Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times

Advertisements

I had a fast metabolism when I was younger. I could eat whatever I want, never work out, and there wasn't an ounce of fat on me anywhere. That started to change when I got into my later 20's...now I have to watch what I eat and work out to maintain. Everyone is different. I have two younger female cousins who eat the same, work out the same (not much at all), but one is over weight and one isn't. I think genetics have a lot to do with it. Some people have to work harder to maintain their weight and that's just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What's that all about?

I'm sorry,but some have an unrealistic view of what is skinny and what isn't.
5ft 4in and 130 is skinny,no matter how you slice it.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:16 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
That sounds like me. I have a BMI of 20.1 (170 cm, 58 kg) which is well within the "normal weight" range but I am actually a bit overweight. I have some excess fat that I need to lose. In order to lose the excess fat I'd have to weigh about 50 kg. According to BMI I would be "underweight" then but this is a normal weight for me, it's just the way I'm built. I don't really look overweight on the outside (with clothes on ) but I can pinch the fat rolls on my stomach. In contrast, my sister-in-law is shorter than me and weighs more but she looks just as 'slim'.

As for that comment someone made about slim people eating healthier, well I single-handedly disprove that theory My lifestyle is about as unhealthy as it gets. I don't eat breakfast or lunch, I don't excercise, I eat tons of candy, chocolate, crisps etc. (anything I want) and I eat most of it late in the evening and at night, I rarely eat fruit or drink water, I love ice-cream and pudding, etc. etc.

I am planning to lose weight now but those diets sound like an absolute nightmare I got a subscription to the gym today so that's a start. I don't see myself counting calories, that won't last for long. I'm just going to start eating brunch, eat some more fruit instead of snacks and not eat too much late at night anymore. That should work

Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yes, someone that thinks someone that is 5'4" and 130 is "skinny" has an unrealistic view of weight.

2/3 of American adults are overweight as a result people systematically misjudge weight. Legitimately skinny adults are relatively rare in the US these days.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
If a muffin top is involved,it may simply mean that the person's fat distribution favors the midsection.
Nothing more. I can't tell you how many women I know who can't lose the belly be cuase of their body shape.
Whether your fat distribution favors the midsection or your butt is immaterial, you don't have a muffin top unless you have a significant amount of excess body fat. Women who "can't lose the belly" are just women that don't know how to eat right......the sort that think "salads are healthy", etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 PM

525 posts, read 761,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
5'4" and 130lbs is totally normal but the problem in today's obese world is normal weight has become the new "skinny". As someone who is actually "skinny", I would love to see what people in America would say to me. "Eat some burgers" or "eat some steaks"... yet I eat more than they do.

I never say my weight online really because I am self conscious about it but I am 6" tall and 140-150lbs. That is skinny, not 5.4 and 130lbs. And I have hardly any body fat. Can't even pinch 2-3mm anywhere on my body. Just the way I'm built.

Anyway there may be normal BMI people who have too much body fat and so called "thin-fat" but they are a real minority. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people in the overweight or obese category are not so due to higher muscle mass but due to too much body fat. A good start is how much fat can you pinch? More than half an inch is too much. Muscle is solid, not flabby, if you contract your muscle and can still pinch a lot that is F-A-T. Round stomach? That is fat again. Bulging stomach is very bad, sign of excess visceral fat.

I do not doubt at all that you eat a large amount, yet still are thin

This fits in perfectly with my own observations. Dr. Jeffrey Friedman also has said that it is excessively difficult to fatten a naturally very thin person.

My only advice would be have you tried lifting heavy and using compound exercises like squats and shoulder presses?

This MAY add at least a small amount of weight to you. Maybe. It is probably your only hope.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
I'm 5'4 but am pear-shaped and have a very light and fine bone structure. Anything above 120 lbs starts looking fairly chubby on me - I used to be around 122-127 for a while and am now horrified to look back at photos from that time: I immediately get those round hamster cheeks that are horribly unflattering and make me look old and matronly, plus I get love handles, big heavy round hips and thighs and cankles - though everything above the waist looks normal.
At my current weight, around 110, I'm technically underweight and I admit I got to it by not eating as much as I should (not to lose weight, just due to forgetting, lack of appetite, pickyness, etc), but aesthetically I look so much better, especially my face. I am a bit too skinny on top and my chest's pretty much gone, but I still have curvy hips and butt and my legs just look average, even a bit on the curvy side. My body fat is around 18%. I have to admit I'm always impressed by women who weigh 20-30 lbs more and manage to look trim and athletic. I could probably do with a lot more muscle-building exercise and better diet, but as a sahm to a three year old, away from family, I just don't have the willpower and stamina. But if it's between skinny-fat or average-chubby, I'll take the former. Clothes shopping and getting dressed in the morning is so much more fun now that I don't have to obsess about looking fat in something.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
What's that all about?

If you have a large frame it actually is in the "ideal range"

If you have midsection fat at this weight that is when you get your body fat tested and see if its too high fat for your frame.

The muffin could be from fat, skin shrinking up, bloat from meds or poor dietary balances.

All that should be taken into consideration as it is on the high end of healthy.
Gaining fat in the midsection also can show heart health issues no matter what your size.
Skinny people even have heart attacks on crappy diets. So be thankful your gut is showing you that before your heart does.

I have a small frame and am an inch taller. The large frame range makes me look sloppy (opinion) and really is too high fat (fact by body fat % #s) when I was up at that range.
BUT
During maintaining, putting on lean mass and fat cutting my body stays the same weight and just gets smaller and leaner. If you just lost the weight you are probably going to be high fat. Most people are.
Depending on your body type and habits is where it will go from there.

I think its kinda sad people expect all this change to happen overnight so they slide back into bad habits or just stop trying to continue to improve their body and nutritional practices. (considering your body just continues to improve over the years with healthier habits. Its not an overnight fix at all.)

If you have a muffin top from pants and not in the nude...its probably the pants even more so than your body fat. Still get your body fat tested.

I personally think that when people with large of frames or a natural endomorph body types try to go to the low end of the BMI they look unhealthy or off. Like the skull/joints are just too large for that level of thin. Vice versa for small frames. The truth is in the body fat percentage. "Ideal range" and all that crap is just a rough idea of where you should head when starting to lose weight. That is only a very small part of the picture though.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I'm 5'4 but am pear-shaped and have a very light and fine bone structure. Anything above 120 lbs starts looking fairly chubby on me - I used to be around 122-127 for a while and am now horrified to look back at photos from that time: I immediately get those round hamster cheeks that are horribly unflattering and make me look old and matronly, plus I get love handles, big heavy round hips and thighs and cankles - though everything above the waist looks normal.
At my current weight, around 110, I'm technically underweight and I admit I got to it by not eating as much as I should (not to lose weight, just due to forgetting, lack of appetite, pickyness, etc), but aesthetically I look so much better, especially my face. I am a bit too skinny on top and my chest's pretty much gone, but I still have curvy hips and butt and my legs just look average, even a bit on the curvy side. My body fat is around 18%. I have to admit I'm always impressed by women who weigh 20-30 lbs more and manage to look trim and athletic. I could probably do with a lot more muscle-building exercise and better diet, but as a sahm to a three year old, away from family, I just don't have the willpower and stamina. But if it's between skinny-fat or average-chubby, I'll take the former. Clothes shopping and getting dressed in the morning is so much more fun now that I don't have to obsess about looking fat in something.

You are low energy though because of the low weight intake. I would try eating to gain 5 and see how you feel.
Weight Gain Calculator

There are short workouts you can do at home to put on muscle on top.
When trying to gain muscle you don't workout everyday.
You MUST rest to let the body build its muscle.

There are a ton of free short workouts on youtube.
FitnessBlender.com - YouTube
Good channel to start looking for something.
They have short and long workouts.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I had to reread this again,and the article,and now I'm more confused than ever.

If I eat 1,000 cal a day,I lose weight.
I ve actually lost 16 pounds from doing this,yet my body fat stayed the same according to the scale I use.

Wth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss