Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

I usually don't even bother responding to Rick anymore, since he is shockingly uninformed, ridiculously myopic, and his propensity for arguing with volume and style (large caps, bolding and videos) and simply spamming people with loads of irrelevant and incorrect information makes him the dietary equivalent of a 9/11 Troffer.

Seriously, go pull up a message board where there is a troofer and you'll see the same debate style. It's a perfect example of the old axiom "If you can't beat em' with brilliance, baffle em' with B.S."

Fortunately, it looks like the the other educated people in this forum did a good job of discrediting him while I was away and making sure the people here looking for help don't get lead the wrong way by his nonsense.

Thanks, guys and girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM

781 posts, read 736,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
One last thing. You should forget everything you've learned from Taubes. The guy has no formal education in health or physical sciences (he was an engineer, IIRC) and his works have been completely discredited within the scientific community.
In other words, person X claims 1+1=2. That claim is false. Why? Because the person stating 1+1=2 doesn't have a math degree.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
In other words, person X claims 1+1=2. That claim is false. Why? Because the person stating 1+1=2 doesn't have a math degree.
No, the person is saying 1+1= something similar, but not necessarily the same, as 2, but only if you consider the first 1 as a green 1, and the second 1 as a purple 1, and mix them together only in conjunction with these specific exercises, and only on a full moon. And even if you do this - it might not end up as 2. But it might. And the reason he says it might, is because he wrote a book about it and posted it on the internet, and therefore he knows all about what 1+1 might equal, and why.

That's why you shouldn't rely on Taubes to save your mortal, obese soul.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
The idea of 'set weights' as described in the video conforms overwhelmingly to the anecdotal, but stark real-world experiences of most of the dieters that I have known.
Coincidental..? Maybe.
But at what level of significance?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:29 AM

57 posts, read 124,967 times
I've been following Paleo for 6 months, and with regular exercise it has been amazing. I consider it a lifestyle, not a diet. It works for me.
The biggest thing is I no longer have acne after removing dairy and grains from my diet.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 PM

662 posts, read 313,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Here's Paleo in a nutshell. It's more or less a reasonably healthy way to eat, but it unnecessarily restricts a huge and perfectly healthy portion of the modern diet for no other reason than some dogmatic nonsense.

If you don't have a gluten or dairy allergy, you can include them in your diet without issue.
Here's paleo in a nutshell. Its more or less a reasonably healthy way to eat. It also greatly reduces intake of grains and dairy rather than following the standard dogmatic nonsense.

If you don't have a gluten or dairy allergy, you can include them OR exclude them without issue.

There, that's better!

For me, grains use to bother my digestive system. Bloating, gas, etc. I cut them out when I started the paleo diet and the constant bloat and irritation I had was resolved in a few weeks. I was tested for celiac, negative. I started occasionally eating grains again, and they didn't bother me so much anymore unless I have them consistently over several days. So now, I limit grains to maybe once per week, usually rice or maybe a burrito from Chipotle. I take in very little dairy, but don't mind an ounce or two of kefir in the morning or a sprinkle of raw milk cheese on my eggs.

What I finally began to wonder is this: What is it in grains that I cannot get in other foods? If grains are so awesome as proponents and media tell us, then tell me exactly what is in grains that I can't get elsewhere. I realized after making the change that there are tons of vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, phytonutrients, and materials in vegetables that EASILY cover any possible benefit consuming grains would bring me. I would much rather get my calories and nutrients from a diet high in vegetables, a modest amount of fruit, and different meats. I'm a few years into the paleo style diet and have had nothing but positive changes in my annual blood work and a near full reversal of symptoms form an autoimmune disorder that was taking over my life. The "Eat Clean" diet that is basically a paleo diet plus lots of whole grains and some lean meats was my diet of choice for 2 or 3 years with zero effect on my autoimmune disorder. Cut the grains and my symptoms receded and remain minimal to this day with only one mild prescription instead of 4 very potent prescriptions.

If people ate a wide variety of fresh vegetables in large quantities, why would they need grains? I'm not trying to be dismissive either. I've been trying to get a decent answer as to why grains get all the hype as being necessary and super healthy. What is it that makes them more super healthy than eating a variety of vegetables that can easily provide all the fiber and nutrients grains do plus A LOT more. Same thing with calcium. Dairy is totally unnecessary to get adequate calcium. A diet high in a wide variety of vegetables will offer calcium AND a lot more for healthy strong bones.

I still think people can eat grains and dairy and be healthy, so its not like I find them to be evil. Its just that I've realized they are TOTALLY unnecessary for being healthy and if a person eliminates them and focuses on eating a lot of vegetables from a variety of sources daily, they can easily be just as healthy and not have anything to worry about when cutting grains and dairy out, IF THEY CHOOSE.

Last edited by SFit; 11-18-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
I am an omnivore and I like grains. I do not like excluding any food group from my diet. I am a 'foodie' who thinks that moderation is an easier approach than avoidance. I think the reason the Paleo diet is popular (and lets be honest an extremely small percentage of people actually follow it the way it is supposed to be followed) is because it gets people who do not normally eat whole, fresh foods to get on board. There is nothing wrong with whole grains or dairy. Food allergies and are a whole other topic.
The best eating plan is the one that works for the individual. What works for someone may not work for someone else. There is no 'best' way when it comes to eating healthy as long as people focus on whole, fresh foods and not junk and prepackaged crap.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,855 times
Well,Paleo diet is so good and effective for good fitness of the body and health so we should be follow
the diet plan for keep proper fitness.According to me that paleo diet is so good for weight loss of the
body and get good nutrition so i am agree with your all reviews about it.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
Well,Paleo diet is so good and effective for good fitness of the body and health so we should be follow
the diet plan for keep proper fitness.According to me that paleo diet is so good for weight loss of the
body and get good nutrition so i am agree with your all reviews about it.
Huh?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM

192 posts, read 250,295 times
Quote:
Low carb diets in general are good
Every food God gave us has carbs in it; most are high-carb.

Paleo CAN include fruit(the best food). But are the dieters eating sufficient fruit, or just going paleo as an excuse to eat a lot of meat?

Paleo seems to be a re-named Atkins diet, which didn't survive. It's Meat-industry propaganda. They know people won't eat much fruit and therefore, gorge on meat.

Quote:
It works if you stick with it and exercise.
That's a big reason they don't work. You can't stick with it(Mr. 6 months, I one-up you ...or 38-up you - 19 years on a HIGH-carb plant diet.

Quote:
we have .... well confirmed evidence indicating carbs are linked to ....weight-gain.
No we don't. = China? As for "Linked with other health problems" ..... so is Meat(the basis of Paleo).
so if people really wanted to eat healthy/natural, they'd eat our physiologically correct High-fruit primate/frugivore diet, like I do (see testimonials at youtube/user/foodnsport

Last edited by Sacman; 11-20-2013 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss