Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM

4,567 posts, read 5,437,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
I've tried that in the past , no matter how I put it they always say " so your telling me I'm fat " and get mad about it .
Use a more passive approaches like:

"Wow, check out ESPN showing the women of the Crossfit games. These women are incredible with the shape they are in. They look amazing and sexy"

"One of the female instructors at the gym complimented me today on my abs. It really made me feel great that she noticed me. It was cool that someone like her who is so busy and in demand by clients and is also in outstanding shape came over to specifically compliment me"

"Some young ladies asked to feel my bicep and they were all like "Ooooooooo...wow!!! that is so sexy""

You need to follow up with enthusiastically saying "It was so cool" or "It was awesome" or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,040,593 times
When you get right down to it, if you cannot love someone for who they are then find someone you CAN love for who they are.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
You don't. But you can invite her to join you on "active" things. Suggest talking a fitness or dance class together, stuff like that.

And don't forget it is infinitely harder for the average man to lose weight, particularly compared to men, so don't be shocked when you lose 20 pounds and she loses 5 and hardly sees any changes.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,752,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
When you get right down to it, if you cannot love someone for who they are then find someone you CAN love for who they are.
I agree.

Pressuring someone to lose weight only makes them resent you. It's a lose-lose situation any which way you look at it.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,646,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecross View Post
So are men supposed to tolerate fat women? Do women tolerate men that suddenly lose their job and say he cannot "pull his weight financially" anymore?

If women are going to view men based on their ability to provide and protect. Men need to view women based on their physical beauty and fitness.

It goes both ways. I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with couples where the woman complain endlessly about how much money her husband makes while looking like she fell off a Ben and Jerry's truck. Again, if a woman is going to continue to select men based on their sole ability to provide and protect for them then don't be surprised when men don't want to put up with fatties.

The genesis of the human relationship goes a little something like this.

Women control access to sex.
Men control commitment.

If women want long term relationships, don't get fat. You can't have it both ways. I've seen so many wives leave their husbands because he lost his job and had to take a lower earning job which put a dent in the lifestyle she was accustom to.

The same principal applies to women. Men like beauty, when a woman in the relationship gets fat, he needs to treat it just like women treat it when a man loses his job.

That is why if she gains a ton of weight like 50 to 100 pounds and her eating habits are bad i might be out. I will tell you this if it gets to the point she can be on the TV show my 600 pound life i will be out the door before that point.

I do not mind if she gains some weight it not the end of the world. I seen woman that need to eat it do not want a woman that looks like she does intense exercises in her apartment involving a lighter and spoon and the weight just melts off .

Old 07-01-2014, 09:11 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,677,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Use a more passive approaches like:

"Wow, check out ESPN showing the women of the Crossfit games. These women are incredible with the shape they are in. They look amazing and sexy"

"One of the female instructors at the gym complimented me today on my abs. It really made me feel great that she noticed me. It was cool that someone like her who is so busy and in demand by clients and is also in outstanding shape came over to specifically compliment me"

"Some young ladies asked to feel my bicep and they were all like "Ooooooooo...wow!!! that is so sexy""

You need to follow up with enthusiastically saying "It was so cool" or "It was awesome" or something like that.
No, do not say or do any of that. Horrible idea.

Quote:
Sad, isn't it?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
No, do not say or do any of that. Horrible idea.
Yeah, saying any of that would make most women just think you're going to cheat on her, not inspire any sort of health improvement.

Sometimes I think it's hard for men to understand the complicated relationship between women and their bodies. For a lot of women, it's a minefield, and having someone she loves and trusts criticize her appearance, even from a place of caring, can be triggering.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:16 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,815 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking.

If one of you is in great shape and your church is the gym and the other is overweight and hates to exercise, then consider you might not have compatible lifestyles. Find someone you're more compatible with.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,842,419 times
If they don't ask for your advice, don't tell them.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:36 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,403,603 times
Meanwhile, your SO is posting here asking....How can I tell my man he's an arse?

The posts on here make my head hurt.

If you want her in better shape, start having dates that include fitness and healthy food. You have to do it too. Don't say anything about her being fat or overweight. Definitely do not start saying nice things about other in shape women. Sheesh!

Gym memberships will do nothing unless you BOTH meet there and work out together.

Here are some ideas:

You cook a healthy and tasteful meal and then after eating go for a walk to the park and play frisbee.

You go swimming and challenge her to a playful race.

Work out at the gym with her and then give her a massage or something she finds rewarding. ( the so called carrot method)

Go to the beach and walk in the sand for miles collecting shells and holding hands.

Go for a bike ride to a restaurant close by and make sure it's a healthy place.

Make over your diet and ask for her support in your bid to get healthy. No woman can resist this. Tell her any of your health reasons if you have them like high cholesterol, blood pressure, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss