Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
You might enjoy the Fast Metabolism Diet. It is tough to stick to, but it does work. It's truly a diet in that it is something you do strictly for a defined period of time (28 days, in this case).

I've done it, ignoring the portions, and managed to lose weight. It's stayed off even though I'm no longer strictly following her advice. It may be worth a shot for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Metabolis...etabolism+diet
Wow! That might work with a liberal amount of exercise. I know sweets taste great, but they also boost my appetite. If I could eliminate them from my diet, I would probably lose weight, as the bulk of my diet is the healthy stuff, like fruit, vegetables, grains, fish, etc. Plus, without sweets to encourage me to go back for seconds, I would probably eat a lot less. Milk is a problem, too, because after drinking a glass, I want to go to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Wow! That might work with a liberal amount of exercise. I know sweets taste great, but they also boost my appetite. If I could eliminate them from my diet, I would probably lose weight, as the bulk of my diet is the healthy stuff, like fruit, vegetables, grains, fish, etc. Plus, without sweets to encourage me to go back for seconds, I would probably eat a lot less. Milk is a problem, too, because after drinking a glass, I want to go to sleep.
It does work. One of the pluses is that it actually doesn't require a ton of exercise. I cut down on my exercise when I do it. So, if you can really commit for 28 days then it's worth a shot.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Really bad advice to "cut down" on your exercise. Cutting down on exercise is never a good idea unless you are injured or at the advice of your doctor. Exercise every single day even if it is just a walk around the block.

Again - go to your doctor and start there. There is no short-cut to learning how to eat properly and retraining your brain to not reach for sugary, fattening foods- it is hard work and a life-long commitment - not something you try for 28 days.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Really bad advice to "cut down" on your exercise. Cutting down on exercise is never a good idea unless you are injured or at the advice of your doctor. Exercise every single day even if it is just a walk around the block.

Again - go to your doctor and start there. There is no short-cut to learning how to eat properly and retraining your brain to not reach for sugary, fattening foods- it is hard work and a life-long commitment - not something you try for 28 days.
And to reiterate the point I've made in threads where "miracle diets" are advertised:

If the ONLY thing you want to do is lose weight, then stop eating. Stop eating until you've lost all the weight you want to lose. Stop eating EVERYTHING. Not for 4 days, not for 24 hours, not for 28 days. Stop until all the weight is gone. You are _guaranteed_ to lose weight that way.

You won't be healthy, and you might even die of starvation if you aren't caught and sent to the hospital with IV nutrition pumped into your body. But you will have lost weight.

If you want to lose weight and be HEALTHY, then nutritionally-dense foods in modest portions, exercise every day, get as many of every nutrient your body requires by consuming actual food (as opposed to supplements, herbs, drugs, injections, mouth washes, gum, inhalants). You WILL lose the weight. It probably won't all come off in 28 days but hey - it didn't take you 28 days to gain it either.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM

This wouldn't be healthy, but I wonder if I could lose weight if I ate ONLY chocolate, for example, a small chocolate bar for breakfast, a small one for lunch, and a small one for dinner. They are only about 200 calories a piece, so that would be a total of 600 calories at the end of the day, assuming I had no snacks in between. I may be able to get away with snacking on an orange or an apple. I would probably get sick of the taste of chocolate and start craving real food as a bonus.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Anon - can't rep you any more - system says I need to "spread" it around to others but as usual, good advice. I have obese friends and they are always on some crazy diet that they can never stick to because it isn't satisfying, healthy and or sustainable - they lose a few lbs. and gain it all back and then some. Take it from someone who has lost 80 lbs. and kept it off......making lifestyle changes is hard, slow work - painful sometimes but so worth it in the long run

Old 06-28-2014, 04:42 PM

kmb501 yes, you can lose weight by eating 600 calories of chocolate, and nothing else. You'll be malnourished and end up in the hospital at some point during your adventure, but you will be svelte and slender when they wheel you up to your IV nutrition bag.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
kmb501 yes, you can lose weight by eating 600 calories of chocolate, and nothing else. You'll be malnourished and end up in the hospital at some point during your adventure, but you will be svelte and slender when they wheel you up to your IV nutrition bag.
Joking aside, the fast metabolism diet sounds like a good idea. I think I will give it a shot. Really, though, I only eat to chew; it's a nervous habit. If I had something else tasty to chew that didn't add calories, I would probably have an easy time losing weight, because the bulk of my calories is consumed through small unhealthy snacks that I toss into my mouth throughout the day just to have something in my mouth! I kind of wish they made flavored chew toys for people!

Old 06-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Joking aside, the fast metabolism diet sounds like a good idea. I think I will give it a shot. Really, though, I only eat to chew; it's a nervous habit. If I had something else tasty to chew that didn't add calories, I would probably have an easy time losing weight, because the bulk of my calories is consumed through small unhealthy snacks that I toss into my mouth throughout the day just to have something in my mouth!
There's this awesome new invention, perhaps you've heard of it:

Gum.

Last edited by AnonChick; 06-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: edited to add a smiley to indicate a joke

Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's this awesome new invention, perhaps you've heard of it:

Gum.
I already told all of you why gum doesn't work. It doesn't taste or feel like food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss