Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Oh no no no..I wasn't lumping YOU in with Ricky-baby. I was lumping the suckers who believe one-line soundbites in, with the suckers who believe the Ricky-babies of the forum. When someone says "Dr. Smith says filing your fingernails down until they bleed is good for your iron count" - it's likely that there will be SOMEONE who reads it, and actually tries it. Just check the oil pulling thread in alternative med and you'll see people who INSIST that it cures anything from gum infections to athlete's foot.
Have you tried it? Maybe it works; I don't know but I'm sure Stephen Barrett thinks it's stupid. It's non-invasive so probably harmless and I'm sure it kills fewer people per year than lipitor does. Looking to see if wheat could be the root of your problems is not the same as believing in some hocus-pocus anyway--we already know that people do have problems with it--the question for anyone is: am I one of them?

And lucky609, I would say that you are absolutely right if our food supply hadn't been tampered with so much, but it has. I can tell you right now that I do not want to believe that wheat is bad for me--I love the stuff with all my heart and I make a dam good loaf of homemade bread and it has been my favorite foodstuff all of my life from my very earliest memories. When I came home from school and wanted a snack I ate toast. And guess what? I've had a pot belly all of my life and so did my mother. Do you really think I want to believe this? Do you really think I consider this an easy way to lose weight? It's obvious that you don't know me very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Ditching the wheat would certainly lead to weight loss, for me, because I overconsume it. Lots of empty calories and starchy carbs filling my belly, instead of nutrient-dense foods that would benefit me more. But it's not because it's wheat. It's because it's me, overeating something that I absolutely love to eat. Some people can't eat only one potato chip. I can't eat only one slice of garlic bread.

I also can't have only one fried clam.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:35 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,003 times
When you guys say wheat, do you mean enriched flour or whole wheat?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:41 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Both. They are both wheat.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Both. They are both wheat.
And both will raise your blood sugar more than a snickers bar will.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ditching the wheat would certainly lead to weight loss, for me, because I overconsume it. Lots of empty calories and starchy carbs filling my belly, instead of nutrient-dense foods that would benefit me more. But it's not because it's wheat. It's because it's me, overeating something that I absolutely love to eat. Some people can't eat only one potato chip. I can't eat only one slice of garlic bread.

I also can't have only one fried clam.
You sound addicted. Why not try it for 4 weeks and see what happens? I will warn you though--I actually went thru withdrawal this week but funny thing is now I don't really miss it even though there is no food on earth that I love better than a hot homemade roll slathered with butter. Last night I got a little bit by accident and noticed a subtle burning sensation in my gut--nothing exactly painful but not quite right.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You sound addicted. Why not try it for 4 weeks and see what happens? I will warn you though--I actually went thru withdrawal this week but funny thing is now I don't really miss it even though there is no food on earth that I love better than a hot homemade roll slathered with butter. Last night I got a little bit by accident and noticed a subtle burning sensation in my gut--nothing exactly painful but not quite right.
I don't have any reason to do it. Also, I'm not addicted to wheat. I just really love bread. If there was no bread, and only Wheatina, I wouldn't eat the wheatina instead. I don't like Wheatina (I used to love it when I was a kid but grew out of it). I eat shredded wheat in the morning alternating with oatmeal for breakfast, but only because it's fortified, has a sugar coating on it, and isn't as bad for me as Lucky Charms. I don't feel any burning need to consume it. I don't get any burning sensation in my gut when I eat wheat. In fact, I get no ill effects from it at all. I just really enjoy the taste of bread, and the smell of yeast dough rising in the oven makes me drool.

I don't deprive myself of things I don't -need- to deprive myself of. Since eating wheat isn't making me sick, and it obviously isn't making me fat (since I've lost weight, while still consuming it), I have no reason to stop eating it.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Although this is not proof of anything, the proliferation of gluten-free products on store shelves and the advertising of gluten free on products that don't naturally contain it, does indicate that gluten is being considered seriously by more than just a few 'follow-the-one-liners'
The same for soy,almond and rice milks.
I do believe there is more than just a fad happening.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Although this is not proof of anything, the proliferation of gluten-free products on store shelves and the advertising of gluten free on products that don't naturally contain it, does indicate that gluten is being considered seriously by more than just a few 'follow-the-one-liners'
The same for soy,almond and rice milks.
I do believe there is more than just a fad happening.
And when Atkins was at its hey day all the shelves were lined with low and no carb foods. Just because there is a proliferation of certain items on the shelf does not mean that they are actually working. Its just the latest bandwagon people are jumping on. For some it works, for some they have to adhere to a gluten free diet due to medical reasons, but for most its a non issue.
Soy milk, almond and rice milks have been around for a long time and they are good alternatives for people who are lactose intolerant. My kids love soy milk and we have no dietary issues here.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
You may be right but seems to me that lo-carb is/was not a fad even if the general public is ignoring it......which is obvious when simply looking around and in the increase in Type 2 diabetes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss