Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,639,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Don't tell me "you don't" ! There has to be some way to bring it up and encourage / support , ask them to loose weight and get in shape without hurting their feelings. I know being pushy or rude is no way to go but somebody has had to have hit on the exact combination of timing and words to pull it off
"You need to get in shape."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 AM

639 posts, read 679,890 times
The best way to tell the women to get in shape is "just give her positive compliment with negativity" Something like this "You are looking nice but I think if you loose your wait a bit you look gorgeous." Its really works..

Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 AM

957 posts, read 1,062,018 times
Quote:
Don't tell me "you don't" ! There has to be some way to bring it up and encourage / support , ask them to loose weight and get in shape without hurting their feelings. I know being pushy or rude is no way to go but somebody has had to have hit on the exact combination of timing and words to pull it off
Don't say anything and you start living a healthier lifestyle, maybe she'll follow suit!

You can't force people into things - they have to do it for themselves.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,337,846 times
Quote:

I "strongly suggest" you don't.
Honestly it is none of your business how someone else treats their own body.
You can either accept that the change is not going to be made until they are ready to make the change without your helpful (hurtful) hints that they need to lose (not LOOSE) weight and get into better shape.
If you don't accept that the change is not going to be made that is your issue alone and you need to decide what your next step will be.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relationshippro View Post
The best way to tell the women to get in shape is "just give her positive compliment with negativity" Something like this "You are looking nice but I think if you loose your wait a bit you look gorgeous." Its really works..

Seriously?
If you can't spell it properly then you cannot suggest it, that is a law written somewhere I'm sure.

If you tell someone they will look gorgeous if they "lose weight" you might just get knocked out into left field.
Keep your opinions to yourself no matter who it is, their body, their choice and nothing is going to change that choice until they, themselves decide a change needs to be made.
NO suggestion or hint is going to be helpful on any level.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 AM

706 posts, read 1,206,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
Don't say anything and you start living a healthier lifestyle, maybe she'll follow suit!

You can't force people into things - they have to do it for themselves.
This! Stop going out to eat, start going on hikes or higher active things instead. When you do eat with her start only eating very healthy food and tell her that you want to lose weight or get in better shape. That should motivate her.

She has to want a lifestyle change. I agree with others dieting only brings the weight back in time she needs to start incorporating exercise into her life because she wants it.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i can tell you what not to do- don't give her an exercise video for Christmas

Something else a friend of mine learned the hard way, even if she asks for the WII workout thingy for Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, Ground Hog Day.............Do Not Get It For Her.
The end result will be the same as giving her an exercise video.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,285,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Seriously?
If you can't spell it properly then you cannot suggest it, that is a law written somewhere I'm sure.

If you tell someone they will look gorgeous if they "lose weight" you might just get knocked out into left field.
Keep your opinions to yourself no matter who it is, their body, their choice and nothing is going to change that choice until they, themselves decide a change needs to be made.
NO suggestion or hint is going to be helpful on any level.
Yes!! Thank you!!

People, the word is "lose." FFS, it's a long "O" sound, so you shouldn't even think that there is a double oo in it anyway. I know the English language is difficult and full of inconsistencies, but this is pretty basic.

To answer the OP's question, is this a woman you are dating?

If so:

Don't say anything.

If not:

Don't say anything.

I'm not really sure what your end game is here, but if it is that you want her to be more attractive to YOU, then that's just pretty damn selfish. Either don't date someone who isn't attractive to you, or accept her for who she is. Don't expect someone to change just for you.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,170,555 times
You encourage a healthy lifestyle with you, or you need to accept that she doesn't want the same things. Get YOUR life together and encourage she participates with you. Say that this is important to you (yours and her health), and it would mean a lot to you if she participated. Do NOT make it seem like you think she needs to lose a few pounds. Chances are she already knows, or her doctor has told her if it's a health issue.

If you started dating a woman who has never worked out, and has never cared to, please don't be surprised. You need to accept it (or not).

Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
Probably the same way you would broach the topic with your parent, grandparent, son, daughter, friend, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss