Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,618 times

Advertisements

Either I've been eating too much, or my metabolism has slowed down a bit. I'm still an okay weight for my height, but I want to lose about twenty pounds. My tummy is messing up my hourglass shape! I also don't want to gain anymore weight.

Bad habits I've developed:
Not walking as much as I used to...
Eating whatever I want...
Eating when I'm not hungry, nervous eating to get my mind offer of other concerns.
Eating when I'm thirsty...
Drinking soda, tea, and sugary drinks instead of water...
Surfing the Internet and sleeping most of the day...
Stressing myself out...
Eating sugary things rich in simple carbohydrates...
Ignoring when I'm full and continuing to eat...
Staying up late...
Eating too much food, healthy or not.

Good habits I need to develop:
Walking regularly...
Eating only when I'm hungry...
Eating healthy food...
Does anyone have more suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 05:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Either I've been eating too much, or my metabolism has slowed down a bit. I'm still an okay weight for my height, but I want to lose about twenty pounds. My tummy is messing up my hourglass shape! I also don't want to gain anymore weight.

Eating when I'm not hungry, nervous eating to get my mind offer of other concerns.
Stressing myself out...
Staying up late...

Walking regularly...
Eating healthy food...
Do core exercises in addition to walking, to strengthen the muscles of your abdomen and back.
Drink water. Just plain old normal unflavored water, from the tap or from a bottle.
Get up in the morning, make a task-list, complete the task-list, and go to sleep before midnite.
Get a job (if you're surfing the net and sleeping all day, I'm assuming you're not working).
You can still eat whatever you want, you just have to stop eating so much of it.

All this eating eating eating sounds like you might have an eating disorder, or maybe some form of depression. Do a little self-reflection on that and if you agree that it's more than just a bad habit, see a therapist or counselor or some other mental-health professional.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Do core exercises in addition to walking, to strengthen the muscles of your abdomen and back.
Drink water. Just plain old normal unflavored water, from the tap or from a bottle.
Get up in the morning, make a task-list, complete the task-list, and go to sleep before midnite.
Get a job (if you're surfing the net and sleeping all day, I'm assuming you're not working).
You can still eat whatever you want, you just have to stop eating so much of it.

All this eating eating eating sounds like you might have an eating disorder, or maybe some form of depression. Do a little self-reflection on that and if you agree that it's more than just a bad habit, see a therapist or counselor or some other mental-health professional.
Thanks for the suggestions. The eating is part of a compulsive habit. I have to chew to keep my mind occupied. It leads to a lot of distracted eating, and, no matter what I eat, I always eat too much of it, apparently. I don't know. I don't often count calories, and distracted eating keeps me from recognizing if I'm full. This is a habit I need to break. I think it started after I got very sick and ate constantly to keep myself going. I wasn't gaining weight then; now I am. In fact, I need to slow it down.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The eating is part of a compulsive habit. I have to chew to keep ny mind occupied. It leads to a lot if distracted eating, and, no matter what I eat, I always eat too much of it, apparently. I don't know. I don't often count calories.5
You can use one of the online services with apps for your smart phone to track calories. Takes less than 5 minutes to input what you just finished eating, for a meal. Less than 1 minute to input an individual item if you're just having a snack.

Do that for 2-3 days - just to see what you're REALLY eating, and how many calories, fat/carb/protein and sodium grams it consists of.

Once you get a 2-3 day "snapshot" of your actual eating habits (as opposed to your assumed eating habits or what you think you're probably eating)...

You can use that snapshot to pare down what you shouldn't eat, and increase what you should eat. You can also keep track of your exercising on them - you set goals and keep track of everything, and it tells you how close to your goals you've gotten, or even if you've exceeded them.

I use myfitnesspal (it's free), but there are plenty of other free systems to help.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,739,230 times
Find someone to walk and exercise with. This helps me I'm accountable to another person and I also get some social interaction at the same time. Set a timer to control the amount of computer time you spend, it's easy to waste a couple of hours without realizing it. Turn on some music and dance, good exercise and mood lifter. Set an alarm each morning then stay up don't nap try to get in bed around 11:00, you need to reset your body clock. Don't bring junk food in the house.
Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
At the supermarket never walk up the cracker, soda, chips, bread or cookie aisles...ever.
What is that stuff doing in your house anyway?!

Eat all you want ... of chicken breasts,steamed or sauteed vegetables,
apples, salads, grilled fish, cottage cheese, tuna fish salad...you get the picture.
Fill up on those...in 2 weeks if you had any of the other 'cr*p', you'll say
How could I have eaten that stuff? Ick.

Surround yourself with healthy books on things like...testimonials on following the
South Beach Diet, Mediteranian, Paleo and healthy cookbooks with
photos from, say, Weight Watchers or Atkins or The Biggest Loser..whatever, to keep your mind
on healthy eating.

Put a magazine photo up of what you want to look like again...as a goal.

When you see soda or pizza or drive by Fast Food...say in your mind or out loud..."This is poison."
Reprogram your mind, in other words. And never have 'easy' snack food around.

Don't let yourself ever feel so hungry you are ravenous...that's when you make the
worst choices.

Just some ideas. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
At the supermarket never walk up the cracker, soda, chips, bread or cookie aisles...ever.
What is that stuff doing in your house anyway?!

Eat all you want ... of chicken breasts,steamed or sauteed vegetables,
apples, salads, grilled fish, cottage cheese, tuna fish salad...you get the picture.
Fill up on those...in 2 weeks if you had any of the other 'cr*p', you'll say
How could I have eaten that stuff? Ick.

Surround yourself with healthy books on things like...testimonials on following the
South Beach Diet, Mediteranian, Paleo and healthy cookbooks with
photos from, say, Weight Watchers or Atkins or The Biggest Loser..whatever, to keep your mind
on healthy eating.

Put a magazine photo up of what you want to look like again...as a goal.

When you see soda or pizza or drive by Fast Food...say in your mind or out loud..."This is poison."
Reprogram your mind, in other words. And never have 'easy' snack food around.

Don't let yourself ever feel so hungry you are ravenous...that's when you make the
worst choices.

Just some ideas. Good luck.
I'm not a big fan of grease, but I do like sugar. Usually, though, I satisfy this craving with cereal and sometimes homemade oatmeal cookies. I didn't think these were terribly unhealthy. Grains are supposed to be good for the body.

I'm already quite a vegetable eater, but I've gotten into the habit of distracted eating and nervous chewing, usually food. I like having something in my mouth, because it calms me. I know that's a silly habit, and since it leads to overeating, it could be quite unhealthy. I could chew other things, though, although I'm not sure what. Eating non-food wouldn't be healthy, either. I thought about maybe trying to replace nervous chewing with nervous beverage drinking or something that would result in consuming less calories, but I like to chew. If you have a suggestion of something healthy that I could chew besides gum, please let me know. Gum doesn't have a satisfying "food" flavor, and the sensation it gives the mouth is not a pleasant as, say, a leafy green or juicy piece of fruit.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
I think you probably need to get some professional help to get yourself on the right path - someone to guide you as to diet, portion size, etc. with weigh-ins for accountability - many hospitals have weight loss clinics that are often included in health insurance plans - they often have group walking schedules, etc. Sugar is addictive - I know from experience. You also need to do something productive with your time - we humans are meant to work so that at the end of the day we have a sense of accomplishment and self-worth. So maybe some counseling as well....the problems you are experiencing are all fixable but you will have to be proactive in getting the help that you need. I would start by talking to your doctor about the things you have posted here. Good luck to you.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:

Stressing myself out...
Staying up late...

Walking regularly...
Eating healthy food...
I have a couple suggestions. First spend some time at Walmart and look at some of the overweight people, and think about how they got to where they are. Second, read this article in Time Magazine TIME - Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews This article talks about some of the latest research on diets. Your diet and lifestyle will soon have you looking like some of the obese people you see at Walmart and increases your liklihood of developing diabetes.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,993,259 times
You might enjoy the Fast Metabolism Diet. It is tough to stick to, but it does work. It's truly a diet in that it is something you do strictly for a defined period of time (28 days, in this case).

I've done it, ignoring the portions, and managed to lose weight. It's stayed off even though I'm no longer strictly following her advice. It may be worth a shot for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Metabolis...etabolism+diet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss