Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Weight lifting is unnatural.
Yeah, because cavemen didn't lift their dinner to the cave at suppertime.
And agricultural man didn't lift tools to plow the soil.
And industrial man didn't lift planks and hammers to build structures.
And bowlers don't lift bowling balls.

Driving a car isn't natural. Being on a computer isn't natural. Indoor plumbing isn't natural. In fact, indoor anything isn't natural, unless you're dealing with a naturally-hollowed-out tree or a cave, or a hole in the ground that showed up one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Weight lifting is unnatural.
Say what?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have worked with a lot of PTs as well (including the one that comes and spends an hour a day 4-5 times a week at my house) and their number one complaint is that people psych themselves out far too often. It makes their job a lot harder when they have to convince you that yes, you can do something. It's their job to understand and work within your limits.

I am not arguing that good form and safety is the number one priority. I would never argue that. I am arguing the notion that there is this vast population of healthy adults who get any kind of a workout from a 3 or 5 pound dumbbell curl.
You need somebody to come to your house 4-5 times a week to get you motivated to work out the "better" way?

Here is my success story so far and I did it all by myself. Woman age 49, weight 120. I walk on the beach several times a week and never felt like a weak invalid, but I wanted more upper body strength. My husband goes to Golds so I decided to join him. At first I did many of the machines with ZERO weight. I did not have much upper body strength and that was all I could do without feeling too strained. The only advice I got was from my husband who simply said go slow and focus on form. It's been almost two months and now I am up to 30-35 pounds on the upper body machines and I'm actually getting some nice definition in my arms.

Had somebody told me their eight month old could do more weight than me I probably would have felt crappy and discouraged, so yes, I think you are being "jerky" about this, and your comments don't benefit anyone who may be thinking of starting out for the first time.

Anonchick was right on with her advice.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
You need somebody to come to your house 4-5 times a week to get you motivated to work out the "better" way?

Had somebody told me their eight month old could do more weight than me I probably would have felt crappy and discouraged, so yes, I think you are being "jerky" about this, and your comments don't benefit anyone who may be thinking of starting out for the first time.

Saying stuff you don't want to hear doesn't make me a jerk.
And I love how you people conveniently skipped the part where I said that form is always the most important thing.

And yeah...he comes 4 times a week because when you actually lift a lot of weight, it's nice (and SAFER) to have someone spot you. It's also more fun and I get more out of my workout. I work a crazy schedule (no week is the same), and it's nice to have someone who can be there on my weird, changing schedule - no friend could meet me at the gym regularly, some gyms aren't even open, etc.

I guess the idea of being challenged or pushed is also scary for some people.

On that note, I'm headed for the shower. He'll be here in 30 minutes and I have to get my sprints done before he does.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I would like to see one of these weightlifters do a Zumba class. Talk about being "scared."
Its not just weightlifters no matter the fitness level there were some people that were "scared" because they worry about not having any rhythm or coordination. At least that was my experience when I took the class.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,416 times
Quote:
Saying stuff you don't want to hear doesn't make me a jerk.
And I love how you people conveniently skipped the part where I said that form is always the most important thing.

And yeah...he comes 4 times a week because when you actually lift a lot of weight, it's nice (and SAFER) to have someone spot you. It's also more fun and I get more out of my workout. I work a crazy schedule (no week is the same), and it's nice to have someone who can be there on my weird, changing schedule - no friend could meet me at the gym regularly, some gyms aren't even open, etc.

I guess the idea of being challenged or pushed is also scary for some people.

On that note, I'm headed for the shower. He'll be here in 30 minutes and I have to get my sprints done before he does.
LOL You still don't get it but that's okay. Have a good work out. And for the rest of you scared slackers, it really is okay to start with nothing and work your way up, you will get results and more motivation with each baby step, and have fun doing it.... and get some nice toned muscles. I am living proof it works

Old 09-14-2012, 08:12 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,300,918 times
You don't need weights. Bodyweight training is the way to go. You just have to make it progressively harder.

IE, 2 arm pull ups, to 1 arm pull ups.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
LOL You still don't get it but that's okay. Have a good work out. And for the rest of you scared slackers, it really is okay to start with nothing and work your way up, you will get results and more motivation with each baby step, and have fun doing it.... and get some nice toned muscles. I am living proof it works
The irony here being that I have gotten several women (including two exes and my wife) into weight-lifting, so clearly, I am not discouraging to newbies.

Btw,
Ex 1 5'2", 110 pounds
Ex 2 5'6" 130 pounds
Wife 5'9" 145 pounds
Friend from med school 5'4" 120 pounds

Not one of them had to start with 5 pound dumbbell curls...huh. I must just hang out with superhuman freaks or something.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Quote:
3 pound curls?
We're talking curls here.

I think A LOT of exercises can be done with body weight only with great efficacy. With 3 pounds, you might as well just curl your fist over and over.

Look, I'm not trying to be jerky about this. I think if you have to start with a lower weight just to understand the motion and form, then that's a good thing...focus on doing it right. But let's not pretend that anyone's heart rate is going up with a 3 pound curl. And if you're that out of shape, there are other things you should be focusing on doing first (instead of isolated small muscle group exercises).

I agree.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 AM

1 posts, read 724 times
Weight is no doubt a serious problem for male and female both.It discusses all around us.Some times we are also part of it.Overweight or gaining weight are both problems.There are lots of ideas and suggestion for losing or gaining weight.But the main thing is we can't deny this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss