Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

What constitutes a healthy diet is largely agreed on, people focus on what isn't yet agreed to avoid making changes in their life. Regardless, diet soda isn't health food....it should be avoided. There are a lot of negative studies surrounding artificial sweaters, none that show that it is "good for you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
U_ID.

I was referring to the sources of high healthcare costs in the US. NOT why it is higher than in Europe, Canada, etc. That's an entirely different issue that you can take to the Great Debates Forum.
You sure are a slippery dickens!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I was referring to the sources of high healthcare costs in the US. NOT why it is higher than in Europe, Canada, etc. That's an entirely different issue that you can take to the Great Debates Forum.
Of course the elderly increase healthcare costs, but that isn't what I was discussing when you responded to me. Of course the elderly increase overall healthcare costs, but that isn't what I was discussing. I was discussing increased healthcare costs due to poor lifestyle choices and this is a factor regardless of age. I figured, since you mentioned me, you were responding to this and suggesting that the increased health care costs in the US are due to the elderly and not poor lifestyle choices. But I guess you were just randomly asserting something? I don't know....

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM

147 posts, read 118,869 times
Well, let's see here, processed foods and diet sodas are bad for humans. It's better if you eat fresh, like salmonella laced cantaloupes, spinach, peanuts, berries, tainted fish, listeria laced ground beef, pink slime, and other so called fresh stuff. It would be a matter of choice, do you want to die in a few days or a few years? I believe every time a person eats or drinks anything, there's risk involved, nothing is totally safe. Not even the water we drink. Just about the only thing that's pure is beer, if it's pasteurized.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 AM

632 posts, read 1,030,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What constitutes a healthy diet is largely agreed on, people focus on what isn't yet agreed to avoid making changes in their life. Regardless, diet soda isn't health food....it should be avoided. There are a lot of negative studies surrounding artificial sweaters, none that show that it is "good for you".
Exactly. Sodas should be avoided.

I started this thread and put it in the "Diet and Weight Loss" forum because of my experience working with and training people to lose weight and become healthier, happier, fitter people. I have seen first hand the knowledge on healthy eating is extremely important and many people are just ignorant (i.e., they dont know) what is healthy or how to eat healthy - "Oh, I drink diet soda/coke because it says diet so it should be okay" or, they just refuse to accept that they need to make changes to get healthy - "I want to get healthy, but Im not giving up my diet coke".

Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,801 times
If people would read the study more carefully they would see
that the study did not prove anything ! ! !

They wrote ...

The findings, reported in the Journal of General Internal Medicine,
don't prove that the sugar-free drinks are actually to blame.
There may be other things about diet-soda lovers that explain
the connection, researchers say.

Diet soda tied to heart attack, stroke risks: study | Reuters

Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 AM

306 posts, read 758,038 times
Diet Coke needs a break so here goes!

Enjoy the calorie-free Diet Coke that leaves you feeling refreshed, ready for the day, and totally in control at the office, at home, while driving, or enjoying your day at the beach or the mountains. Coke adds life, Things Go Better with Coke, and now you can enjoy the benefits of Coca Cola with no calories with Diet Coke.

Diet Coke is renowned for soothing upset stomachs, headaches, dementia, and chronic drowsiness. Just for the taste of it...enjoy Diet Coke! Live long and Prosper and be Proud....with your Diet Coke!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,274 times
I love, love, love soda, especially Coke Zero and Diet Schweppe's Ginger Ale. I just love the taste. I used to drink regular Coke, but it has so much sugar!

I kept reading about how diet soda makes people gain weight. Even though I am slim by most standards, I did notice that when I drank my soda (mostly at night), I became RAVENOUSLY hungry. I would get up at 3 a.m. and stuff down food. I could not stop eating. I also realize that diet soda is mostly chemicals. I rarely drank soda in the daytime, and only had normal hunger pangs at that time.

I also NEVER drank water, except a few sips on extremely hot days. The water out of the tap tastes horrible. Actually, I don't drink enough liquids.

I finally stopped buying any sodas which I knew would be hard. I have been buying big jugs of bottled water, and drinking it continuously at night. I told my husband that this is for both of us. He's starting to pick up the water habit, too!

The only thing I drink now is coffee in the morning, non-fat milk in my cereal, and water with my lunch and dinner, and water all evening. I'm not an alcohol drinker.

It is starting to work! I am not ravenously hungry anymore, and have lost 3 pounds in a few weeks with no effort whatsoever, and hardly changing my diet except for the soda. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I have water, and water only!

I don't miss the soda as much as I thought!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Now they are saying Diet soda causes depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss