Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Unfortunately, my experience says you can't. I was completely off sugar for a good three years and did very well--lost about 30 lbs and felt great. Then I got cocky and figured that if I just had one piece every once in awhile it would be fine, and for awhile it was. But those pieces got more and more frequent until I went rolling down the cliff that starts with a slippery slope and it was really really hard to build my intention back up--took years and I gained back all but 10 of my lbs.

Good to know. I'd done that with cigarettes. Quit for a year, then thought I was "cured" and could have a smoke on occasion. Took me about 6 months but I was back up to a pack a day. Most infuriating thing I've ever done to myself is start up again. Quitting is sooo hard, having to do it twice sucked!

I would be smart to learn from your experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 04:27 AM

128 posts, read 207,659 times
I tried that diet too...didn't last. One day I was looking for my keys and found them in the freezer. Then I put the milk in the cupboard, and found my wallet in the fridge. It put me completely in a fog. Oh well, gotta try again.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacman View Post
An anti-sugar thread turns into a low-carb thread. Hmmm. People need to realize that getting you to equate carbs with sugar is brainwashing.

It sounds like low-carb is hard (because it's not natural). So why not just do the low-fat diet (which allows fat) is easy, and creates a win-win life, instead of a deep, dark hole.
Are you an associate of Big Insulin?

Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM

192 posts, read 250,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Are you an associate of Big Insulin?
I can no longer tell if people are being sarcastic. (because some don't leave the clues, which are so necessary in the diet community). Yeah, yeah there's no big "Insulin" company, but a prominent Author used the term "Sugar cartel" seriously.

ps - yeah I know it's a joke, but some people buy it.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
Quote:
I can no longer tell if people are being sarcastic. (because some don't leave the clues, which are so necessary in the diet community). Yeah, yeah there's no big "Insulin" company, but a prominent Author used the term "Sugar cartel" seriously.

ps - yeah I know it's a joke, but some people buy it.
OK, so the term "Big Insulin" is a little over the top. But...

After personal experience with true low-carb intake, and the experience of others around me, the conventional wisdom about diabetes seems designed to enrich the diabetes-industrial complex.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 PM

138 posts, read 173,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
This is so true. It seems like people are always trying to get me to eat wheat. My birthday is coming up and I just know there will be an ice cream cake or something and a lot of pressure to eat it. It's almost impossible for me to go even a week without a social setting like that where I'm pressured into eating/drinking something that I shouldn't. If I could get to the point where I no longer craved these foods it may not be such a big deal... the problem is that I can't seem to get to that state because things come up so frequently and I honestly still enjoy all of those bad foods.

I found that message so tiring when I was in WW. Most of the people around me were gaining and losing the same 5 pounds over and over. Very few lost any real weight and even fewer kept it off. The one woman in my meetings that lost a significant amount of weight went on a paleo diet. Go figure, right?
I can really relate to this. With three kids, holidays, visits to family, etc. , seems like there's always a temptation to indulge. People don't openly pressure me much, but some circumstances make it harder to walk away.

In the middle of October I was diagnosed with fatty liver. It's been a real wake up call for me. The doctor said the weight has to go. At this point I'm just greatly reducing wheat and sugar, while trying to completely eliminate certain items - like soda. So far, I've lost about 8 lbs. It's helped that the diagnosis has scared me and my cravings for some stuff are suppressed to a great extent due to that fear.

Keeping a food diary seems to help a great deal, I have an app on my phone that tracks calories, exercise, and weight loss. I'm not really "counting" calories at this point - mostly it reminds me to choose better foods. Something about having to type/write down that I've eaten 1/2 a cake or bag of candy makes me pause, cringe, and slowly back away from the temptation.

I'd actually lost 65 lbs. between babies 2 and 3, but a funny thing happens with my metabolism during pregnancy. I can pretty much eat anything, and struggle to add pounds. Unfortunately, after the pregnancy is done, I still feel like eating that way and the pounds just add up. It's tough to make the switch back.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
fatty liver
Why isn't this "nuff said"? It's not carby liver, or sugar liver. I don't get why people block out the facts, and buy into carb-fear. Find both sides of the issue, and it becomes obvious. Everyone with fat, diabetes, fatty liver eats a high-fat diet.

And.... Carbs can't convert into much fat: The unique merits of a low-fat diet for weight control. - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/6/707.full

Old 11-08-2014, 11:33 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
At this point I'm just greatly reducing wheat and sugar, while trying to completely eliminate certain items - like soda. So far, I've lost about 8 lbs. It's helped that the diagnosis has scared me and my cravings for some stuff are suppressed to a great extent due to that fear.
Yes, that's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm not completely Nazi about wheat and sugar to the point where I won't eat anything with BBQ sauce on it, or won't have a breaded pork chop. Just trying to stay away from the processed stuff, the obvious baked goods, candy, etc.

Good luck on your diet! Eight pounds is great!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Why isn't this "nuff said"? It's not carby liver, or sugar liver. I don't get why people block out the facts, and buy into carb-fear. Find both sides of the issue, and it becomes obvious. Everyone with fat, diabetes, fatty liver eats a high-fat diet.

And.... Carbs can't convert into much fat: The unique merits of a low-fat diet for weight control. - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central

No common energy currency: de novo lipogenesis as the road less traveled
Europe has different breads and grains than the US. The US has some of the worst wheat of all, semi dwarf high yield wheat with the highest gluten content. Green revolution was 1970, helped eradicate a good chunk of world hunger, but that meant wheat changed dramatically. Modified wheat hit shelves of grocery stores in the US in the 1980s. Obesity and overweight issues became far more prevalent after that. A modified Paleo diet is certainly not high fat at all. It is fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and some starch items.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 PM

"overweight issues became far more prevalent after that."

Gross correlation. and a dirty trick from Paleo authors. Gluten doesn't make u fat. I was called emaciated by "anonChick" after 40 years of wheat(1+ pound a day).

And carbs can not make you fat. The unique merits of a low-fat diet for weight control. - Abstract - Europe PubMed Central I've posted this link 20 times here. ps - just realized I posted it above. So what are you saying? It's like you just want people eating lots of meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss