be reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
The thing about the surgery is it forces a life long change in your eating habits. Right now I've been depression and stress eating a lot of crap, something I simply won't be able to do post-surgery. The procedure removes my ability to binge by virtue of being unable to do so without discomfort.

The aother benefit to the VSG is the removal of the portion of the stomach that releases the hunger hormone, Ghrelin. so cravings and appetite will be reduced.
I don't know how different VSG is over gastric bypass surgery, but I know 2 people that had Gastric Bypass and now are heavier than they were when they were first having the surgery.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I don't know how different VSG is over gastric bypass surgery, but I know 2 people that had Gastric Bypass and now are heavier than they were when they were first having the surgery.
Weight loss following surgery requires a life long commitment to losing weight. It is not, as some people say, the "easy way out." You can sabotage the surgery if you decide you want to, something I find very stupid given the pain and expense involved.

Functionally speaking, the two surgeries are vastly different. The VSG removes all but a tiny portion of the stomach. Post op I'll be left with something the size of a walnut that will eventually expand to hold about the equivalent of 3/4 to 1 cup of food. There's no alteration of the intestinal tract at all. The GI tract remains contiguous from mouth to rectum.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Ditto. Probably not the same two people either

I also would like to know the difference in the results years later. I've spoken to my dr about lap band and he just shakes his head and says 'Everyone I know gains all the weight back and more.' But that can't be EVERYONE right?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
It is not, as some people say, the "easy way out."
It sure is the easy way. I don't know why everyone who is 50+ pounds overweight AND has been battling their weight for years doesn't get the VSG. It IS the easy way out. It works. Long term. It's a no brainer, slam dunk.

Very few if any people who have undergone the VSG regret it and almost all wished they would have been able to have done so a long time ago (but it's only been out a few years so they couldn't have.)

Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Quote:

You can make a life long change in your eating habits without the surgery, programs, pills or other fad diet crap and it is a lot cheaper and much less painful.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,836 times
I had the gastric sleeve nearly 4 months ago. Down 65 lbs and no complications at all. My insurance covered all but $1350. I stayed in the hospital two nights. I don't eat much but am never hungry. It is hard to fit in liquids and protein when everything has to be spread out. Best thing I have ever done.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can make a life long change in your eating habits without the surgery, programs, pills or other fad diet crap and it is a lot cheaper and much less painful.

You forgot to mention that for 95% of people the success rate is 0.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmick73 View Post
I had the gastric sleeve nearly 4 months ago. Down 65 lbs and no complications at all. My insurance covered all but $1350. I stayed in the hospital two nights. I don't eat much but am never hungry. It is hard to fit in liquids and protein when everything has to be spread out. Best thing I have ever done.
This is consistent with everything I have read and with my two friends' experiences. It really is the closest thing to a silver bullet out there now. It's not perfect (it isn't cheap) but it does work for just about everybody.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Weight loss following surgery requires a life long commitment to losing weight. It is not, as some people say, the "easy way out." You can sabotage the surgery if you decide you want to, something I find very stupid given the pain and expense involved.

Functionally speaking, the two surgeries are vastly different. The VSG removes all but a tiny portion of the stomach. Post op I'll be left with something the size of a walnut that will eventually expand to hold about the equivalent of 3/4 to 1 cup of food. There's no alteration of the intestinal tract at all. The GI tract remains contiguous from mouth to rectum.
If someone is serious about making a lifelong commitment to losing weight, they wouldn't have gotten that obese in the first place.

Gastric bypass, and other surgical methods of restricting dietary intake, are a last-ditch effort for someone whose "lifelong commitment to losing weight" wasn't all that good to begin with. That is why some people who have it, end up in even worse shape than before they had the surgery, after a few years.

My mom has a friend who had it, and she ended up stretching her stomach back to its previous size, however because there was less of it, it was stretched thin. And as a result, some of it started to tear, and so now she has a haital hernia, and had to have some OTHER kind of surgery to repair the rip, but it didn't stop her from overindulging in breads and pastas and creamy sauces and sugary desserts, and so now she not only has a hole in her stomach that the mesh won't repair properly, she is also now diabetic, and the weight has put pressure on her knees so she is now in a wheelchair and probably will be for the rest of what's left of her significantly shortened life.

And she STILL won't stop eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss