Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:22 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmick73 View Post
I had the gastric sleeve nearly 4 months ago. Down 65 lbs and no complications at all. My insurance covered all but $1350. I stayed in the hospital two nights. I don't eat much but am never hungry. It is hard to fit in liquids and protein when everything has to be spread out. Best thing I have ever done.
Congradulations MickMick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 AM

232 posts, read 251,103 times
I had the VSG in February. I'm almost down to my ideal weight. It's a very effective tool if used properly. I got it in the hopes I could manage my diabetes better. I eat the high protein diet that is recommended for diabetics and post op VSG'ers and probably will for the rest of my life. The difference with this surgery is you can eat a little amount and be satisfied. Without the surgery--it would take a lot more to make me satisfied. I was willing to make the lifestyle change necessary of course. If I would have kept my regular stomach--sure I'd be eating a high protein diet anyway--but I'd still be eating too much food. I needed the internal portion control and the satisfaction that came with it.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missladytexas View Post
It's a very effective tool if used properly.
How much easier is it to keep weight off with the VSG compared to conventional practice of will power, choices, portion control, etc?

How much likelier are you to keep the weight off long term (say two years) compared to conventional means (which has about a 5% success rate)?

Why don't you overeat using the VSG?

Is it possible to eat an entire Big Mac (or equivalent) for lunch?

3.4 years out VSG I am still under my goal - YouTube

4 years after the Gastric Sleeve (VSG) - YouTube

3 year follow-up after having Gastric Sleeve (VSG) Surgery - YouTube

5 Year Post Op VSG Gastric Sleeve Follow-up - YouTube

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM

232 posts, read 251,103 times
[quote=Charles;26630522]How much easier is it to keep weight off with the VSG compared to conventional practice of will power, choices, portion control, etc?

How much likelier are you to keep the weight off long term (say two years) compared to conventional means (which has about a 5% success rate)?

Why don't you overeat using the VSG?

Is it possible to eat an entire Big Mac (or equivalent) for lunch?

You're absolutely right! I would probably gain a lot of my weight back without the "internal portion control". My hunger is much less too. I agree with you Charles. I can't recommend this surgery enough for someone who has struggled all their lives. :-)

Last edited by missladytexas; 10-23-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM

What are the differences and advantages of having the sleeve over gastric bypass?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
What are the differences and advantages of having the sleeve over gastric bypass?
Compare Surgical Weight Loss Options - REALIZE®

Gastric Sleeve vs. Gastric Bypass | Chosing between Weight Loss Surgeries is Easy with our Side by Side Consumer Guide.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayreynolds333 View Post
I've recent just undergone the procedure myself and I've experience rapid weight loss in a very short amount of time. While it is true that I can not eat certain foods anymore, I am more than fine with adjusting what I eat to accommodate my new lifestyle.
I have also started eating mostly all organic foods which is supposed to help your body with the healing process. Has anyone tried an all organic diet after surgery? Over-all the best piece of advice I can give is to stick to your gastric sleeve diet and watch the weight just melt off of you.

Jay has undergone gastric bypass surgery and is an occasional guest blogger on sites like Gastric Sleeve Diet, where he likes to share his experiences and give some tips to others on how to recover from surgery.
I suspect your post is intended to advertise so I reported it to the moderator. Hopefully they will simply delete your last paragraph. However, I do think VSG is a very good solution for those who are chronically obese. Also, "Stick to your gastric sleeve diet..." is pretty much a given. You won't have much choice. Just try eating too much or too fast. Willpower is unnecessary.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM

They don't want you to, but you can still eat fast with GS, but you cannot each too much. You do not have the dumping syndrome with GS like you have with Gastric Bypass.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You forgot to mention that for 95% of people the success rate is 0.
Charles you are very smart and correct!! I agree w/ your 2 posts.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:13 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,274 times
My husband had the Gastric Sleeve surgery in January and has lost 72 lbs. I honestly don't believe he could have done this without the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss