Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM

24 posts, read 36,693 times

Advertisements

I know when I hear this I think that its a cop out but I'm at a loss (or not as the case may be...)

I recently got prescribed a new medication that kills my appetite. I've also started getting B12 shots which crazy helps and actually gives me energy to work out after work. Basically I went from eating really really bad and drinking a lot (drinking maybe 4 beers 3 nights a week which could be an extra 1000 calories on those nights ) to eating super healthy and not drinking at all. Since this medicine kills my appetite, I have no cravings for junk food, or really anything, so I've just been eating a lot of fish, fruits and vegetables.
I work riding horses 6 hours a day/4 days a week which could burn ~1000 calories. So that hasn't changed but because of the B12 shots, I've started running at least 3 miles a day every day. I literally haven't taken a day off since the end of december and I used to not run at all.
So a typical day now: yogurt and fresh fruit for breakfast, go to the gym and run 1-2 miles/go on the elliptical, eat an apple, try to have time for lunch before work (usually nuts, avocados, things that would be high cal and healthy fat), go ride horses for 6 hours, come home and make 3 eggs with cheese and a tortilla. No dessert or snacks.

SO. After all of this, since the end of December, I've lost........2 lbs. Seriously. I do feel a whole lot stronger and I know that the number on the scale isn't everything but...2 lbs?
I have no idea why I'm not losing weight. I don't eat over a 1000 cals a day when I used to eat way more than that. I feel like even if there is such a thing as not eating enough to lose weight, I still would be losing more just because I'm burning way more calories than i consume. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 AM

17,622 posts, read 16,789,226 times
When I first started back into cardio, I had the same sort of thing happen to me. I think I lost more than 2 pounds in a month in a half but not much more than that. I was feeling better, looking better, my clothes were fitting better but the scale was not moving. So frustrating. Looking back, I think that the slow weight loss was a symptom of how out of shape I had become. My body had to work on repairing itself first - building muscle, capillaries, etc. - before the weight would come off.

It took a while (maybe another month or two) of consistent exercise and reasonable nutrition (which means eating at the very least 1200 cals/day) to finally start shedding the pounds. Even then, the pounds didn't exactly fall off. I can honestly see why people give up, I really can..

It does get better, though. When your body gets used to be physically active, it does start to burn off the fat and the weight does come off a bit easier. But your body can't build muscle/capillaries etc. without adequate nutrition, in fact going very low cal actually undermines your attempts at getting fit - not what you want to do.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-13-2013 at 03:58 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,518 times
i'm workingout almost everyday and breastfeeding.

Right now i eat 5 small meals a day around 1500 to 1700 a day.

Am i eating enough calories to lose weight?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,889,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalina View Post
i'm workingout almost everyday and breastfeeding.

Right now i eat 5 small meals a day around 1500 to 1700 a day.

Am i eating enough calories to lose weight?
You should ask your ob/gyn for dietary instructions or a referral to a nursing expert. Dieting while breastfeeding can starve the kid, if you're not doing it right.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
When I first started back into cardio, I had the same sort of thing happen to me. I think I lost more than 2 pounds in a month in a half but not much more than that. I was feeling better, looking better, my clothes were fitting better but the scale was not moving. So frustrating. Looking back, I think that the slow weight loss was a symptom of how out of shape I had become. My body had to work on repairing itself first - building muscle, capillaries, etc. - before the weight would come off.

It took a while (maybe another month or two) of consistent exercise and reasonable nutrition (which means eating at the very least 1200 cals/day) to finally start shedding the pounds. Even then, the pounds didn't exactly fall off. I can honestly see why people give up, I really can..

It does get better, though. When your body gets used to be physically active, it does start to burn off the fat and the weight does come off a bit easier. But your body can't build muscle/capillaries etc. without adequate nutrition, in fact going very low cal actually undermines your attempts at getting fit - not what you want to do.
Thanks, that makes me feel better-it is frustrating! My clothes are a lot looser and I do feel great and I know that I should really be focused on that and not the scale but you're right, so unmotivating when the number doesn't budge!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM

10,066 posts, read 18,183,539 times
OP, this is why when I was losing weight many years ago I virtually NEVER looked at the scale -- instead, I went by how I was feeling, how my clothes were fitting (that was a HUGE motivator), etc. You say that your clothes are a lot looser and you feel great -- CONCENTRATE ON THOSE THINGS as they are major (and wonderful!). I would suggest weighing yourself no more than once a week (and honestly, I think once a month or even less frequent would be better). If you know you are eating well and exercising, then the number on the scale cannot tell you very much.

Congratulations on what you've done so far and best of luck to you!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM

632 posts, read 1,034,584 times
Lot of new CD members with less than 4 posts in their history here, usually thats a sign of someone soon to post an ad or link to some place to buy something, but anyway.......

Stalina, you are NOT eating enough. If you are breastfeeding you need to get your calories waaaaaaaaay up there. You are not taking in enough for both you and your child.

OP/TSC9013, B12 shots are a bunch of baloney and malarky. Dont waste your money on them. Its a complete and total waste of your money as it does NOTHING for you. Please dont fall for that as its the weight loss equivalent of paying for Enzyte pills to increase that "certain part of the male anatomy" POS that you see on TV. You say you run 1-2 miles on the elliptical, how long does that take you? What I suggest is to up that to 3-5 miles and keep track of your time. Try to do it faster and faster each time out. You should start seeing results that way.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,561,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc9013 View Post
I know when I hear this I think that its a cop out but I'm at a loss (or not as the case may be...)

I recently got prescribed a new medication that kills my appetite. I've also started getting B12 shots which crazy helps and actually gives me energy to work out after work. Basically I went from eating really really bad and drinking a lot (drinking maybe 4 beers 3 nights a week which could be an extra 1000 calories on those nights ) to eating super healthy and not drinking at all. Since this medicine kills my appetite, I have no cravings for junk food, or really anything, so I've just been eating a lot of fish, fruits and vegetables.
I work riding horses 6 hours a day/4 days a week which could burn ~1000 calories. So that hasn't changed but because of the B12 shots, I've started running at least 3 miles a day every day. I literally haven't taken a day off since the end of december and I used to not run at all.
So a typical day now: yogurt and fresh fruit for breakfast, go to the gym and run 1-2 miles/go on the elliptical, eat an apple, try to have time for lunch before work (usually nuts, avocados, things that would be high cal and healthy fat), go ride horses for 6 hours, come home and make 3 eggs with cheese and a tortilla. No dessert or snacks.

SO. After all of this, since the end of December, I've lost........2 lbs. Seriously. I do feel a whole lot stronger and I know that the number on the scale isn't everything but...2 lbs?
I have no idea why I'm not losing weight. I don't eat over a 1000 cals a day when I used to eat way more than that. I feel like even if there is such a thing as not eating enough to lose weight, I still would be losing more just because I'm burning way more calories than i consume. Thoughts?
your not eating enough! All that activity and little food equals metabolic slow down. Eat a bit more and see the miracle!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc9013 View Post
Since this medicine kills my appetite, I have no cravings for junk food, or really anything, so I've just been eating a lot of fish, fruits and vegetables.
Are you male, female? Young, middle-aged? What you said here makes me wonder about something--I had a digestive condition once for a few weeks and it totally killed my appetite and for the first time in my life I was forcing myself to eat so I only ate healthy foods. I didn't lose a pound. Sometimes I think that it seems that when your appetite leaves, so does your metabolic speediness and your weight loss stalls.

Also, last year after my mom passed away, I decided to try to lose my x-mas pounds and they wouldn't budge. I think my adrenals were shot or it may be peri-menopause which is why I asked about your age and gender.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Lot of new CD members with less than 4 posts in their history here, usually thats a sign of someone soon to post an ad or link to some place to buy something, but anyway.......

Stalina, you are NOT eating enough. If you are breastfeeding you need to get your calories waaaaaaaaay up there. You are not taking in enough for both you and your child.

OP/TSC9013, B12 shots are a bunch of baloney and malarky. Dont waste your money on them. Its a complete and total waste of your money as it does NOTHING for you. Please dont fall for that as its the weight loss equivalent of paying for Enzyte pills to increase that "certain part of the male anatomy" POS that you see on TV. You say you run 1-2 miles on the elliptical, how long does that take you? What I suggest is to up that to 3-5 miles and keep track of your time. Try to do it faster and faster each time out. You should start seeing results that way.
Thanks for the help y'all!
I respectfully disagree but i was shown to be really anemic and b12 deficient and since I've started the B12 shots, I have way more energy, my gums and eyes aren't pale (or I guess my eyes were too white?) and my blood tests are no longer showing I'm anemic. Plus the B12 shots are only $10. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss