Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times

Advertisements

I want to share with you all my let's call it "problem"

I want to lose some weigth and I have been doing spinning, running, etc... at the gym, nowadays I use endomondo application for mobile phone, so I am doing just walking and some bike exercises.

The thing is, when I start doing exercise I always gain weight and also volume... people say it's muscle mass, but just walking and biking??? I understand when muscles become bigger doing strenght exercises but aerobic ones... I find it strange.

Also, I have a problem of water retention because my dietist told me some years ago, can this have influence?

And finally my current weight and height:

Height: 159 cm = 5.21
Wieght: 56kg= 123pounds

Opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Exercise has practically nothing to do with losing weight.
Those who regularly exercise now and if were suddenly to quit, would gain little to no weight.
Those who don't exercise now and start will lose practically no weight.

For every five calories you burn exercising, you become six calories hungrier.

If you want to lose weight you're going to have to eat less than you want(ed) - regardless if you exercise or not.

People who are thin, think they're thin because they exercise. They think people who are fat are fat because they don't.

Why Exercise Doesn't Actually Help You Lose Weight

Why Exercise and Burning Calories Won't Help You Lose Weight

Phys Ed: Why Doesn't Exercise Lead to Weight Loss? - NYTimes.com

Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
If you will not gain any muscle mass from aerobic exercise. My guess is that you are eating more calories, possibly due to being more hungry because of exercise.
Exercise burns calories. If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight. If you eat less than you burn you will lose weight.
Water retention will make you heavier and will bloat you.The more water you drink the less likely you will retain it. It will flush out your system. Sodium is the main reason people retain water. Cut back on it in your diet and may see a difference.
Diet and exercise work best when done together when trying to lose weight.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight.
Almost correct. If you eat more than you (burn plus what you waste) you will gain weight. That's (one of the reasons) why two people can eat exactly the same and work out exactly the same and one will gain and one will lose weight. They have different set points for weight storage and waste. Fat people are more efficient in this sense.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I only lost weight through road biking and some dieting. As I lost weight I had to eat less, or look at my weight before I ate dinner so I could gauge how much to eat for dinner.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
look at my weight before I ate dinner so I could gauge how much to eat for dinner.

What???

Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Exercise has practically nothing to do with losing weight.
Those who regularly exercise now and if were suddenly to quit, would gain little to no weight.
Those who don't exercise now and start will lose practically no weight.

For every five calories you burn exercising, you become six calories hungrier.

If you want to lose weight you're going to have to eat less than you want(ed) - regardless if you exercise or not.

People who are thin, think they're thin because they exercise. They think people who are fat are fat because they don't.

Why Exercise Doesn't Actually Help You Lose Weight

Why Exercise and Burning Calories Won't Help You Lose Weight

Phys Ed: Why Doesn't Exercise Lead to Weight Loss? - NYTimes.com
How do you make understanding this so simple? Why do I feel like a light bulb just turned on? I read your links and found them very helpful.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:13 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I want to share with you all my let's call it "problem"

I want to lose some weigth and I have been doing spinning, running, etc... at the gym, nowadays I use endomondo application for mobile phone, so I am doing just walking and some bike exercises.

The thing is, when I start doing exercise I always gain weight and also volume... people say it's muscle mass, but just walking and biking??? I understand when muscles become bigger doing strenght exercises but aerobic ones... I find it strange.

Also, I have a problem of water retention because my dietist told me some years ago, can this have influence?

And finally my current weight and height:

Height: 159 cm = 5.21
Wieght: 56kg= 123pounds

Opinions??
Water retention DOES influence this, and I found the same phenomenon when I first started a more vigorous weight training program. I actually put on weight! But after a couple months it was like one day my body just "let go" of the excess water and I started losing. Ironically, I didn't lost much weight with weight training and biking only, but recently started walking/jogging and weight is falling off. I also watch my food intake, especially of starchy carbs.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
When you're exercising, drink more water than when you're not exercising. Your body -will- retain water, if it's "feeling" deprived of it. Obviously your body doesn't have emotions so it isn't going to feel deprived. But metaphorically speaking, it will know that it's not getting as much water as it requires, and will hoarde whever moisture it can until it's satisfied that it's getting enough.

And so - if you normally drink a bottle of water per day - try drinking two. Or even one and a half. That'll help get the fluids -through- you instead of stuck inside you. It'll take a couple of days and you'll be peeing every 20 minutes, it'll seem. But after a couple of days everything will even out and you'll stop overflowing -and- stop retaining as much.

Next: keep a food diary for a week or two. It'll be inconvenient, but you need to see what you're consuming, how much, how often, and under what circumstances. It's very possible that you're eating more foods, or more carbs, or more dairy, or more fats, after you exercise - and if that's true, you might want to have your meal a half hour *before* exercise, so you don't binge afterward. You shouldn't exercise on an empty stomach, but you -also- shouldn't exercise immediately after eating. A half hour window between food and workout seems to be a reasonable middle ground for most people.

Also, when you -do- snack, try to snack on things that won't cause you to retain water. So - low or no sodium snacks. That means no potato chips or slim jims

Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Thanks to all, so is it normal to gain weight at the beginning right? I will try to walk a lot everyday and drink water and I see, I am quite tired of my curvy shapes, my fat legs etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss