Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,145,452 times

Advertisements

Currently following the 5:2 Diet to lose weight; have around 40 pounds to lose, about 4/5 pounds down in two weeks. Basically 2 days per week you eat 500 Cals, the rest of the time you eat your normal diet - Although I have been trying to keep this down to below 2000, or lower if possible on "feast" days. I think it would be possible to do a 4:3 Diet to help increase weight loss as it slows down. The idea is when your fasting your burning more fat as opposed to carbs, plus there are other health benefits.

I notice people questioning what you have eaten or wondering why you are eating a small lunch, don't want to look like a complete weirdo and tell them I am intermittent fasting.

You would think you could just be an adult and say I am following a Diet, mind your own Business.

Anyone else find they have "fit in" and almost pretend they are eating more. Also the people questioning what you eat often miss breakfasts and are dieting themselves, etc and just want to encourage to eat more and put on weight. I wonder why someone would be interested so closely in your diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 AM

17,622 posts, read 16,789,226 times
No, I look like I could stand to lose a few pounds so I don't really see anyone "noticing" what I'm eating. People seem to get why I'm eating light. I could probably have 2 baby carrots for lunch and that would be "understandable" - lol. Now if I was on the skinnier side, probably people would notice.

It was much worse when I was heavier...yep, people "noticed" what I ate alright. Ugh. And, of course, any time you drop weight in a dramatic, noticeable fashion people are going to "notice" you and your dietary habits. Just human nature. Try to see the humor in it.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,099,919 times
Try changing to a strict plant based diet (as in mostly whole fresh organic foods and no added oil or sugar)....people had lots of negative things to say especially before I lost 60 pounds...now many ask me to teach them recipes...but there still some smirks and negative comments but almost exclusively from people I know that need to lose 50plus pounds. The best pay back for those negative remarks is to lose the weight and keep it off.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,889,358 times
One of my co-workers is always amused when I bring a salad for my break. I think it's because everyone else usually orders a sandwich from Subway or McDonald's nearby. I just can't jusify spending half an hour's pay on a half-hour break that I don't get paid to take. It'd cost me an hour to take a half hour break and in my head, that's just stupid. So I make my salads in the morning, or bring one of the Healthy Choice entrees I stock up on when I go grocery shopping, when they're on sale for $2 each. She thinks I do it because I'm on a diet. But I'm not on a diet. I just really love salads and I enjoy eating fresh raw foods at least once a day.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 AM

21,009 posts, read 28,615,323 times
I am doing WW and sometimes when I am with my mom she will say things like "can you have that?" "how many points is that"? People who don't understand the weight loss plan you are doing tend to do this or people who who are used you seeing you eat big portions but now you are eating less make comments as well. I tell people "yes I can have it" Sometimes I have to say to my mom in a nice way to mind her own business. If I choose to eat bird food or choose to eat a cheese burger it's my business. My mom does it out of concern because at one time when I was a kid my dad weighed 500 lbs .Obesity & diabetes runs in the family. My mom weighs about 140 but she has to watch it too. You do not have to justify yourself to others. Eat what you like and tell people to mind their own business.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM

17,622 posts, read 16,789,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am doing WW and sometimes when I am with my mom she will say things like "can you have that?" "how many points is that"? People who don't understand the weight loss plan you are doing tend to do this or people who who are used you seeing you eat big portions but now you are eating less make comments as well. I tell people "yes I can have it" Sometimes I have to say to my mom in a nice way to mind her own business. If I choose to eat bird food or choose to eat a cheese burger it's my business. My mom does it out of concern because at one time when I was a kid my dad weighed 500 lbs .Obesity & diabetes runs in the family. My mom weighs about 140 but she has to watch it too. You do not have to justify yourself to others. Eat what you like and tell people to mind their own business.
I don't really mind explaining my diet to people that I go out to lunch with or dine with frequently. Of course, they're going to notice if I suddenly don't want to eat subs and pizza, that sort of thing. Or that I stopped eating the bun, no longer want rice or ONLY eat rice for that matter...I find no reason to be an enigma about it.

But casual observers or people just clearly being nosy or "opinionated" about what/how much/how little I'm eating...no. Explanation not required.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 AM

123 posts, read 246,791 times
I've been fasting too, and I really don't care what people think. I know what weight I want to be, and I know what I'm doing. On the other hand, I don't have the time or energy to defend myself, so if someone doesn't "get it" that's their problem.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 909 times
Hello are all diets good but did they help to you?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,904,261 times
I just try to ignore people, or will make a comment like "Oh, i just had a craving for spinach today". I may give some people a brief explanation, if I think they are receptive to it. Some won't understand, so I won't try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss