Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
Why would your partner let you get to that point, if he cares so much about fitness??
It's an example; nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:50 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
I take care of my health and workout and I would likely only marry someone with similar interests. Why would I not marry someone with a similar lifestyle?

Because some overweight folks on the internet have deemed said interests as shallow/superficial?

Most of the posts (from women) are rather naive on here, and it's actually embarrassing for them.

You didn't answer my question. If I put on 200 lbs and end up weighing 312 due to me being reckless, why would my partner stay with me? So that I could end up on a TLC show where they have to bulldozer me out?
Well, again, the OP doesn't seem to be about women (or a woman) who gained weight after they became exclusive. But to address one angle of your question: what if your partner developed a medical condition that caused them to gain weight out of control, until they found someone to diagnose and treat it? Or what if it wasn't treatable? Or what if they gave birth to your child, and a hormone imbalance resulted, causing them to gain weight? Would you just walk away? Some people are able to lose weight to correct for situations like that, some aren't. And how long would you be willing to wait for an SO to get control of the situation, and get in shape? Months? A year or two? Isn't sticking around what being supportive is about?

Old 07-01-2014, 12:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,281,457 times
Quote:
It's an example; nice try though.
It's not an example. I've asked you the question twice and you keep ignoring it.

This thread is not about whether or not you should keep in shape. It's about whether or not a man should tell a woman that he's dating that she is overweight. The answer to that question varies depending upon the type of relationship.

Therefore, if you choose a partner who likes women with your body type, and your body type changes, shouldn't he stop you from packing on 200 lbs. before it gets to that point, using your point of view?

This is what I'm asking you. Stop trying to be snarky and just answer the question.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:52 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
No, I wouldn't leave a partner who gets cancer or terminal illness. I think it's pretty odd how you've made that assumption and actually pretty over dramatic. I thought you were a male? Cause that was a pretty woman like response.
You're just being ridiculously insensitive about this topic. Your fat bashing just doesn't jive with me.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM

374 posts, read 393,553 times
Quote:
The number(s) don't necessarily matter, which is something men always say. I don't even understand mens weight (in terms of height/weight #s) so I can't really give you an example of what I would deem acceptable.

Also, i'm not attracted to meatheads or bodybuilers. So while I would like someone who works out and eats healthy, it shouldn't be one extreme or the other.

So yeah, I'd date a tubby guy assuming he's into a similar lifestyle.

The guy i'm seeing now works out, eats healthy etc. I am attracted to his body. He's not skinny but not chunky.
That's kind of the point I was getting at. If eating healthy and working out is a big part of your life, and it's not for someone you're dating, then I can see how that relationship would go south. I see nothing shallow about that.

However, if you were dating someone that was into that stuff with you, but for whatever reason wasn't losing weight and you left them, then Id say that's shallow.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
I take care of my health and workout and I would likely only marry someone with similar interests. Why would I not marry someone with a similar lifestyle?

Because some overweight folks on the internet have deemed said interests as shallow/superficial?

Most of the posts (from women) are rather naive on here, and it's actually embarrassing for them.

You didn't answer my question. If I put on 200 lbs and end up weighing 312 due to me being reckless, why would my partner stay with me? So that I could end up on a TLC show where they have to bulldozer me out?
It's your diction that shows just how naive you are. The hell I am naive. I can support and back up my position, easily. I know what current nutrition and obesity research says. I've spent years studying it. I've also lost well over 100 lbs by implementing the methods of the current data.

And still firmly hold the position that your "belief," your approach, is not only naive, but downright fallacious, erroneous, and simple-minded. It lacks understanding for why this epidemic exists, and no, it has little to do with "reckless eating and laziness," an uninformed belief, a misconception. When we know better, we do better. When we have better, current, research, we make better, educated, informed decisions. If, say, Susie is not familiar with current research then she's less likely to make better, sound, and healthier decisions that are sustainable.

If Susie has been following the protocol of the standard American diet and CW, and doesn't know of any other approach, it stands to reason that she will struggle and face challenges as a result of the information she has received. She and many others. If someone is fed bad information in the guise of "medical advice" how is it reckless? If said bad information induced a metabolic response that then contributed to more excess weight gain, it is not a situation of laziness or lack of "willpower." It is a metabolic, hormonal issue that needs to first be understood before going any further. One can not effectively solve a problem without knowing the proper steps to solve it, and those proper steps of "join a gym and put the chips down" are not it. If it were the case then more and more people should be "getting fit" since this dogma is so heavily preached. Perhaps a simple lesson on hormones and their physiologic effects is in order. Simply being active and participating in mud races does not mean one is knowledgeable and informed on current research, and the ill effects of the standard American diet.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
It's not an example. I've asked you the question twice and you keep ignoring it.

This thread is not about whether or not you should keep in shape. It's about whether or not a man should tell a woman that he's dating that she is overweight. The answer to that question varies depending upon the type of relationship.

Therefore, if you choose a partner who likes women with your body type, and your body type changes, shouldn't he stop you from packing on 200 lbs. before it gets to that point, using your point of view?

This is what I'm asking you. Stop trying to be snarky and just answer the question.
I would never allow myself to get into that position. It was a hypothetical situation and you know it. So stop playing dumb (perhaps that cannot be controlled)

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
That's kind of the point I was getting at. If eating healthy and working out is a big part of your life, and it's not for someone you're dating, then I can see how that relationship would go south. I see nothing shallow about that.

However, if you were dating someone that was into that stuff with you, but for whatever reason wasn't losing weight and you left them, then Id say that's shallow.
I don't see the point of dating someone who you think needs to lose weight (unless you're dating someone who just so happens to be in the process of weight loss).

Although last weeks episode of True Life on MTV mirrored the situations where the men knowingly entered into relationship with overweight women and then began pushing the women to lose weight.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, again, the OP doesn't seem to be about women (or a woman) who gained weight after they became exclusive. But to address one angle of your question: what if your partner developed a medical condition that caused them to gain weight out of control, until they found someone to diagnose and treat it? Or what if it wasn't treatable? Or what if they gave birth to your child, and a hormone imbalance resulted, causing them to gain weight? Would you just walk away? Some people are able to lose weight to correct for situations like that, some aren't. And how long would you be willing to wait for an SO to get control of the situation, and get in shape? Months? A year or two? Isn't sticking around what being supportive is about?
If they develop a condition, that's different. But i'm assuming in this situation we're talking about someone who just doesn't work out, eat healthy and continues to put on weight.

Perhaps I should marry a foreigner because all of these diseases that cause massive weight gain seem to only exist in the US...

Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,450,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It's your diction that shows just how naive you are. The hell I am naive. I can support and back up my position, easily. I know what current nutrition and obesity research says. I've spent years studying it. I've also lost well over 100 lbs by implementing the methods of the current data.
Can you please, PLEASE! link those methods you used to lose those pounds? Or even your source for that info. I need to lose pounds so is my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss