Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't think this is the exception at all. Are you really saying it's better to go home and sit on the couch than to work out, because if you work out you'll be hungrier? You're also assuming that hunger is the only reason people eat. People go home and eat because they're bored, because it tastes good, out of habit, whatever.
No, I am not saying that. (Why would you ask?)

Yes, people eat for other reasons and they would eat for those reasons whether or not they worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No, I am not saying that. (Why would you ask?)

Yes, people eat for other reasons and they would eat for those reasons whether or not they worked out.
and these are the problems that need to be taking care instead of a quick workout fix. I spent most of my 20s in the gym over fatiguing myself, and now I learning why I eat for other reasons.

I tend now to lose more weight just by addressing these problems instead of a quick workout. At one point I was running 4 miles a day and still gained 10lbs.

I rather do this than over fatigue myself with working out as I do not enjoy it any more unless is it is a light walk, dance, sports or hike challenge not the traditional gym. I despite it now.

Also I live do not have a car so I am technically exercising everyday.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
At one point I was running 4 miles a day and still gained 10lbs.
Makes sense. Go to the gym. See that chick or dude over there on the elliptical or weight bench? She isn't any thinner now than she was a year ago even though she's been working out five times a week for 40 minutes burning 500 calories. If she suddenly stopped, does anyone seriously think she would gain a whole bunch of weight? Same question for the thin dude or chick. Doesn't make that much difference - they aren't all of a sudden going to gain weight if they stopped working out. They'd eat less because they'd be less hungry.

Working out has very little to do with losing weight. It's a myth.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times
Quote:
Makes sense. Go to the gym. See that chick or dude over there on the elliptical or weight bench? She isn't any thinner now than she was a year ago even though she's been working out five times a week for 40 minutes burning 500 calories. If she suddenly stopped, does anyone seriously think she would gain a whole bunch of weight? Same question for the thin dude or chick. Doesn't make that much difference - they aren't all of a sudden going to gain weight if they stopped working out. They'd eat less because they'd be less hungry.

They might actually if they were working out to burn all "bad foods". If you do not eat right or pig out, you will gain weight whether you exercise or not, but you might look fitter. My case and point of gaining 10 pounds but running for an hour to hour and a half and burning 750-900 calories as I am taller.

I am going to have to agree with you here on this. Everytime I lived in Michigan, I was thinner never did the traditional workout and drove everywhere. I lose more weight when I am in a driving area as oppose to living in Chicago where I guarantee always gain 20-30lbs but I walk more.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I must be a mutant then, Charles.

I eat around 1/2 hour before I work out, and I'm not hungry again until the next meal time. The only exception to this, is when I'm carb-frenzied, around the time of my period. I get cravings for carbs, which gives me the illusion of hunger, which makes me eat more. But that's just a few days out of the month.

I was gaining weight steadily *until* I joined the gym. At that time, I started doing cardio -and- strength training, and shifting my menu a bit. Reducing fats, sugar, and starches, and increasing protein and fiber in the form of fresh vegetables. I lost 30 pounds, and tightened up my muscles to the point where I can actually see the definition, whereas a year ago, all I could see were belly rolls and flab.

Weight management isn't just a matter of getting thin. Thin doesn't mean healthy. It just means thin. Bulked up doesn't mean healthy; it just means bulked up. The gym has helped me lose weight, and gain physical strength. It's improved my balance, and returned more oxygen to my blood than I had during all the years I was a smoker. It's also increased my stamina and endurance, and it's reduced the pain in my hip and spine, which will both eventually cause me to be in a wheelchair.

Without the gym, I'd just be eating better. I wouldn't feel any better. I wouldn't move any better. I wouldn't lift better, or help my husband maintain the household repairs better, or breathe better, or anything else. It's the combination of eating healthier AND regular strenuous physical exercise that provides health, of which weight is only one factor.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,407 times
Quote:

Good observation but the conclusion is off. They're not much thinner than they were a year ago because long, traditional cardio doesn't do much for your metabolism. People can actually gain weight doing this because it will break down muscle over time, especially if they keep upping the cardio intensity by going longer. Would they gain weight if they stopped cold turkey? I think so; you get used to eating a certain amount of calories and your body signals you it's time to eat when it's normally time to go eat.

Resistance training with weights, be it bodyweight or iron, builds lean muscle and helps your body absorb calories. Heck, carb backloading proponents eat ice cream and pizza every night and still get leaner. I thought it was a straight scam but the author put a lot of science behind it and I'm giving it a shot myself.

http://www.carbbackloading.com/

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
^

I look view it as a bank. If you take in more calories you gain weight if you lose calories then you lose weight. Now if someone does that only by reducing what they eat then they will lose weight and if someone does that by both exercising and watching what they eat again they will lose weight. If, however, they exercise but take in more calories then they burn then they will gain weight.

However on the positive side people who exercise are more healthy then people who do not even if the people who exercise are over weight.

This is a study I found:

Nearly half of fat people are just as healthy as slim people - and at no more risk of developing heart problems or cancer, researchers claim. Doing exercise can offset the dangers of being obese, the researchers found. The study - which is the largest of its kind - abolishes the notion that obesity automatically leads to ill-health.

The link: People can be fat AND fit as study finds obesity doesn't automatically lead to ill-health | Mail Online

Personally I exercise every day, mostly the elliptical runner, and I watch what I eat but I am not as thin as I would like. However my doctor is pleased so I am pleased.

good post, there's being skinny and there's being fit, and they are not the same.

I was watching the CrossFit games on t.v. once and these women were competing, doing all these fast multi-versed exercises, quickly, one after the other, and most were quite cut and toned, however one wasn't really that way, she had less definition but was doing all the work the same. Some people have different body types, different genetics, different natural levels of health, no doubt that one woman was fitter than 98% of all americans even if she didn't quite look like everyone else.

someone who might even carry a few extra pounds but exercises and cross trains is way better than the naturally skinny person who never does.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,260 times
Quote:
You would be the exception (and possibly you "think" you eat more). The overwhelming majority of people become hungrier if they had worked out. This is not debatable. It is backed up with peer reviewed data and it also is quite obvious.
First, I don't "think" I eat more when I don't exercise, I KNOW I do because I have tracked it. I also can clearly document the relationship between my exercise habits and my weight, much more so than diet.

Second, you claim that people becoming hungrier when they work out isn't debatable because it is backed up with peer reviewed data (one researcher quoted in Time?); yet I can give the following peer reviewed research that finds the opposite and supports my argument. Add in the fact that my side matches what I learned throughout my education (BA Exercise Phys, MS Public Health Ed, and I'll stick with the idea that exercise can and often does suppress appetite and is a critical element in sustainable weight loss.

http://www.cenegenicsfoundation.org/...lthy_males.pdf

High dose exercise does not increase hunger or energy intake in free living males. - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central

Effects of exercise on gut peptides, energy intake and appetite

Acute effects of exercise on food intake in obese and nonobese women.

Exercise-induced suppression of appetite: effects on food intake and implications for energy... - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central

http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ine&aid=816556

Last edited by roneb; 12-04-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:

They might not gain weight over-night, but yes, most of them would start to gain weight if they made no change to their dietary intake. And, as schmedes2 pointed out, they aren't successfully losing weight because they aren't necessarily exercising in an effective manner. To be blunt, that is why they should either do more research on exercise, or hire a qualified trainer.

You keep saying the relationship between exercise and weight loss is a myth, but you've cited precious little (any?) science to back it up. You do a disservice to people by making it easier for them to rationalize not exercising. Americans don't necessarily need to all go to the gym, but the vast majority need to be A LOT more physically active than they currently are.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonchick View Post
i must be a mutant then, charles.

I eat around 1/2 hour before i work out, and i'm not hungry again until the next meal time. The only exception to this, is when i'm carb-frenzied, around the time of my period. I get cravings for carbs, which gives me the illusion of hunger, which makes me eat more. But that's just a few days out of the month.

I was gaining weight steadily *until* i joined the gym. At that time, i started doing cardio -and- strength training, and shifting my menu a bit. Reducing fats, sugar, and starches, and increasing protein and fiber in the form of fresh vegetables. I lost 30 pounds, and tightened up my muscles to the point where i can actually see the definition, whereas a year ago, all i could see were belly rolls and flab.

Weight management isn't just a matter of getting thin. Thin doesn't mean healthy. It just means thin. Bulked up doesn't mean healthy; it just means bulked up. The gym has helped me lose weight, and gain physical strength. It's improved my balance, and returned more oxygen to my blood than i had during all the years i was a smoker. It's also increased my stamina and endurance, and it's reduced the pain in my hip and spine, which will both eventually cause me to be in a wheelchair.

Without the gym, i'd just be eating better. I wouldn't feel any better. I wouldn't move any better. I wouldn't lift better, or help my husband maintain the household repairs better, or breathe better, or anything else. It's the combination of eating healthier and regular strenuous physical exercise that provides health, of which weight is only one factor.
amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss