Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times

Advertisements

it aint hard for me, i dont drink soda... ok i may possibly have a 16oz pineapple fanta from a convenient store in the dead of summer every once in a while but thats pretty much it

i aint big on sweets, not really into desert and all that but again every so often i'll get a random craving for apple or pecan pie with some blue bell or maybe a butterfinger or something, lol and i'll eat that mofo

now bread on the other hand well... i havent ate bread in a while, its more periodic i do like fresh baked ciabatta or italian bread so i'll indulge for maybe a week then lay off for a while

but out of everything i notice with my body, i only gain weight if i start eating a bunch of sweets...if i dont eat sweets and eat everything else i drop like a bunch weight automatically

so sugar is the enemy... and on top of that i'm allergic to all of those artificial sweetners, so my diet is mostly all savory food and water

also i can eat chips... for some reason i dont get fat off of chips...weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:00 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
So, how do those of you on sugar-free diets feel about stevia?

I've been wheat-free for a few years now, but lately I'm slipping. I also have had way too much sugar lately and really want to cut back on that. I stopped drinking diet soda, which was huge for me. I think I'm finally ready to tackle those other sugars: chocolate, ice cream, mostly. But, I'm not sure if I can really go without anything sweet at all. Last night, for example, I had strawberries with whipped cream (made at home, added some liquid stevia).

I really want to lose weight. I have such a hard time staying grain free and sugar free in social settings. I also want to stop drinking alcohol, but man, it's like the only thing I have in a social setting!

Where does dark chocolate (85%) fit into things for you guys?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:21 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

I've been wheat-free for a few years now, but lately I'm slipping. I also have had way too much sugar lately and really want to cut back on that. I stopped drinking diet soda, which was huge for me. I think I'm finally ready to tackle those other sugars: chocolate, ice cream, mostly. But, I'm not sure if I can really go without anything sweet at all. Last night, for example, I had strawberries with whipped cream (made at home, added some liquid stevia).

I really want to lose weight. I have such a hard time staying grain free and sugar free in social settings. I also want to stop drinking alcohol, but man, it's like the only thing I have in a social setting!

Its a tough balance thats for sure. I have an incredible sweet tooth after dinner. I heat up some frozen berries, put them over some full fat greek yogurt and then pour a little bit of sugar free 'maple' syrup over it. Is kills the craving. You need to have plenty of low carb options in your house to grab and eat. Do not go to a social function hungry. Eat something high in fat and protein before you go out. That will kill your appetite. I love my wine and it is non negotiable. I work it in and somehow I have managed to create a balance. It aint easy, but quality of life is so important. Fix what you can, work with what you can't.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
So, how do those of you on sugar-free diets feel about stevia? ..... Where does dark chocolate (85%) fit into things for you guys?
For me, I've found artificial sweeteners are counter-productive and keep me from my ultimate goal of getting over my addiction to sugar. But that's me, and it's based on this philosophy:

Just like people don't drink alcohol for thirst, we don't eat sugar for hunger. Instead, those things are stimulants, releasing dopamine in our systems and lighting up our brains with lots of feel good sensations. For lots and lots of people, this is no big deal. They can drink alcohol in moderation and have an occasional piece of cake and never crave more. But there are other people who can't. Call us sensitive or compulsive or whatever word you want to use. For some of us, that stimulation only triggers the need for more. Our brains react with the feeling that if one was good, five will be great.

I went through this with alcohol and cigarettes, and learned that the only way to get over them was to abstain long enough to kill those brain receptors, and then never start up again. It took a while, but these days, I can sit in a bar and drink a coke and not desire a margarita at all. And despite being a pack a day smoker for 27 years, I haven't had a craving for a cigarette in years. But my compulsive nature is still there. It's just moved over to sugar, and the same addictive behavior is there again. One piece of candy triggers the overwhelming desire to have 10 more. And I found artificial sweeteners, and even high sugar fruit like grapes and pineapple, just perpetuate those cravings.

So for me, to get past the constant battle against over-indulging in sweets, I'm going to have to abstain long enough to kill those receptors. And once I do, I would probably be smart to stay away for good. I just don't trust a downslide.

I also am trying to change my palate. When I eat candy, an apple by comparison tastes dull and flavorless. Now that I've been off sugar for three weeks, an apple tastes sweet and delicious. I've done the same with salt and am now at the point where I can't so much as eat salted nuts. The salt feels like acid on my tongue. So that is another reason why I'm staying away from artificial sweeteners. They may be fine in the body but they trick the brain and only perpetuate those neural connections that keep you craving sugar.

Like I said, this is just me though. If you're someone who doesn't battle with over-indulgence and would just like to get the sugar out of your diet, I think switching to artificial sweeteners is fine. For me, I really have to get off all of it.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:24 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
For me, I've found artificial sweeteners are counter-productive and keep me from my ultimate goal of getting over my addiction to sugar. But that's me, and it's based on this philosophy:

Just like people don't drink alcohol for thirst, we don't eat sugar for hunger. Instead, those things are stimulants, releasing dopamine in our systems and lighting up our brains with lots of feel good sensations. For lots and lots of people, this is no big deal. They can drink alcohol in moderation and have an occasional piece of cake and never crave more. But there are other people who can't. Call us sensitive or compulsive or whatever word you want to use. For some of us, that stimulation only triggers the need for more. Our brains react with the feeling that if one was good, five will be great.

I went through this with alcohol and cigarettes, and learned that the only way to get over them was to abstain long enough to kill those brain receptors, and then never start up again. It took a while, but these days, I can sit in a bar and drink a coke and not desire a margarita at all. And despite being a pack a day smoker for 27 years, I haven't had a craving for a cigarette in years. But my compulsive nature is still there. It's just moved over to sugar, and the same addictive behavior is there again. One piece of candy triggers the overwhelming desire to have 10 more. And I found artificial sweeteners, and even high sugar fruit like grapes and pineapple, just perpetuate those cravings.

So for me, to get past the constant battle against over-indulging in sweets, I'm going to have to abstain long enough to kill those receptors. And once I do, I would probably be smart to stay away for good. I just don't trust a downslide.

I also am trying to change my palate. When I eat candy, an apple by comparison tastes dull and flavorless. Now that I've been off sugar for three weeks, an apple tastes sweet and delicious. I've done the same with salt and am now at the point where I can't so much as eat salted nuts. The salt feels like acid on my tongue. So that is another reason why I'm staying away from artificial sweeteners. They may be fine in the body but they trick the brain and only perpetuate those neural connections that keep you craving sugar.

Like I said, this is just me though. If you're someone who doesn't battle with over-indulgence and would just like to get the sugar out of your diet, I think switching to artificial sweeteners is fine. For me, I really have to get off all of it.
Stevia is a plant - I've grown it in my garden - it is not an artificial sweetener. I use liquid pure stevia from Whole Foods - I use it in moderation - mostly on my oatmeal every morning. It is a great alternative to sugar.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Stevia is a plant - I've grown it in my garden - it is not an artificial sweetener. I use liquid pure stevia from Whole Foods - I use it in moderation - mostly on my oatmeal every morning. It is a great alternative to sugar.
Unfortunately for me, it's not a matter of whether or not the sweetener is natural. I need to stay away from any food that is very sweet. About the only things I've been able to manage eating in moderate proportions are low-sugar fruits like apples, dried apricots, prunes and blueberries. It's really about how the brain responds to the stimulus. If it's sweet enough, I'd eat a whole pint of ice cream sweetened with Stevia just as quickly as I'd eat one sweetened with sugar or fructose.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:

Because of an underlying serious illness I am on a very specialized diet and I have been grain-free, sugar-free for years now. I can eat whatever fruits I want except watermelon (but I think that is just me). I can not do the artifical sweeteners at all. The diet I am on allows you to use fruit purées, which I use in moderation, and honey, which I use as a rare special treat. Not everyone on my diet can use stevia, but I have no issues with it provided I only use it in its liquid form with no additives like maltodextrin or erythritol. I get my chocolate fix by mixing hot milk, unsweetened cocoa, vanilla, and stevia to make hot chocolate.

Dark chocolate still has sugar.

After a while you learn how to accommodate yourself in social settings. For me, the difference in my health wins out over a temporary pleasure. Besides, I'm everyone's favorite party animal because I'm always willing to be the designated driver.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-04-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
After a while you learn how to accommodate yourself in social settings. For me, the difference in my health wins out over a temporary pleasure. Besides, I'm everyone's favorite party animal because I'm always willing to be the designated driver.
I find it odd that when I mention I gave up sugar and flour, people freak out and try and find ways for me to keep eating it. They throw out cautions like I'll deprive myself and how that's bad--bad!! But no one ever tells an alcoholic they need to drink.

To me, it's the same thing. You learn to live without it and after a while, it's really not a big deal.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
I find it odd that when I mention I gave up sugar and flour, people freak out and try and find ways for me to keep eating it. They throw out cautions like I'll deprive myself and how that's bad--bad!! But no one ever tells an alcoholic they need to drink.

To me, it's the same thing. You learn to live without it and after a while, it's really not a big deal.
I didn't have that issue, but I think it was because I had been so sick that people understood.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:58 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Great point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss