Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

I stopped drinking diet pepsi 3 weeks ago and I did not get any headaches. I can function fine without it. I do drink coffee but I only have 1 or 2 cups a day.I drink club soda now. Try adding cranberry, orange or lemon juice to seltzer or club soda. You can even try black coffee mixed with seltzer and you can have coffee flavored soda. Some apple juice or grape juice might work too. You will still get that bubbly fiz without all that crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM

979 posts, read 1,775,617 times
Interesting conversation. I've run the gammut - heavy soda drinker, zero soda drinker, and every "moderate" stop in between. I currently err on the heavy side. Last year, I was pregnant and gave it up completely. I've also been in the "no colas" camp to void phosphoric acid; I would drink diet ginger ale, Sprite Zero, and orange Fanta Zero (diet orange sodas are tricky - some contain caffeine, and diet Sunkist actually contains SUGAR). I will say I don't feel any difference when I change the types or amounts of diet soda I consume. I don't drink regular sugared sodas because I have been type 2 diabetic, so I avoid sugar and most dietary carbohydrates (even though my diabetes is "resolved" or "in remission;" I see no need to tempt fate). I used to be morbidly obese and drank diet sodas. Now, I'm no longer obese and still drink diet sodas. If you look hard enough, you can find damning evidence against pretty much anything. I'll keep drinking my diet soda (until I hopefully get pregnant again) despite the plethora of negative information I've read about the acids, the sweeteners, etc. It's convenient, tastes good, and keeps me from reaching for junky snacks. If I cut out everything that has been linked to cancer or whatever else, I'd be living on just water (oh, wait, that's polluted, too...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know many say Stevia or Agar is safer,but I haven't seen or read any proof that it is.
Why isn't it approved yet?
Stevia is the primary sweetener in Truvia brand sweetener and is used in many foods/beverages (including Zevia brand sodas). However, it's much more expensive, so it's not used as widely as other sweeteners. It also has a bitter aftertaste if used in large amounts; you use a VERY small amount of stevia because it is many, many times sweeter than sugar; this is a problem for many foods (like baked goods) because stevia can provide sweetness, but not the bulk/texture of sugar (which is why Truvia also includes erythritol, a sugar alcohol).

The second I assume you meant was agave. That is widely available, but it's still a sugar - still has the sugar and calories, so it's not for use in diet sodas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Is SPLENDA bad? Maybe they should put Splenda in diet sodas instead...
Yes, Splenda (sucralose) is also "bad" in that some people have very bad reactions/side effects from it (headaches, inflammation, etc.). Anything highly processed/chemically enhanced is bound to be "bad" to some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There's a sweetener called Truvia that comes from a plant and I think it's safer than most others. Time will tell. If I drank diet soda I'd look for something that contained Truvia.
Truvia is a combination of stevia (the part "that comes from a plant") and erythritol, a sugar alcohol. Currently, at least in the US, Zevia is the only brand of soda sweetened with these (stevia and erythiritol - Truvia is the brand name of a specific product), and it's much more expensive because these sweeteners are much more expensive, which is why they're not more widely used.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Interesting conversation. I've run the gammut - heavy soda drinker, zero soda drinker, and every "moderate" stop in between. I currently err on the heavy side. Last year, I was pregnant and gave it up completely. I've also been in the "no colas" camp to void phosphoric acid; I would drink diet ginger ale, Sprite Zero, and orange Fanta Zero (diet orange sodas are tricky - some contain caffeine, and diet Sunkist actually contains SUGAR). I will say I don't feel any difference when I change the types or amounts of diet soda I consume. I don't drink regular sugared sodas because I have been type 2 diabetic, so I avoid sugar and most dietary carbohydrates (even though my diabetes is "resolved" or "in remission;" I see no need to tempt fate). I used to be morbidly obese and drank diet sodas. Now, I'm no longer obese and still drink diet sodas. If you look hard enough, you can find damning evidence against pretty much anything. I'll keep drinking my diet soda (until I hopefully get pregnant again) despite the plethora of negative information I've read about the acids, the sweeteners, etc. It's convenient, tastes good, and keeps me from reaching for junky snacks. If I cut out everything that has been linked to cancer or whatever else, I'd be living on just water (oh, wait, that's polluted, too...).
Exactly! I hope I never end up as one of those people who only eat raw vegetables and drink water because everything else is "bad" for you (then again, I'm sure you can find studies about the adverse health effects of water and almost any vegetable out there). I like to enjoy my meals and don't feel guilt-ridden if I eat something unhealthy once in a while. My health is fine despite drinking a glass of (diet) soda every day and eating junk food regularly for most of my life. I haven't seen a doctor in years. If it is true that diet soda and other kinds of food increase the chances of cancer or a heart attack, I am more than willing to take that risk. I wouldn't want to live until 90 if it means I have to be paranoid about everything I eat and constantly check the product labels for the amount of calories, sodium, fat, carbohydrates, etc. It doesn't matter how many people tell me bread, pasta, rice and potatoes are "bad" for you, I will continue to eat them until the day I die and if this day comes 10 years sooner as a result, I'll gladly pay that price. I wouldn't even know what to eat every day if I cut these things out of my diet. Potatoes are "folk food" where I'm from, they're in almost every traditional dish. It's like telling an Asian person to stop eating rice. Bread is also "folk food" here, most people eat it for breakfast and lunch every day of their life. Pasta is one of my favourite dishes, there's no way I'm going to give that up. I would say my diet is pretty healthy overall - especially now that I'm paying more attention to it - because I still eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and I drink water.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM

306 posts, read 758,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Exactly! I hope I never end up as one of those people who only eat raw vegetables and drink water because everything else is "bad" for you (then again, I'm sure you can find studies about the adverse health effects of water and almost any vegetable out there). I like to enjoy my meals and don't feel guilt-ridden if I eat something unhealthy once in a while. My health is fine despite drinking a glass of (diet) soda every day and eating junk food regularly for most of my life. I haven't seen a doctor in years. If it is true that diet soda and other kinds of food increase the chances of cancer or a heart attack, I am more than willing to take that risk. I wouldn't want to live until 90 if it means I have to be paranoid about everything I eat and constantly check the product labels for the amount of calories, sodium, fat, carbohydrates, etc. It doesn't matter how many people tell me bread, pasta, rice and potatoes are "bad" for you, I will continue to eat them until the day I die and if this day comes 10 years sooner as a result, I'll gladly pay that price. I wouldn't even know what to eat every day if I cut these things out of my diet. Potatoes are "folk food" where I'm from, they're in almost every traditional dish. It's like telling an Asian person to stop eating rice. Bread is also "folk food" here, most people eat it for breakfast and lunch every day of their life. Pasta is one of my favourite dishes, there's no way I'm going to give that up. I would say my diet is pretty healthy overall - especially now that I'm paying more attention to it - because I still eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and I drink water.
I couldn't agree more! Life is short... I eat my vegetables, especially potatoes, whole grain breads, fruits, plenty of water, fish and chicken, more water, rice, pasta and peanut butter. I do alot of hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains and at the end of the day I am having my Diet Coke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss