Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times

Advertisements

Jerseygal - there are so many different weight charts it is hard to figure out what you should weigh and it also depends upon your frame - small, medium or large. 130 lbs. is within normal weight range....on livingstrong.com it lists 120 as the ideal weight for a woman that is 5'4". Another website I looked at said that 5'4", 130 lbs. was normal for someone with a medium frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
5'4" and 130lbs is totally normal but the problem in today's obese world is normal weight has become the new "skinny". As someone who is actually "skinny", I would love to see what people in America would say to me. "Eat some burgers" or "eat some steaks"... yet I eat more than they do.

I never say my weight online really because I am self conscious about it but I am 6" tall and 140-150lbs. That is skinny, not 5.4 and 130lbs. And I have hardly any body fat. Can't even pinch 2-3mm anywhere on my body. Just the way I'm built.

Anyway there may be normal BMI people who have too much body fat and so called "thin-fat" but they are a real minority. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people in the overweight or obese category are not so due to higher muscle mass but due to too much body fat. A good start is how much fat can you pinch? More than half an inch is too much. Muscle is solid, not flabby, if you contract your muscle and can still pinch a lot that is F-A-T. Round stomach? That is fat again. Bulging stomach is very bad, sign of excess visceral fat.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 11-14-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
This is using the word "skinny" very loosely.... Being within a normal BMI range is hardly "skinny", the ranges are rather large. I know some people with a lot of belly fat despite being in a normal BMI, but its not some hidden body fat. It pokes out a bit and its obviously fat when they don't have their shirts on.

As for genes, people respond differently to the poisonous American diet. You can see the same thing when you feed rats a similar type of junk-chow. Some get obese, some get overweight, some remain fairly slim.....take the rats off the junk-chow and they will all start to maintain a normal weight again. So its not that some people are "naturally slim", everyone is naturally slim. Its that some are able to maintain a normal weight despite eating junk.......of course the junk effects other aspects of their health hence the article.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
5 ft 4in isn't skinny?
It is within the normal weight range.

I think you mean its not thin. Its skinny for sure.

5'4 and 130lbs is NOT skinny. It's not even thin. In fact, it's rather chunky and I'm sure there's a muffin top involved.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
5'4 and 130lbs is NOT skinny. It's not even thin. In fact, it's rather chunky and I'm sure there's a muffin top involved.
Not true - look up the weight range for a woman who is 5'4" and 130 lbs....well within range for normal weight - just because you think 130 lbs. is chunky doesn't mean it is. I agree that 130 at 5'4 is not thin - but it is definitely within normal weight range.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
it also depends on age. I mean a fifty year old women at that 130 is not fat considering the aging factor. Also do they lift. I mean I am 5'4 134 with 21 percent bodyfat at age 47 and in a size 4. I have been lifting for years. I have another girl friend who is 5 feet 7 she weights 165 has been lifting for years and has a bodyfat of 12 percent. Google the name Kathy Unger and take a look at her videos. I would not call her fat. I mean there are so many factors. If you dont lift weights and do nothing everyone is fat!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There's such a thing as a "naturally thin" person? After reading this forum's threads it seems the only reason anyone is fat is because they have no will power or discipline. Thin people are thin because they make wise eating decisions. Assuming someone is "naturally thin" is just making excuses. The conclusion is we are all "naturally thin" (just like we all were 100 years ago) and people with no character, will power, or discipline get fat.
My best friend eats garbage food, and lots of it. He's as thin as they come. He exercises sometimes, but not enough to offset all the garbage food and volume that he eats.

Everyone has different metobolic rates, structure in how fat is stored, and frames. That's not to say that people like my friend are healthy or low fat, but there's no question he's thin, despite his poor eating decisions.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
I, on the other hand, have to watch every single thing that I eat. I exercise regularly and vigorously and lead an active lifestyle. I eat no refined sugar (ever), am precise in maintaining a low fat diet, can go weeks without having any bread, and eat no added fat or oil to my diet. I have a slower metabolism than my friend - I have to be very disciplined in maintaining a thin frame.
Sounds like me. Slip up and start snacking and--boom---start adding pounds and adding them fast.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If a muffin top is involved,it may simply mean that the person's fat distribution favors the midsection.
Nothing more. I can't tell you how many women I know who can't lose the belly be cuase of their body shape.
On the flip side,I know women who are 250 lbs and 5ft 6in with no muffin top.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If a muffin top is involved,it may simply mean that the person's fat distribution favors the midsection.
Nothing more. I can't tell you how many women I know who can't lose the belly be cuase of their body shape.
On the flip side,I know women who are 250 lbs and 5ft 6in with no muffin top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss