Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:24 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I can also tell you without a doubt that I struggled with my weight for 25 years and still did NOT have surgery because I personally all by myself changed my entire lifestyle and I personally all by myself from start to finish lost a total of 500 pounds. It took 12 years total but not one pound of that weight has been gained back in 7 years.

So you can sit there with the blanket and your orifice filled with your behind and go ahead and have the surgery without looking for a different last resort.
Good for you mate, I'm glad your anecdote applies to the whole of the world. Must be awesome to be you. Now push off and take your smug superiority with you. You aren't better than anyone because you didn't have surgery.

Last edited by Wynternight; 10-06-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 AM

232 posts, read 251,103 times
Quote:
I can also tell you without a doubt that I struggled with my weight for 25 years and still did NOT have surgery because I personally all by myself changed my entire lifestyle and I personally all by myself from start to finish lost a total of 500 pounds. It took 12 years total but not one pound of that weight has been gained back in 7 years.

So you can sit there with the blanket and your orifice filled with your behind and go ahead and have the surgery without looking for a different last resort.
Good for you CSD for being very successful and very rare in this world. That is truly amazing. Do you know how rare it is for someone who is morbidly obese to lose over a hundred pounds or more and keep it off for more than a few years? The statistics are about 3-5% of the population only who started off morbidly obese keep it off long term. With surgery, those odds are a lot higher to keep the weight off. Yes, there will be some mild weight regain and even some who gain it all back. But I'd rather have the odds stacked hugely in my favor. That is why I chose surgery. I wanted all the odds in my favor for once in my life. I didn't want to pray I was "rare". This surgery has changed my life and gotten my diabetes to normal numbers. Yes, I eat much healthier than I did before surgery. I also have far less hunger than before surgery because they removed much of the grehlin hormone. I needed the reduced hunger and the smaller stomach. If you can keep off hundreds of pounds without surgery for more than a few years, you are awesome and rare. I am totally honest with myself and knew I needed some surgical help. People get help for their health issues all the time. Why is surgery so different? Does a morbidly obese person need to justify surgery to random strangers? If so, why? It's no one's business but theirs. You don't see me running around telling people that I want to get my uterus taken out because I'm done having kids. Is that wrong too? Would you tell me that having my uterus taken out is the "easy way out" and I should just never have intercourse with my husband again or use condoms because having surgery is too crazy. If I had a heart condition, I would get surgery too to make my life better. IS that wrong too? What is it about fat people getting surgery that just angers everyone? It's fat prejudice in my opinion for most people. Surgery is just a treatment for obesity, that is all it is. Some people use the treatment well and some do not. I am almost 2 years post op and successfully keeping off all of my excess weight thanks to less hunger and a smaller stomach and I am glad I utilized this tool to help me out. My diabetes is in remission. I do eat a lot healthier also. I am very thankful this option was available and I'm sure many others out there will be. Your friend needs serious help before he gains his weight back. I truly hope someone cares enough to tell him to seek counseling to find out why he is eating around his surgery.
Best wishes to you. I am not ashamed to admit I needed surgical help to manage my obesity.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
The percent of people who are successful at keeping the weight off after gastric bypass is about 40%. That's 35% more chance of success that those who do not have surgery. Not a guarantee of success by any means, but certainly gives the people who choose the surgical option a leg up. On the other hand, the possible downsides to surgery (dumping syndrome, vomiting, diarrhea, hernias etc) experienced by 40% of patients makes the extra chance of success less appealing to many.

There is no right or wrong answer. I just hope people are making informed decisions and that doctors are being frank and honest when informing potential patients about the rewards and risks of this surgery.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,187 times
I do appreciate everyone's opinions. I have researched weight loss surgery forover8 years while trying to loose weight on my own for all of my adult life. Unfortunately I have failed so many times over again. I wonder y unc4me is even on this sight. I thought it was people who have had or are wanting more info on the gastric sleeve. If u are able to loose weight on your own, congrats that is awesome! But to come on a site like this and down people who have had or are going to have surgery is very rude! Plz find your own site and stop trying to put people down because there decisions are different than yours. Maybe it makes you feel better to judge others but it actually makes u look like a jerk. I hope that I have not overstepped my welcome to this forum since I am new, but had to put my. 2 cents in. Ty

Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,643 times
I seem to be the different bariatric surgery patient. I didn't even need bariatric surgery, but on Sept. 30 I had Roux-en-y gastric bypass to remove 95% of my stomach due to stomach cancer. And to complicate matters, I have a heart condition too. Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to go through any counseling or learning sessions so I feel like I'm out in left field and don't know a lot. The bariatric department gave me a notebook but wow it's not the same as sitting in a room with people and asking questions.

They didn't even tell me to take vitamins and from reading the comments here, I think I should be on those. I'm taking protein but hate it.....ick! So I guess I need to find protein which I can tolerate the taste. I have aspartame allergies so I'm having to search for other sugar free drinks and popsicles. I have been drinking a lot of salt/sodium free broth to compensate as well as water and decaf coffee and tea and am getting in more than the 64 oz they told me I had to do.

I go to the surgeon on October 15 so maybe I will learn more.

If anyone can recommend a great tasting protein I would certainly appreciate that. I'm losing weight fast ..... since having the surgery, 24 pounds. I just don't want to become a toothpick with no energy. Yikes!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I seem to be the different bariatric surgery patient. I didn't even need bariatric surgery, but on Sept. 30 I had Roux-en-y gastric bypass to remove 95% of my stomach due to stomach cancer. And to complicate matters, I have a heart condition too. Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to go through any counseling or learning sessions so I feel like I'm out in left field and don't know a lot. The bariatric department gave me a notebook but wow it's not the same as sitting in a room with people and asking questions.

They didn't even tell me to take vitamins and from reading the comments here, I think I should be on those. I'm taking protein but hate it.....ick! So I guess I need to find protein which I can tolerate the taste. I have aspartame allergies so I'm having to search for other sugar free drinks and popsicles. I have been drinking a lot of salt/sodium free broth to compensate as well as water and decaf coffee and tea and am getting in more than the 64 oz they told me I had to do.

If anyone can recommend a great tasting protein I would certainly appreciate that. I'm losing weight fast ..... since having the surgery, 24 pounds. I just don't want to become a toothpick with no energy. Yikes!
I hear you on the gross protein part!! The ONLY protein supplement I can stomach is Premier Protein chocolate drinks at Costco. A huge box is $25, I think there are 20 or 25 drinks in there...

I don't know if it has artificial sugar or not. Sorry!

Good luck with everything

Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,565 times
Quote:

Premiere Protein from Premiere Nutrition. The chocolate shakes are the best. You can order them from their website, Walmart.com, drugstore.com. or buy them by the case at Costco.

If you look at their site they have all sorts of suggestions for different smoothies and additives for the shakes and some are really good.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Quote:

There are people that are able to change their lifestyles and make it work and lose a lot of weight, and there are people that really struggle with that, or lose a lot of weight and then gain it back. It is not black and white, some people can stick firmly to a diet and exercise on a regualr basis and there are people that can't. There are also people that diet and work very hard and lose no weight or very little. It is very easy to give up and get discouraged when you diet for months on end and barely lose any weight.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,187 times
Default Chike

Quote:

I have only tried Chike so far. You can find it on the Internet and is cheaper than at my dr.s office. I blend my with milk but its ok with water. I have tried Ll the flavors except orange and they are very creamy and rich. The banana is my favorite, tastes like banana leafy taffy.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Make sure you drink 100% whey protein isolate, not just any protein shake. I use Dymatize and it is 100% whey protein isolate with 24 grams of protein, 1 carb, 0 lactose and 0 fat, 0 sugar. I like the Gourmet Chocolate and buy it in the largest size container so it lasts longer and ends up costing less. I drink one shake a day and the tub ends up last me about a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss