Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM

123 posts, read 246,637 times

Advertisements

This diet is making big waves in the UK, and now it is making its way into the US. I have been following it, and apparently it does really work.

What I like about this diet is that it is based on science and research. It also offers health benefits related to the calorie restriction diets.

Here's a recent article in the New York Times.

http://nyti.ms/YT3FO1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,776,249 times
Scroll down this forum for the thread on intermittent fasting, my variation of which is alternate day, or 3-4 fasting.
I started it for life extension, time-saving, and meal-simplification and wound up dropping almost 20 pounds on a 5'1" frame. I LOVE it! And it saves me money too!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Hi Tjardo,

I see your thread. Congrats on the weight loss. Where did you get the idea from? Intermittent fasting has been around for a while, but this idea of fasting two days a week and eating five (thus, the name 5:2), was actually popularized when Dr. Michael Mosely aired his "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" program in the UK back in August 2012.

Mind you, he did not invent the idea, he was doing research for the program and he learned about it after speaking with some researchers in the US. They told him you only have to fast two days a week to get some of the health benefits that those on the Calorie Restrictive diets claim to get.

Mosely went on the diet for health reasons and ended up losing about 20 pounds in the process. Because the program got such a large response in the UK, Mosely wrote a book called "The Fast Diet," which quickly became a top seller in the UK. The book is now available in the US.

Your diet sounds very similar to the one Michael Mosely begin promoting, so that is why I am asking you where you got your inspiration from. I noticed that your first post on intermittent fasting was in November 2012, just a few months after "Eat Fast and Live Longer" aired.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,776,249 times
Default No disrespect but ...

I had no knowledge of the UK story prior to my experience.
I remembered low-cal intake from my experience in college many yrs ago and decided to unearth it on the INTERNET. I gave it a go and it changed a lot about my life.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM

667 posts, read 1,748,677 times
Just started this week. Today is my 2nd day for the week. You do get a little bit of a headache come dinner time but totally manageable. I'm looking to lose about 10 lbs but also looking for the health benefits of the "Fast Diet" or 5:2.

Here's an easy to follow breakdown.
The 5:2 Diet In Action

The only thing I'm finding difficult is the next day after fasting as I take kettle ball classes 3 times a week. So 1/2 way thru my class I was feeling a bit light headed although I had eaten a banana and a spoonful of PB prior to the class.

Anyone doing the 5:2 and also working out the following day?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Headache? Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Easy to get dehydrated when you are not eating. (Most of our H2O comes from the food we eat.)

Try eating more before you go to kettle ball class. The fasting gets easier the more you do it. I'm looking forward to losing a full 10 pounds as well. People who are within healthy BMI range tend to lose about .75 pounds a week. Men might lose a bit more.

Remember to eat protein on fast days. Very important.

Cheers

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM

667 posts, read 1,748,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
Headache? Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Easy to get dehydrated when you are not eating. (Most of our H2O comes from the food we eat.)

Try eating more before you go to kettle ball class. The fasting gets easier the more you do it. I'm looking forward to losing a full 10 pounds as well. People who are within healthy BMI range tend to lose about .75 pounds a week. Men might lose a bit more.

Remember to eat protein on fast days. Very important.

Cheers

The more I've read about it the more I see some folks do experience a little bit of headaches or feeling a bit light headed. I drink plenty of water. I think it may just be my body used to some carb fix. Tonight was my 2nd evening and I feel much better. Had a can of sardines, some veggies (bok choi) and an apple with a teaspoon of vinegar. Delicious and just under 400 calories. Ate 3 steamed eggs this morning (2 with yolk) and one just egg white, so that was my 600 cal day.
I'll weight myself next Tuesday AM to see my results

So far:
Started at 179.5lbs
5'9"
40 years old
male
Fasting Mondays and Wednesdays
My BMI according to the website is at 26.4%
Body Fat - 25%
34" waist
16.5" neck

My current workout :
3 times a week with :50 minute kettle ball training (Not on fast days)
Run approx 6-8 miles 1x a week - about 7-8 minute pace
Play soccer 1x a week - about 2 hours

Target weight
166-169lbs
Looking to get BMI to around 24% and BF to about 18%

Also my LDL levels during my last check up (Feb) were a little on the high side so I'm hoping this fasting 5:2 plan works. I'm also limiting red meat to once a month. Previously it wasn't monitored but I would venture to say I was eating some type of red meat 3x a week or 12x a month.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
This might be an oaky way to lose weight. But what you have to ask yourself, is it sustainable?
Once you go off the 5.2 the weight is going to come right back. If its not a lifestyle change it will not work.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
This might be an oaky way to lose weight. But what you have to ask yourself, is it sustainable?
Once you go off the 5.2 the weight is going to come right back. If its not a lifestyle change it will not work.
Lucky,

You may want to read up on the diet and learn more about it. Because you are only dieting two days a week, it is more sustainable than other diets. Many people have had a good deal of success with it. People are going on the diet, not just to lose weight but for the health benefits, which are similar to the CRON diet. The benefits of fasting are based in science and have been studied for decades.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,852,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
Lucky,

You may want to read up on the diet and learn more about it. Because you are only dieting two days a week, it is more sustainable than other diets. Many people have had a good deal of success with it. People are going on the diet, not just to lose weight but for the health benefits, which are similar to the CRON diet. The benefits of fasting are based in science and have been studied for decades.
I did read up on it. I just think in the long run it is going to be hard for a lot of people to stick with the 2 days of restricted calories. If it works for you great. Let us know how you are doing a year from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss