Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,117 times

Advertisements

Hey, if you are a snacker (as I was), drink a glass of cold water and wait 15-20 minutes before deciding on whether you are truly hungry or if you were thirsty. Our body often confuses thirst for hunger and we consume empty calories to satisfy our cravings.

If you must snack, opt for a piece of fruit or veggies, as opposed to prepackaged snacks and foods.

If you are an emotional eater (I was and can still be), take yourself out of that stressful environment and refocus your attention elsewhere. I like to take a bottle of water and walk my dog for 15 minutes or so. It let's him get out and I get to enjoy alone time and leave an environment that may cause me to feel stressed.

For me the biggest tip for weight loss was eating 5-6 small meals a day. I never felt hungry or unsatisfied and I never had the time to indulge in unhealthy meals. If I did become hungry, I would reach for an apple(I hate them though), a banana or a pear. I also went through this phase where I loved sugar snap peas.

And I made sure that each of these meals or snacks had protein. So I would snack on 0% fat greek yogurt, add a tablespoon of chia and use it as a dip for my apples (I would cut them into slices).

But following a schedule helped so much.

And when I go grocery shopping I won't buy junk food, because then I'm inviting temptation into the house. At this point, I can buy a bag of chips ahoy and eat just 3 cookies, without eating an entire row. But I literally had to cut junk food out of my life for a while, until I knew that I could enjoy just 2 or 3 cookies and be satisfied.

It was really about a lifestyle change because realistically I can't cut out everything I enjoy and not go insane. But at the same time I have to know that when I treat myself, that small treat starts and ends there, it shouldn't turn into a 2 day binge.

And before I do eat anything, I ask myself how it will benefit my body. Is it going to give me more energy to push through a workout? Will it provide me with nutrients to keep my body healthy? Is it packed with iron?(I'm anemic). Is it packed with fiber and protein which will keep me full?

And I do have rules for myself. No fast food Monday through Friday, and no midnight snacks. That said I also have up fast food because I don't trust how the food is handled, so it wasn't just for weight loss. But it has saved me calories and money. Also, no liquid calories for me. I do drink teas, my favorites being green, white, oolong and ginger.

And then there is exercise. I would recommend working your way up to at least 30 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week. It could be brisk walking, swimming, Zumba or a video online. Leslie Sansones "Walk Away the pounds" is a very popular at home workout. Some of the workouts are on YouTube.
Fitness blender has some great videos as well.
Weight training is also essential in weight loss.

So you need a calorie deficit, and to burn more calories than you take in. I don't know what your calorie I take is but you should not go below 1200. I would stick around the 1500 range.

Sorry for typos. On my phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
I think you need to get at the underlying root of your anxiety issues. Without addressing that, it will be hard to focus on the food part. It is definitely possible you are depressed, or could have some other issue as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Either I've been eating too much, or my metabolism has slowed down a bit. I'm still an okay weight for my height, but I want to lose about twenty pounds. My tummy is messing up my hourglass shape! I also don't want to gain anymore weight.

Bad habits I've developed:
Not walking as much as I used to...
Eating whatever I want...
Eating when I'm not hungry, nervous eating to get my mind offer of other concerns.
Eating when I'm thirsty...
Drinking soda, tea, and sugary drinks instead of water...
Surfing the Internet and sleeping most of the day...
Stressing myself out...
Eating sugary things rich in simple carbohydrates...
Ignoring when I'm full and continuing to eat...
Staying up late...
Eating too much food, healthy or not.

Good habits I need to develop:
Walking regularly...
Eating only when I'm hungry...
Eating healthy food...
Does anyone have more suggestions?
motivation and sheer willpower.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 12,978 times
I've been taking all natural supplements, exercising several times a week, and drinking lots of water. I aim to drink half my body weight in water daily. It really does help you flush everything out.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaPlexus View Post
I've been taking all natural supplements, exercising several times a week, and drinking lots of water. I aim to drink half my body weight in water daily. It really does help you flush everything out.
You can die from drinking too much water. Your plan is flawed and unnecessary.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 12,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
You can die from drinking too much water. Your plan is flawed and unnecessary.
I am sorry but drinking water is very important to weight loss. Especially if you are replacing high sugar drinks like soda with water. Drinking water is the way to flush out the toxins out of your body. And considering I didn't type out my entire plan and what I do it is very hard to say that it is flawed.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaPlexus View Post
I am sorry but drinking water is very important to weight loss. Especially if you are replacing high sugar drinks like soda with water. Drinking water is the way to flush out the toxins out of your body. And considering I didn't type out my entire plan and what I do it is very hard to say that it is flawed.
I don't need to know your plan....drinking half your weight in water each day is dangerous. Educate yourself before you make yourself ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss