Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM

686 posts, read 1,230,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
For the skeptics and those curious, this is what a typical day may entail:

Breakfast:
Coffee with 1 tbsp coconut oil melted in
Two slices of sprouted rye bread (Trader Joe's stuff and naturally low GI), with 2 tbsp almond butter and 1 tbsp of Pollaner All Fruit, 1 small handful of cashews

Lunch:
Avocado
Sardines in Olive Oil
Salad with bacon, olives, carrots, spinach, sunflower seeds, and olive oil

Dinner:
Chicken Thighs OR Chicken Breast with bacon on top to let in grease OR bone-in pork chops in an olive oil rosemary marinade

This is totally cool except for the bacon. I completely eliminated bacon from my nutritional intake a few years ago and have never felt better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Cutting out grains I have no problem with, its pretty standard for those who follow the Paleo way, but increasing fat is absolutely NOT the way to go. If a person is looking to be healthy both inside and out, they do not increase their fat consumption. They just do not.
A lot of people who follow paleo or primal actually do increase their fat intake, especially when compared to the low-fat diet that many followed before they discovered paleo/primal. What is going to happen if a person eats a high fat diet? What are the health effects that you are concerned with?

The link between consuming dietary fat and cholesterol is quite weak, as is the link between cholesterol and heart attacks. But, regardless, the OP increased fat and improved cholesterol anyway. Same thing happened to me when I stopped eating low-fat everything.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM

283 posts, read 385,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
A lot of people who follow paleo or primal actually do increase their fat intake, especially when compared to the low-fat diet that many followed before they discovered paleo/primal. What is going to happen if a person eats a high fat diet? What are the health effects that you are concerned with?

The link between consuming dietary fat and cholesterol is quite weak, as is the link between cholesterol and heart attacks. But, regardless, the OP increased fat and improved cholesterol anyway. Same thing happened to me when I stopped eating low-fat everything.
The biggest problem I had with low-fat was that my tendency to get sick would increase. I would have to take Emergen-C and lots of vitamins to have a chance of not being sick for more than 2 months in a row. 3 months is a short time but haven't been sick the whole time yet. I don't think it was the fat as such I was missing but perhaps some of the immuno-benefits of say the coconut oil.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
This is totally cool except for the bacon. I completely eliminated bacon from my nutritional intake a few years ago and have never felt better.
Cooking with bacon is better for you than "zero cholesterol" oils because the grease is chemically more stable at typical cooking temperatures. But if it works for you, then great!

Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 PM

I think many people saw "high fat" and assumed I was eating processed, fast food, or some other nonsense.

Preparing for this sort of diet is also not easy. We cook our meals ahead of time in the week and get a lot of use out of our Foodsaver to be put in the freezer or fridge. We have a newborn so parenting has become a full-time job of sorts. Doing all this on a Sunday helps out and Pyrex is your friend.

Notice also that sodium would likely be lower on this diet. High blood pressure is possibly correlated to heart disease and it's well known that sodium is very high in artificial stuff.

Deep fried food is also the devil. Trans fats tend to lower your HDL, whereas coconut oil tends to increase it.

Last edited by saigafreak; 04-23-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
The biggest problem I had with low-fat was that my tendency to get sick would increase. I would have to take Emergen-C and lots of vitamins to have a chance of not being sick for more than 2 months in a row. 3 months is a short time but haven't been sick the whole time yet. I don't think it was the fat as such I was missing but perhaps some of the immuno-benefits of say the coconut oil.
It could also have been that you were not absorbing a lot of vitamins that are fat-soluable when you were eating the low-fat diet.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Too simple yet too hard for some folks. Its more fun to deprive yourself of food groups, micromanage food intake, and be able to say the latest craze works for you!
Cutting your lawn with scissors instead of a lawn mower is hard, too. That's why people don't do it. People do what works. Judging them negatively for doing so is usually rather unimpressive.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Why is my LDL down and my HDL up then? Why did I lose weight also and why was the weight loss concentrated around my waist rather than losing muscle? Why is my body fat % down 4%? Why do I never feel tired or hungry or "crave" certain elements? I am curious
You are burning more calories than you are taking in. I eat whole grains, and 'gasp' sugar sometimes. I also eat whole fresh foods, not processed, and I exercise. I had my blood work done this year and my doctor was impressed by my numbers, he said they were perfect.
Now, if your way of eating works for you then stick with it. Everyone is different. The key is to be able to eat healthy from here on out. The failure rate is much higher for people who eliminate foods.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You are burning more calories than you are taking in. I eat whole grains, and 'gasp' sugar sometimes. I also eat whole fresh foods, not processed, and I exercise. I had my blood work done this year and my doctor was impressed by my numbers, he said they were perfect.
Now, if your way of eating works for you then stick with it. Everyone is different. The key is to be able to eat healthy from here on out. The failure rate is much higher for people who eliminate foods.
That worked for me in my 20s. Then something called insulin resistance took over very slowly. Insulin resistance is like farsightedness. EVERYONE gets it eventually if they consistently consume lots of whole grains, starches and/or sugar. I just got it quicker than you did. A high fat diet works for everyone of any age.

This diet is a forever diet. I LOVE fat, I love the way it tastes, and never really had much of a sweet tooth. I can add a small snack here and there once I'm in "maintenance" mode (below 20% body fat). I have zero problem saying goodbye to ice cream, high fructose sodas and chocolate bars.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
That worked for me in my 20s. Then something called insulin resistance took over very slowly. Insulin resistance is like farsightedness. EVERYONE gets it eventually if they consistently consume lots of whole grains, starches and/or sugar. I just got it quicker than you did. A high fat diet works for everyone of any age.

This diet is a forever diet. I LOVE fat, I love the way it tastes, and never really had much of a sweet tooth. I can add a small snack here and there once I'm in "maintenance" mode (below 20% body fat). I have zero problem saying goodbye to ice cream, high fructose sodas and chocolate bars.
A high fat diet DOES NOT work for everyone. I am 52 and I have no problem with insulin resistance. And actual whole grains are quite good for you. They provide fiber, vitamins and minerals.
How long have you been on this high fat diet? High fat diets are dangerous in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss