Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times

Advertisements

I will always eat whole eggs rather than egg whites because nature made them just perfectly and that's how I eat them... with a couple of slices of crispy bacon..and rye toast with butter.
Fat in the diet keeps me full for a very long time so the next time I eat is usually dinner.
I let my natural desires dictate this meal so I eat either beef (as in a nice grass-fed hamburger or steak or pork chop, or BBQ chicken or ribs, or fish or seafood or vegetables and cheese (think eggplant parm).
Sometimes a mixed salad with eggs or nuts or cheese hits the spot, with eevo and balsamic vinegar.
I have sweets very rarely as I very rarely desire them.
Ice cream or mixed nuts or fresh fruit are my go to snacks 99% of the time.

I eat very lightly about twice a week (under 500 calories) as I just am not that hungry all the time.
I am quite trim and my cholesterol and BP is much lower since I started this regimen in late 2012.
No one will convince me that fat is bad for you.

Refined sugar is slow poison and demands ever greater quantities to satisfy.
The avoidance of fat and the addiction to sweets is, IMO, why so many Americans are fat.

BBC News - Fat in, sugar out: Label creates new food hierarchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:16 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,713 times
Yes, I do.

Raw, unsaleted nuts. Yummy.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
I went to a nutrition coach at the local Vitamin Cottage and she taught me about eating a balanced meal three times a day, which also keeps our blood sugar at proper levels throughout the day.

The nutritional chart looks like a plate divided this way;

50% veggies, especially leafy greens
25% quality proteins, including meats, that's 3 to 3.5 oz per serving, eggs, quinoa, nuts, seeds
12.5% healthy fats, that's butter, ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, etc.
12.5% additional carbs, legumes and grains,
12.5% fruit.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I went to a nutrition coach at the local Vitamin Cottage and she taught me about eating a balanced meal three times a day, which also keeps our blood sugar at proper levels throughout the day.

The nutritional chart looks like a plate divided this way;

50% veggies, especially leafy greens
25% quality proteins, including meats, that's 3 to 3.5 oz per serving, eggs, quinoa, nuts, seeds
12.5% healthy fats, that's butter, ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, etc.
12.5% additional carbs, legumes and grains,
12.5% fruit.
Different nutritionists give varying advice - mine says we don't need additional oils and fats in our diet...eat a balanced diet with natural fats and you should not need to add olive oil or butter or any additional fat - not necessary, unneeded calories. We are extremely healthy and fit and rarely eat anything with additional fat added (although when we eat out I am sure we are getting added fats in some of the foods we order)....we manage to make delicious meals without adding any added fat.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times
My nutritionist used to have that fat paranoia and she was in fact a vegan for a few years. She had to give that up and start eating meats and other healthy fats like butter, olive oil, the fat that comes in grass-fed beef, free range meat, wild caught cold water fish, etc. because a) she developed a thyroid problem and b) she wasn't losing weight anyway.

I'm listening to the nutritionists who lead me towards healthy fats in proper quantity and away from most grains, too many legumes and nuts in an attempt to substitutes meats, etc.

I don't think anybody is going out and eating chunks of butter. They're using it to cook with. I'd say it's better to use butter for light cooking than canola or corn oil. I try to use extra light olive oil or coconut oil for high heat and evoo for flavoring or in my salad. But I'd rather blend up my own salad dressing using citrus fruit and veggies or sometimes I just put homeade salsa on a salad or my homemade pesto.

I'm really healthy now too. I lost about 27 lbs in less than two months and about 40 lbs in four months. I was stuck at 203-207 with a practically vegan diet and dropped to 195 when I dropped some of the quinoa and legumes I was eating and added the grass-fed beef and free range meats and wild caught fish, eggs, etc.

Oh, I also try to eat 51%+ raw vs cooked food at each meal too.

I tried to eat tofu but it didn't work for me. I'd rather eat Applegate Chicken and Maple or Chicken and apple sausage.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-28-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
stop this thread now

fat is fat

there are no "essential" fatty acids
Yeah.

Trans fat = Omega 3 fat

Big Mac fat = Avocado fat

Twinkies fat = Almonds fat

Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
My nutritionist used to have that fat paranoia and she was in fact a vegan for a few years. She had to give that up and start eating meats and other healthy fats like butter, olive oil, the fat that comes in grass-fed beef, free range meat, wild caught cold water fish, etc. because a) she developed a thyroid problem and b) she wasn't losing weight anyway.

I'm listening to the nutritionists who lead me towards healthy fats in proper quantity and away from most grains, too many legumes and nuts in an attempt to substitutes meats, etc.

I don't think anybody is going out and eating chunks of butter. They're using it to cook with. I'd say it's better to use butter for light cooking than canola or corn oil. I try to use extra light olive oil or coconut oil for high heat and evoo for flavoring or in my salad. But I'd rather blend up my own salad dressing using citrus fruit and veggies or sometimes I just put homeade salsa on a salad or my homemade pesto.

I'm really healthy now too. I lost about 27 lbs in less than two months and about 40 lbs in four months. I was stuck at 203-207 with a practically vegan diet and dropped to 195 when I dropped some of the quinoa and legumes I was eating and added the grass-fed beef and free range meats and wild caught fish, eggs, etc.

Oh, I also try to eat 51%+ raw vs cooked food at each meal too.

I tried to eat tofu but it didn't work for me. I'd rather eat Applegate Chicken and Maple or Chicken and apple sausage.

No fat paranoia here - oil is not necessary regardless of what your nutrition person says - butter - not necessary....why eat fat that you don't need. I eat lots of fat - that which is contained in natural whole foods and I am healthier than anyone I know - 63, pain-free, 5'9, 127 lbs.

I am in total agreement that making your own salsa and pesto and even salad dressing (without oil of course) is a good thing - making as many dishes from scratch out of healthy ingredients is absolutely the best way to eat. I eat a 90-95% plant based diet but I do eat some animal products.

I am glad you are healthy and happy with your way of eating - but you don't need that oil/butter you are eating to be healthy and for someone watching their calories - including oil and butter adds a lot of calories that aren't needed.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
I will always eat whole eggs rather than egg whites because nature made them just perfectly and that's how I eat them... with a couple of slices of crispy bacon..and rye toast with butter.
Fat in the diet keeps me full for a very long time so the next time I eat is usually dinner.
I let my natural desires dictate this meal so I eat either beef (as in a nice grass-fed hamburger or steak or pork chop, or BBQ chicken or ribs, or fish or seafood or vegetables and cheese (think eggplant parm).
Sometimes a mixed salad with eggs or nuts or cheese hits the spot, with eevo and balsamic vinegar.
I have sweets very rarely as I very rarely desire them.
Ice cream or mixed nuts or fresh fruit are my go to snacks 99% of the time.
Nature made eggs to create baby chickens...not for people to consume. In any case, from your description it sounds like your diet is short on a number of nutrients. Fatty meats are nutrient poor foods.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Nature eats babies all the time.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Nature eats babies all the time.
Babies get eaten....but that doesn't mean they were made for that purpose. There are good reasons to avoid egg yokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss