Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

3 pound curls?
We're talking curls here.

I think A LOT of exercises can be done with body weight only with great efficacy. With 3 pounds, you might as well just curl your fist over and over.

Look, I'm not trying to be jerky about this. I think if you have to start with a lower weight just to understand the motion and form, then that's a good thing...focus on doing it right. But let's not pretend that anyone's heart rate is going up with a 3 pound curl. And if you're that out of shape, there are other things you should be focusing on doing first (instead of isolated small muscle group exercises).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm sorry...even in middle school, 10 pounds was too light for this woman. 5'6" and 120 pounds at the end of high school.

3 years ago, I was bench pressing 240 pounds.

10 pounds? You lift that every single day without thinking about it.

And who is saying anything about form? Form is paramount.

I just think people psych themselves out. Five pounds? Seriously? I just gave my baby son a five pound dumbbell to play with the other day while I was doing something in our home gym...he's EIGHT MONTHS OLD. No uninjured human adult needs to start with 5 pounds.
It depends on the individual. There are lots of older women, out of shape women, petite women who simply cannot start out with 10 lbs. And why should they? They need to lift what they can, they will get stronger as they go. Your reasoning is extremely faulty if not downright dangerous. How can you have good form if the weight you are lifting is too heavy for you?
I have worked with PT's and again, they will be the first to tell you to start small and go from there. Please do not keep posting this misinformation.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
It depends on the individual. There are lots of older women, out of shape women, petite women who simply cannot start out with 10 lbs. And why should they? They need to lift what they can, they will get stronger as they go. Your reasoning is extremely faulty if not downright dangerous. How can you have good form if the weight you are lifting is too heavy for you?
I have worked with PT's and again, they will be the first to tell you to start small and go from there. Please do not keep posting this misinformation.
I have worked with a lot of PTs as well (including the one that comes and spends an hour a day 4-5 times a week at my house) and their number one complaint is that people psych themselves out far too often. It makes their job a lot harder when they have to convince you that yes, you can do something. It's their job to understand and work within your limits.

I am not arguing that good form and safety is the number one priority. I would never argue that. I am arguing the notion that there is this vast population of healthy adults who get any kind of a workout from a 3 or 5 pound dumbbell curl.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I gave the opposite problem. PT tend to start me with very low weights and frankly it is too easy. I have done sessions here and there and found that many PTs don't want to give women heavier weights.

I can leg press 200# and chest press 50#. I can handle a minute straight of planks. I don't need to start with 10# bench presses. My suitcase weighs 40#.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM

I think a lot of PTs are more guilty of not paying enough attention to actually challenge their clients then overburdening them with too much weight.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,394 times
Thanks all for the responses I don't doubt that there are those that do "gain" easily when lifting. I just can't understand why some people would discourage it. I feel like I can do anything after I lift. The only problem I noticed is trying to find a spot to work because the guys are crowding the area.

I also agree that when lifting to start small. The amount you lift should not sacrifice good form and posture. I've seen people brag about how much they lift but compromise good form for it. Not to mention have fun!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think a lot of PTs are more guilty of not paying enough attention to actually challenge their clients then overburdening them with too much weight.
I agree there are a lot of not so great PT's out there. Before they even start with a client they need to know the goals and the client needs to know what to expect. I have been very fortunate with the PT's at my gym. They listen, they educate and they challenge. I have them to thank for my ongoing success. Every six months or so I will hire one to give me new stuff and it always kicks my butt.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 PM

104 posts, read 175,116 times
I would like to see one of these weightlifters do a Zumba class. Talk about being "scared."

Old 09-02-2012, 03:51 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I would like to see one of these weightlifters do a Zumba class. Talk about being "scared."

I don't know exactly who you are referring to, but it is a myth that people who lift weights ignore cardio. I do some form of cardio five times a week. I may PREFER weights, but cardio is just as important.

I suggest you look at the Powerful Women training logs on t-muscle.com. These women put emphasis on both cardio and weights.

Scared of zumba? Hardly.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,894 times
Weight lifting is unnatural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss