Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM

283 posts, read 385,611 times

Advertisements

Watched it about 3 months ago. It completely changed my life. Got off the low-fat craze and started a high-fat/high-saturated diet. It is NOT Atkins BTW, since fruit and nuts are welcomed and the focus is on keeping insulin levels low rather than saying all carbs are the devil, and focuses on keeping inflammation in the body lower. Lost 10 lbs., raised HDL, lowered LDL, mental well-being is far better than when I was keeping fat low, and don't get 3pm carb crashes at work. Low-fat diets have, over time, screwed up my metabolism along with age of course.

The movie has a certain anti-government bias to it, but if you cut through that part (whether or not you agree with it), and stick around for the latter half of the movie, you start getting to the heart (pun intended) of the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:07 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times
You would be better off placing a Saiga in your mouth Saigafreak.

High fat diet is not healthy.

Whatever happened to the days when people cared about eating healthy? Not just the latest fad type diets, or whatever lose weight quick by eating "this" scheme? Eat right, exercise and all will be right in the world.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
You would be better off placing a Saiga in your mouth Saigafreak.

High fat diet is not healthy.

Whatever happened to the days when people cared about eating healthy? Not just the latest fad type diets, or whatever lose weight quick by eating "this" scheme? Eat right, exercise and all will be right in the world.
Too simple yet too hard for some folks. Its more fun to deprive yourself of food groups, micromanage food intake, and be able to say the latest craze works for you!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Too simple yet too hard for some folks. Its more fun to deprive yourself of food groups, micromanage food intake, and be able to say the latest craze works for you!
Should I start eating whole grains/sugar again?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why is my LDL down and my HDL up then? Why did I lose weight also and why was the weight loss concentrated around my waist rather than losing muscle? Why is my body fat % down 4%? Why do I never feel tired or hungry or "crave" certain elements? I am curious

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM

How did you get your body fat % tested?

Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
How did you get your body fat % tested?
Scale. Yes, not accurate for day to day but it was done after 3 months. Before: 25.2%, after: 21%.

I thought I'd miss pasta but spaghetti squash works great for me, along with plenty of 85% beef.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
For whatever reason there are several posters on this board that are very threatened by anyone who has had success by cutting out grains and increasing the fat in their diet. Why this is I have no idea. It's the main reason I've pretty much stopped posting on the health and fitness boards here.

I get that not everyone has the mental strength to break out of the "healthy whole grains" cycle, but man, why is there so much hostility for those who do? Why does it bother people so much that I don't eat bread? I've never said they can't have it... heck, if anything they should be happy because there's more bread, pasta and cake for them!

I've seen Fat Head and I agree that what he did in that movie works. I also don't eat grains and no longer worry about fat content and have seen many benefits to eating this way. I will not go back to eating grains "in moderation" or at all when I can avoid them. The mental clarity alone is worth the effort it takes to be grain free. The fact that my health is better in general and I've lost weight is nice too.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM

For the skeptics and those curious, this is what a typical day may entail:

Breakfast:
Coffee with 1 tbsp coconut oil melted in
Two slices of sprouted rye bread (Trader Joe's stuff and naturally low GI), with 2 tbsp almond butter and 1 tbsp of Pollaner All Fruit, 1 small handful of cashews
2 tbsp of raw flax seed

Lunch:
Avocado
Sardines in Olive Oil
Salad with bacon, olives, carrots, spinach, sunflower seeds, and olive oil
Fresh fruit

Dinner:
Chicken Thighs OR Chicken Breast with bacon on top to let in grease OR bone-in pork chops in an olive oil rosemary marinade
veggies with plenty of butter, sometimes cheese
Fresh fruit

The only oils we stock in our pantry are ghee (clarified butter), coconut, avocado and olive oil. NO "zero cholesterol" artificially processed cr@p oils like vegetable, corn or canola oils. Also no peanut, saffflower, soybean, etc oil. All oils are cooked well below smoking point to prevent oxidation.

I am constantly tweaking the diet, now to include more Omega-3s and decrease Omega-6s. I cherry picked from the primal, mediterranean, Paleo, and low GI diets what I think work and what I think do not work. We are also going to start getting grass fed meats as the O3/O6 ratio is more favorable (NIH article here). To cut costs we will buy cheaper parts such as higher fat chicken thighs rather than breasts.

Fat will often be at around 120-150 grams per day, and about 25-35% of that saturated. The fat is burned through normal activities and by walking briskly about 1 mile/day. If the fat were not burned, I would gain weight. The fact I lose weight proves the fat does not stay long in my body, nor is it being oxidized and entering my artery walls. My triglycerides are also down, which means my LDL is being converted into more benign type A LDL rather than the dense type B stuff.

This diet is not for those with a big sweet tooth, but I am never hungry and unlike Atkins I do not lose strength during weightlifting and I am not suffering from insomnia.

Last edited by saigafreak; 04-23-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
For whatever reason there are several posters on this board that are very threatened by anyone who has had success by cutting out grains and increasing the fat in their diet. .
Cutting out grains I have no problem with, its pretty standard for those who follow the Paleo way, but increasing fat is absolutely NOT the way to go. If a person is looking to be healthy both inside and out, they do not increase their fat consumption. They just do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss