Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty lean, healthy person. I exercise as many as 10 times a week and eat a pretty good diet of lean protien and vegetables. I have low blood pressure and a low resting heart rate. However, I have been tracking my diet really closely lately. I have noticed that I eat twice to three times the amount of sodium I'm supposed to eat daily. Can any one tell me what exactly is the problem with this? If I have low blood pressure, I'm good .. right? Or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Can any one tell me what exactly is the problem with this?
What did your doctor say after he analyzed your blood test data?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What did your doctor say after he analyzed your blood test data?
The last regular check up I got was about two years ago. I honestly don't remember any feedback on my blood tests. Everytime I get my blood pressure taken, though, the nurse or doctor will comment on how ridiculously low my blood pressure is .. which I attribute to genetics and a rigorous exercise regimen. Should I get some blood work done?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
I also have crazy low blood pressure. Sometimes too low in fact. My doctor has actually recommended to eat more salt. I think you're fine.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
The last regular check up I got was about two years ago. I honestly don't remember any feedback on my blood tests. Everytime I get my blood pressure taken, though, the nurse or doctor will comment on how ridiculously low my blood pressure is .. which I attribute to genetics and a rigorous exercise regimen. Should I get some blood work done?
Probably since it has been over two years; since that is just good practice anyway to check cholesterol levels and other things.

Quote:
I'm a ... healthy person.

How do you know?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Probably since it has been over two years; since that is just good practice anyway to check cholesterol levels and other things.

How do you know?
I'm not sure I'm in perfect health or anything, but I eat a very healthy diet and exercise (cardio and weights) more than once a day. I feel pretty good. I think I'm in great health.... maybe not. The only thing I noticed that I'm doing wrong health-wise is eating a high sodium diet. (I never realized I did this until I started tracking what I ate meticulously.)

Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
Besides high blood pressure and its associated disorders, high sodium intake is associated with water retention, circulatory disorders, cardiac enlargement, and impaired kidney function (or exacerbating renal disease).

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I've read in various health articles that only 30% of us are "salt sensitive." If you have high blood pressure (which the OP does not), we're all told to cut back on sodium...but that helps only 30%--problem is, we don't know which of us with HBP are among that 30%...

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I'm in perfect health or anything, but I eat a very healthy diet and exercise (cardio and weights) more than once a day. I feel pretty good. I think I'm in great health.... maybe not. The only thing I noticed that I'm doing wrong health-wise is eating a high sodium diet. (I never realized I did this until I started tracking what I ate meticulously.)
Its great that you have a healthy lifestyle & feel great. Still, I would highly recommend that you visit your physician & get the bloodwork done once or twice a year for "preventive" care. My family wouldn't go to the doctor until they were sick so even I got into the habit of avoiding frequent doctor visits. But I started going recently & found some things that are an indicator of conditions that might develop later on. For example, I recently found out that I have high intra-ocular pressure of eyes & there are no symptoms for that. I have been making changes to my lifestyle to reduce this pressure which might become an issue if it goes too high. Go to your physciain, eye doctor & dentist atleast once a year to get a thorough checkup. Some developing conditions do not have any symptoms so prevention is better than cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss